• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

best descender

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

best descender

• popovych

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Watching the es highlights from stage 2, sagan went past contador and nocentini on the descent as if they were standing still.

Loved that part. :D And this was just in a prep race descent. Just think what he'll do descending the Poggio. :eek:

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
A bit pointless as a poll, as we do not see on tv a lot of the guys in descents, but only a small group of either GT podium pretenders and whoever managed to escape, so how can we judge?

Without reading through all the posts, the gist i am getting is that everyone shouts out for the guy he likes most.

Pat

Btw where is little schleck, he descends like the devil himself was chasing him, esp if it is wet

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Cancellara, Hushovd, Sagan, Gilbert, Nibali.

There are also lot's of guys who can do a great descend, but we just don't know (a lot) about it because we never see it live on TV.

I dont think ive ever seen someone quite in the exact position that Sagan was in that clip or on my avatar.

He was wobbling quite noticeably at one point but gets it under control just like youd expect him to, despite his other obvious talents his ex-stunt rider skills are clearly very helpful to him.

I vote Sagan!

then you probably don't watch cycling very often. . . even andy schleck has ridden on that position on multiple occasions before. . . .

p.s. providing some visual evidence

andy schleck doing it
SCHLECK-DESCENDS-632x421.jpg

the "whole" peloton doing it
peloton-descent.jpg

Parrulo said:
then you probably don't watch cycling very often. . . even andy schleck has ridden on that position on multiple occasions before. . . .

andy schleck doing it

the "whole" peloton doing it
peloton-descent.jpg

Ha, I thought this might happen. I meant specifically how far over the front wheel Sagans head was, AND his hand position (right on the bottom of the drops). Maybe I just havent seen enough descending since last season and forgotten, but I think Sagan does it so well it deserves to be called a new position!

Parrulo said:

andy schleck doing it

Lol I remember Andy doing that once and then the guys descending "normally" like the guys behind him in the picture just passed him :D :cool: That was a nice moment.

MrTea1976 said:
Aren't the best descenders in the grupetto? Cavendish and some of the other sprinters take a huge amount of time on everyone when trying to avoid time limits.

This is certainly true. But I don't think we can underestimate the guys at the front who are often racing downhill, as opposed to 'just' trying to get down as fast as they can - that is, actually opening up gaps on others, taking the extra speed and risks such that another skilled rider behind can't follow. Nibali's descent to win the stage at Asolo 2010 sticks in the mind because he was still a potential GC contender but managed to ride away downhill from both Evans and Vino who were both extremely talented descenders themselves.

VO2 Max said:
This is certainly true. But I don't think we can underestimate the guys at the front who are often racing downhill, as opposed to 'just' trying to get down as fast as they can - that is, actually opening up gaps on others, taking the extra speed and risks such that another skilled rider behind can't follow. Nibali's descent to win the stage at Asolo 2010 sticks in the mind because he was still a potential GC contender but managed to ride away downhill from both Evans and Vino who were both extremely talented descenders themselves.

aye. Nibali can do some crazy **** when he really wants to. Vino won the 06 Vuelta on a decent, but in the later years of his career (after the ban) he was not as crazy as earlier.

everybody keeps saying that it's very difficult to say because there are not comparisons. And this makes me think, why the hell aren't some technical downhill only prologues used from time to time. That should be fun to watch. And in some GT e.g., the field would be wide enough that we would have much of our comparation, although there would definately remain some question marks.

I have voted for sagan, btw. Cancellara and Nibali behind him. He has a little bit more skill and gutts than those two. And definately more acceleration from the turns, which is very important too. And he was learning the downhill skill regularly as a teenager from this guy.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLRSj5i4XTU

TRENDING THREADS