• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best and Worst National Champs jerseys

Page 72 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Don't like the Bora ones. Apart from Sagan's rainbow jersey, all of them have too big a sponsor logo meaning the flag part is relegated too far down the jersey to really come across as significant. Obviously they would probably have done the same with the rainbow jersey if they could, but the rules are stricter on that; I know that obviously that's what Bora and Hansgrohe pay their money for, but might have been better to have the Bora logo above the national stripes and the Hansgrohe one below, to frame the national flag bands without compromising the space given to the sponsors. Even better if Hansgrohe would be prepared to invert the colours of their logo to not break up the white, but it can work without that (à la Voeckler's Europcar French jersey in 2010-1).

Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
DUQNii0U0AAl3mq.jpg

Difficult angle, looks a bit confused.
He does

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

JoeD1997 said:
On stage one of the U23 race Toscanna Terra di Ciclismo Eroica, U23 Moroccan RR champ Abderrahim Zahiri took the win, his first in Europe. Not sure how to post an image on the forum, but the link on his team's website shows his national champ kit off, which I think is a nice jersey: http://www.uctrevigiani.com/en/first-win-in-italy-for-zahiri/
Yes, it's a nice jersey, not baad at all.
Abderrahim is a good rider, not your typical Moroccan rider, more of a short, compact climber, but also strong on the flat, like you'd expect from someone who was able to survive on the Moroccan domestic scene.

Re: Re:

jaylew said:
RedheadDane said:
Well, making a vertically striped flag the "right way" round just wouldn't work; the proportions of the human torso doesn't fit.
Not true.

hOXnPBy.jpg

I don't mind the sideways flag too much if the team incorporates the national colors in the bibs as well but otherwise I'm not a fan.

Flags are (usually) wider than they are tall, most human torsos are taller than they are wide. Which of course means that it's the horisontally striped flags that should be like that.
And having the Scandinavian Cross jersey the non-sideways is just an impossibility. Unless you go by the non-full jersey route...
The Swiss flag is a bit of a challenge, not to mention the Nepalise flag, though I'm not sure if there even is an official UCI Nepalise champion, though I can't see why not.

Certainly flags are generally wider than they are tall and human torsos are opposite but this in no way means you can't do a jersey/kit that reflects the actual flag orientation as evidenced above. The Scandinavian cross jerseys are also doable although those are always fine no matter how you do it. Whether the cross is centered or off center, they look good either way.

HL0zRib.jpg

7AGIsBB.jpg

jaylew said:
RedheadDane said:
Well, making a vertically striped flag the "right way" round just wouldn't work; the proportions of the human torso doesn't fit.
Not true.

I don't mind the sideways flag too much if the team incorporates the national colors in the bibs as well but otherwise I'm not a fan.
Really? It's the classic way to design a national kit for countries with tricolor flags. It's always been that way.
I mean obviously I'm not going to tell you what you should and shouldn't like but you almost make it sound like it's wrong
0000012735.jpeg

jaylew said:
RedheadDane said:
jaylew said:

Eh... that's sideways. And Hagen's have the wrong shape for the cross.
I think they both look great. Anyway, at this point I don't really know how or if we're even disagreeing :p

You're against sideway flags, I'm pointing out that in some cases it's the only way to make it look right.
(But I don't seriously think flags with horisontal stripes should be turned sideways.)

LaFlorecita said:
jaylew said:
RedheadDane said:
Not true.

Really? It's the classic way to design a national kit for countries with tricolor flags. It's always been that way.
I mean obviously I'm not going to tell you what you should and shouldn't like but you almost make it sound like it's wrong
0000012735.jpeg
Certainly not wrong. It's all subjective. I've just never been one to stand by tradition for tradition's sake. I embrace change, particularly when there is likely no meaningful reason for a tradition's origin or why it should continue that way, especially when we're talking about something relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I like to see teams actually try to design something (yes, they often fail miserably) rather than just do a sideways flag. I know I'm probably in the minority around here but what point would this thread even be if every nats jersey looked exactly the same for every nation, every year?

TRENDING THREADS