• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

best descender

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

best descender

• popovych

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
two reasons why I truly believe Nibali is the best descender:

1-) Unlike Cancellara, & Gilbert-whose descending skills are magnificent too- Nibali is way lighter than they are, so he has to make up that limitation with pedaling & bike handling.
2-) you have to be a crazy mothafvcka to do a bunny hop at 90 km p/h while descending-like the one he did this past Giro:D

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
nibali has guts but no technique(like celestino and samu used to have). downhilling is an art like savoldelli could. now in europe you have ancellara who is an excellent example of this, also guys like hushovd and haedo but we rarely see them

ofc ryo had to come and bash nibali and put 3 south american no1 has ever heard of has best decenders. typical ryo is typical.

i like to take into account the situations where this guys have to pull a great descend and the GT GC contenders deserve more credit here imo. going all out in a descend because you got dropped and are on your way to lose the goal of your entire season or going all out because you are on your way to achieve your season goal is much different then doing it to make the time cut. the pressure can't even be compared.
anyway for me nibali arroyo and samu are the best for the reasons above. btw those 3 nibali edges it simple for the high speed bunny hop :p

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
3 costa ricans yes, except libardo nino, costa ricans like basks are overall the best downhillers in the world. colombians are one of the worst but there are of course some good when you have so many pro's

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
isn't the 90% of the euskatel team basque? aside from sammu i have not seen any good descening done by them. sprinters and guys like cancellara have it easy compared to the gc guys. i was reading an interview with mark cavendish where he stated that he paces himself to just finish within the time limit but be fresh and the same applies for hushvod and to some instance cancellara. they are climbing easier so they have a clearer mind while going down.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
two reasons why I truly believe Nibali is the best descender:

1-) Unlike Cancellara, & Gilbert-whose descending skills are magnificent too- Nibali is way lighter than they are, so he has to make up that limitation with pedaling & bike handling.
2-) you have to be a crazy mothafvcka to do a bunny hop at 90 km p/h while descending-like the one he did this past Giro:D

Gilbert doesn't weight nearly as much as Cancellara.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yISN7pgfCtY

You need balls for this as well by the way.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Gilbert doesn't weight nearly as much as Cancellara.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yISN7pgfCtY

You need balls for this as well by the way.

based in what i saw so far the winner is cancellara. but i am a young guy you know. lol

i would like to know what's the deal with some guys regarding gilbert's weight.

some people here are always saying things like he is all big and muscular, has upper body muscles and that's why he is cool... bla bla.

i never saw that. isnt gilbert 15 to 20 kg lighter than an 82kg cancellara hushovd bonnen etc? yes he is..

if he is so muscular with 67kg and 1.75m, i must be really amazing with 1.80m and 84kg at 13%fat. lol cut the crap fanboys. xD but he really knows how to descend. amazing video pistolero.

I voted Cancellara...
Nibs is not bad either.
I didn't check out the links posted here...maybe one of these is the same one I am mentioning, but Fabu's famous 8 minute descent to catch the peloton...hairball stuff..and I never listen to the youtube audio--just like to watch it in silence...so I don't get distracted by the tunes. :D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
samuel-sanchez-gallery-getty.jpg

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
nibali is incredibly overrated in everything including downhillingh. last year in giro di lombardia gilbert showed he was better and he could not get a gap at all. also in giro he could never really distance his opponents like in the past savoldelli could. not even close

That was in the rain that's when technique counts a lot more I reckon

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
c&cfan said:
based in what i saw so far the winner is cancellara. but i am a young guy you know. lol

i would like to know what's the deal with some guys regarding gilbert's weight.

some people here are always saying things like he is all big and muscular, has upper body muscles and that's why he is cool... bla bla.

i never saw that. isnt gilbert 15 to 20 kg lighter than an 82kg cancellara hushovd bonnen etc? yes he is..

if he is so muscular with 67kg and 1.75m, i must be really amazing with 1.80m and 84kg at 13%fat. lol cut the crap fanboys. xD but he really knows how to descend. amazing video pistolero.

gilbert is 178 and 71 kg.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
what is amazing is seeing how many pro's are bad descenders, like LTD getting dropped by Cuenego the other day, how can you not be a good descender buy that point in your career?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Sheep said:
That was in the rain that's when technique counts a lot more I reckon

which is most important because you gain the most time with that. the best downhillers have always bene the most technical

indurain, jalabert, pantani, savoldelli

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I certainly don't think Nibali is the best descender the stages he has got gaps on riders on descents was due to the fac of lack of pace by leading riders or getting away from poor descenders.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:
what is amazing is seeing how many pro's are bad descenders, like LTD getting dropped by Cuenego the other day, how can you not be a good descender buy that point in your career?

Probably just fear. Don't forget that Ten Dam crashed in a descend in the Tour de Suisse just last year, breaking half the bones in his body. Took him the rest of the year to recuperate from that.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I think one day they should do a downhill time trial, send them all down a mountain and see what the times are like. That would be a better way to see where they all stand, although I don't think it would ever happen