• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best cycling films?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I really enjoyed "The Least Expected Day". This wasn't a united, whitewashed, feelgood, sanitised "documentary" it had some grit to it.

It didn't shy away from Carapaz signing with Ineos, Quintana and Landas's rivalry, Valverde's occasional frustration with his teammates and fatigue with the rainbow jersey, Soler's ambitions, I found it very refreshing.

Seeing that happy, united squad at the Giro and then comparing it with the Vuelta team, there's a stark contrast.

And it's beautifully shot and produced to boot.

Reactions: Sciatic and Koronin
Don't think I have more suggestions than already mentioned here. Instead I'll suggest a book:
"The Land of Second Chances" by Tim Lewis.
Completely blew my legs away under me.

Oh yes a movie:
"The Impossible Hour" by Jorgen Leth who also made "Stars and Water Carriers" and "A Sunday in Hell". All mandatory classics.

Reactions: movingtarget
Don't think anyone's mentioned The High Life, a TV documentary on one of my earliest cycling heros Robert Millar. It can be found on youtube..

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6FM3koJ6HIA

It's a great documentary. That scene of him sitting on the bumper of the team car with a towel after a race. No team bus. No fussing around him. Different era.

Some of the cycling films, like the CSC one, are now hilarious in the light of what we now know about the doping.

Still my favourite is the comedy 'Le vélo de Ghislain Lambert'. Not a documentary, but could be.

I enjoyed 'Overcoming'. It covers the 2004 Tour de France alongside Team CSC, managed by Bjarne Riis. Some other very interesting characters are Ivan Basso, Jens Voigt, Bobby Julich and Carlos Sastre.

'The Road Uphill' covers Team Radioshack Leopard's 2011 Tour. Main characters are the Schleck bros. Every Andy-nostalgic should watch this one, although it's quite painful.

Just watched the Road Uphill. Really good insight. Was a bit surprised that it didn't reflect on Schleck's decision to follow Contador on the Alpe stage. That essentially threw away any possibility of gaining time. The time lost on Manse was a big factor, but they don't let him have such a gap on the Galibier if he hadn't shed so much time.

Heartbreaking to see him reflect on the time trial loss. It would be the only day of his career in yellow. The fact that the doc ends with him having just turned 26 and his career was basically over.

Crazy to think he still is only 35! Same age as Nibali. Can see he didn't have that killer mentality needed to overcome his TT limitations. But today he seems fairly content without the stress of racing.

I highly recommend the behind the scenes films of the Ronde van Vlaanderen from 2016-19. I binge watched all of them in one sitting a couple of months ago and loved every minute of it.

De Ronde 100 - Behind the scenes

^^^ This has the incredible production value... What a documentary!!! You really feel like you are there, the music, the commentary, the people, the noise, the cars, OMG!!! Absolutely STUNNING!!! Just watched the one where Sagan won and Cancellara raced his final Ronde... What a SHOW!!! No wonder Flanders and Roubaix are the best Monuments!!!

Those crazy Belgians :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Reactions: Bananawatch
I really enjoyed "The Least Expected Day". This wasn't a united, whitewashed, feelgood, sanitised "documentary" it had some grit to it.

It didn't shy away from Carapaz signing with Ineos, Quintana and Landas's rivalry, Valverde's occasional frustration with his teammates and fatigue with the rainbow jersey, Soler's ambitions, I found it very refreshing.

Seeing that happy, united squad at the Giro and then comparing it with the Vuelta team, there's a stark contrast.

And it's beautifully shot and produced to boot.
Landa cheering on Carapaz on the radio during the Courmayeur stage of the Giro was a highlight for me, the Giro team had great chemistry. Overall a great documentary.

TRENDING THREADS