• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best and Worst National Champs jerseys

Page 66 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
DF0C-y2XoAEZG4i.jpg

Nearly impossible to see but yes, there is a new national champion jersey hidden in here...

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

classicomano said:
This just in, disappointed with Sinkeldam leaving the team, Sunweb have decided to instead butcher de National TT suit of Dumoulin. Look out for this monstrosity in the Binckbank Tour.
I really have no idea why Sunweb is doing this. The only thing the team will 'gain' from this is angry Dutch fans.

Re: Re:

wouterkaas said:
classicomano said:
This just in, disappointed with Sinkeldam leaving the team, Sunweb have decided to instead butcher de National TT suit of Dumoulin. Look out for this monstrosity in the Binckbank Tour.
I really have no idea why Sunweb is doing this. The only thing the team will 'gain' from this is angry Dutch fans.

Honestly what's the point of teams butchering those jerseys, yes they get more publicity but the only thing they're doing is angering the fans.
I don't think any cycling fan is currently thinking to pick Sunweb as a first option to seek a holiday.

And for the point, I don't see how they will get more publicity. Particularly, the dutch jersey is very colourful and can be spotted from a distance on the heli shot. Add the Sunweb logo and you get a jersey that shows more the rider and the sponsor in the middle of the bunch (and a good NC jersey attracts the eyes of the public) than another black and white boring as hell jersey.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
wouterkaas said:
classicomano said:

Honestly what's the point of teams butchering those jerseys, yes they get more publicity but the only thing they're doing is angering the fans.
I don't think any cycling fan is currently thinking to pick Sunweb as a first option to seek a holiday.

Apparently the explanation from the team director of Sunweb is this, roughly translated: "The interest for national championships has been declining, while the interest for global races is increasing. More top-of-the-bill riders will skip the NC to prepare for the TDF. We still want to invest in winning the championship and of course we're proud of the champion and his jersey, but in the end we (the team) are the ones paying the riders. We, the team, invest and then we want to see it returned. We will honor the jersey but the team behind it as well"

Source (in Dutch), final paragraph: http://www.ad.nl/tour-de-france/teambaas-spekenbrink-een-verzameling-vedetten-dat-werkt-niet~a817a4bb/

At least that's a somewhat reasonable explanation for it, although I don't see how a proper champion's jersey would not honor the team. Tom Dumoulin's former ( :sad: ) TT suit shows that pretty well...

RossB said:
Any pic of the EC jersey? I cant find any good photos on google.
This is the 4th hit on Google when you search for "european champion cycling" :razz:
sptdw4162_490.jpg

Well, I think the interest for national championships is the same it has always been. People are indeed interested in NC, but it's pure logic. They all happen on the same time frame, the european ones at the same time, with bad coverage on most of the cases, with teams divided between 4, 5, 6 countries. What do they expect? 10 million viewers for each nat championship?

And even if the interest for the national championship race is poor, I don't see how that correlates with the interest for the national champion on the year after the race.

Re: Re:

wouterkaas said:
Apparently the explanation from the team director of Sunweb is this, roughly translated: "The interest for national championships has been declining, while the interest for global races is increasing. More top-of-the-bill riders will skip the NC to prepare for the TDF. We still want to invest in winning the championship and of course we're proud of the champion and his jersey, but in the end we (the team) are the ones paying the riders. We, the team, invest and then we want to see it returned. We will honor the jersey but the team behind it as well"

This would hold more water if the kit in question represented Sunweb a bit better, but it is so similar to last year's Giant-Alpecin kit, with simply one logo swapped for another changing about 10% of the jersey. The obvious design, those black lines, create a brand identity for Giant, as with the women's teams that are similarly attired, but Sunweb's corporate identity is scarcely represented: the yellow that features on their website is not there, and the chance to design the kit with a prominent branding was eschewed.

"The interest for national championships has been declining, while the interest for global races is increasing. More top-of-the-bill riders will skip the NC to prepare for the TDF. "

I think the other thing they're not saying is that there are a lot more national champions in the pro peloton these days. 20-30 years ago the only national champs you'd see in the Grand Tours/Monuments would be France, Italy, Spain, Belgium etc. the core European countries. Other countries wouldn't even have enough pro cyclists to have a pro road race Champs.

Now you have upwards of 50 different nationalities represented in the World Tour. In any given race a quarter of the field might be wearing a country jersey of some description.

TRENDING THREADS