• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Grand Tour of the year

Best Grand Tour of the year

• Tour

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Giro

Votes: 56 51.4%
  • Vuelta

Votes: 44 40.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Giro - great last week, some fun stages early on, but too many star GC names missing and a couple of serious crashes to contenders. Also, I went to the Risoul stage and the organisation was shambolic there.
Tour - Awful, dull GC battle. A couple of interesting medium moutnain stages.
Vuelta - Loads of good action between GC contendes. Low quality sprints and too many stages where breakaway was allowed clear. Unpredictable racing.

Vuelta just shades it over Giro for GC battle between two best rides in the world and one of the great stages of recent times. Tour, without Sagan and GVA, would be challenging 2012 in terms of dullness.

1. Giro - long range attacks and the Nibali Turnaround
2. Vuelta - Short range attacks, Formigal but GC battle was lost too early by Formigal
3.Tour - Froome/Sagan Attacks, Close Sprint battles, Ventoux but little GC action
IMO rider quality doesnot matter as long as everybody is competitive. Unfortunately put Froome & Quintana in and it becomes a 2 way battle. Remove one and it is one sided and absolutely boring despite the quality. With Contador and Nibali the other contenders have a chance.

Vuelta
Giro
Tour

The epic Stage 15 to Aramon-Formigal is what separates La Vuelta from the Giro. Needless to say, both races were very good again this year, although none of the two races reach the greatness of last year's Giro.
Tour de France was . . . well . .. Tour de France :eek:

Great. As a Dutchman, I get to pick between Steven Kruijswijk losing out on a nigh certain Giro win, Bauke Mollema crashing away his 2nd place in the Tour and Tom Dumoulin crashing away his dreams of Olympic gold, and Steven Kruijswijk crashing out of the Vuelta.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Great. As a Dutchman, I get to pick between Steven Kruijswijk losing out on a nigh certain Giro win, Bauke Mollema crashing away his 2nd place in the Tour and Tom Dumoulin crashing away his dreams of Olympic gold, and Steven Kruijswijk crashing out of the Vuelta.
Think positive. Think Gesink. The eternal subtop man has won a stage!

1. Giro, an unreal last week saved a disappointing first two weeks (still OK but could've been much better)
2. Vuelta, Formigal and Aubisque were excellent and it was nice to see Quintana, Froome and Contador together.
3. Tour, I didn't watch most of it but heard it was pretty shocking.

In all seriousness, Giro>>>>>Vuelta>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> few pages of this >>>>>>>>>>>>> Tour.

Giro had some action on most of the early mountain stages, though gaps got barely created because they mostsly weren't mountain finishes. Then you had a good 20km of action on the Corvara stage, 60km of action on the Andalo stage, that again and a bunch of craziness on the Risoul stage, and 15km of action on the St Anna di Vinadio stage. Best week of racing I've ever seen.

Vuelta had the best GT stage of the year, 2 very good long range attacks by Orica, 3 of the MTF's provided good action, the rest where murito's being murito's. Breakaways weren't great, and sprint stages competition was the worst.

Tour. Even Sagan couldn't even come close to saving it from the last place. I got to see a Dutch guy win 2 stages, that was pretty neat, though if it weren't those 2, it wouldn't be questioning appeal of the Tour de France, I would be denying its existence. All the other entertainment for me was more to do with things happening that you just can't make up rather than good cycling.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I can do that now because someone has put the poll again.

Please, delete "Tour of California", take it seriously. I am not the one who put this option.

Close between Vuelta & Giro but Vuelta gets no1 on the score of the pedigree of those contending for the podium and the audacity of some of the GC moves attempted AND pulled off by major teams.

Tour .... barely at the party due to another UK Postal mugging

TRENDING THREADS