• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best doped up performance of the year award (2014)

the nominations are..

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Why is Daniel Martin in the poll. His Lombardia win was as normal and believable as you can get. Not dominant on the mano a mano, instead he tactically ice cold owned everyone, and he certainly did not win against dopers. While I may give you Valverde and the others, the guys who finished third and fourth - Rui and Tim - are not. And again, he did not really beat any of them, did he? At least directly.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Which boxes?

:p

wheretobuysteroids.jpg

LaFlorecita said:
Which boxes?

Its a figure of speech.

The wider point being that not only did he beat a bunch of dopers in a doped race and set impressive times (not his pbs but then when you are the 2nd fastest climber of all time that doesn't happen every day anyway) but also he did it while recovering from a terrible injury which was supposed to have ended his season. The type of recovery that was absent from all sports until the 90's when better injury prevention drugs became available and miraculous recoveries became more normal.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
BigMac said:
Why is Daniel Martin in the poll. His Lombardia win was as normal and believable as you can get. Not dominant on the mano a mano, instead he tactically ice cold owned everyone, and he certainly did not win against dopers. While I may give you Valverde and the others, the guys who finished third and fourth - Rui and Tim - are not. And again, he did not really beat any of them, did he? At least directly.
Take a chill pill dude.

Or not.

Romandy Chris was pretty funny this year, just like his 'book'. Walsh for the win.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
And yes, the inclusion of Dan Martin in the poll but not some of the other monument winners (who also beat dopers) is very transparent behaviour from sceptic that ruins his own thread.
how's that?
this is a "best doping performance" poll, not a "most obvious doping performance" poll.

I voted Martin.

sniper said:
how's that?
this is a "best doping performance" poll, not a "most obvious doping performance" poll.

I voted Martin.

Then you must really just hate DMartin and generally believe he is doping no matter the race he is riding. He wasn't even the strongest in Lombardia and only won because of tactics. Yet he is somehow included in the poll???

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
That's hogwash and you know it. If that was the premise, there'd be no thread.

The Hitch said:
How was Martin Lombardia different from Terpstra PR or Gerrans LBL or even from Canc RVV?

Cance > TheRest said:
Then you must really just hate DMartin and generally believe he is doping no matter the race he is riding. He wasn't even the strongest in Lombardia and only won because of tactics. Yet he is somehow included in the poll???

Garmin are good at getting results while creating an aura of being anti-doping.
If you decide to dope, the Garmin way is probably the best (i.e. cleverest) way.
Saxo and Astana are clearly taking too many risks.
Sky have good protection from above, but they appear not to be very clever with doping.
Dan Martin is seen as clean by many. He's the winner of this poll for me.

sniper said:
Garmin are good at getting results while creating an aura of being anti-doping.
If you decide to dope, the Garmin way is probably the best (i.e. cleverest) way.
Saxo and Astana are clearly taking too many risks.
Sky have good protection from above, but they appear not to be very clever with doping.
Dan Martin is seen as clean by many. He's the winner of this poll for me.

That makes no sense with regards to this thread.

TRENDING THREADS