• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best high end Road bike bargain you have ever seen?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
laziali said:
You are correct that the two triangles of the CX-1 are made by Giant in Taiwan, but they are assembled and "tuned" in the process (and painted, of course like all other Colnagos) at Cambiago Lombardia.

C59 is still manufactured entirely in Italy. Likewise steel Masters which are all special order these days.

Monocoques and alu are manufactured entirely in Taiwan, although painted in Italy so as to claim the 50% value-add required to lawfully enable the "fatto in Italia" designation.

How long has that been the case? On the Colnago website it still says "available in 16 sizes and 3 color variations"--nothing about special order (not saying you're wrong, just surprise that this bike, which is still very popular--I see them around Seattle pretty often--would be special order only).

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
laziali said:
On your other comment, I too have never seen a Chinese knock off Colnago. Why is this so?

I'm sure Ernesto has spent mucho Lira on Chinese law firms to ensure his name stays intact. I would too if my pedigree was as extensive as his.

laziali said:
Beppe, here's a real one I found on eBay, Buckler colours too :D

OMG that Buckler livery is so cool!! Never seen one for sale. I like the Super, but the Master is where it's at. Winter project. Behold my training bike for almost my entire racing career!! 1998 MasterXLight. My plate is full with 2 restos and a new custom build this winter.

IMG_0486.JPG

simo1733 said:
I am in the market for a good riad frame soon.If we are talking about value for money high end road frames,I would put Giant TCR top followed by Canyon.

Giant's TCR Adv is probably the best bargain for a full pro race rig out there, if you can get over how hideous it looks. Amazing handling characteristics, almost telepathic at speed in corners and descending. Very much like the Colnago's I used to race on.

Wallace said:
How long has that been the case? On the Colnago website it still says "available in 16 sizes and 3 color variations"--nothing about special order (not saying you're wrong, just surprise that this bike, which is still very popular--I see them around Seattle pretty often--would be special order only).

Colnago has always been special order, unless your shop is stocked like this......

IMG_0467.JPG

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Giuseppe Magnetico said:
... the Master is where it's at. Winter project. Behold my training bike for almost my entire racing career!! 1998 MasterXLight. My plate is full with 2 restos and a new custom build this winter.

IMG_0486.JPG

Very nice indeed. One frame as the training bike throughout the career says a lot about Colnago's quality - especially the proprietary diconic X-light tubing. Have seen the bottom brackets drop out of more than one steel training bike from other frame-builders in my time.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
I'm neither a noob or know-nothing and the reseller doesn't "know" either. They hope they've chosen well from the few manufacturers turning out whole bikes with CEN certification and that's it. What's Colnago going to do differently at that point that makes it "better" than the other sticker set on the same line?

The expert's view is typical and legitimate Engineer worry. What is being described in the article is the risk inherent in building pretty much anything, only carbon makes detecting some failure conditions less likely.

Tinman is exactly right, waaaaaay too much BS in the bicycle retailing game.

I would argue the best deals are second-hand from people burned by the bike industry when they discover $10000 in gear doesn't make the sport easier.

Here's a detailed story and photoset on how the C-59 is made at Cambiago, not in Taiwan. Craftsmanship.

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/Features/content/67/4590/Being-There-The-Colnago-Factory-Tour.html Sample photos ...

Col7.jpg

Col9.jpg

Col21.jpg

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
laziali said:
Here's a detailed story and photoset on how the C-59 is made at Cambiago, not in Taiwan. Craftsmanship.

So your assertion is that only people in Europe can be craftsmen?

It's a shame no one has ever told Lexus that they manufacture crap.

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This record setting Volagi was free

Hi all not sure where to put this posting but this thread seemed particulatly topical :( .

Just want to ask for your help in finding my bike. It was stolen yesterday, 12/2/2012, from downtown Santa Cruz, CA between 5 and 6 pm (big cable was cut). It was not in very good shape, needs a full overhaul and new bearings, rings, and cogs, due to the fact that I put 10,000 miles on it between mid May and mid October this year. It also has pretty big gashes from running as-big-as-it-can-take 'cross tires on 2000 miles of dirt and mud, while setting the speed record on Russia's "Road of Bones". In its current state of disrepair, it's probably not worth too much, but it's an awesome bike, a soft enough ride to do at least thirty consective daily centuries on it or a couple of consecutive double centuries without giving you saddle sores, rails descents like a beast, has the stopping power of a brick wall and the turn carving abilities of a slot car, and it has a lot of sentimental value to me, as I tried to ride around the world on it.

Attached is a photo from before the trip. When it was stolen, it did not have gear, a rack, or aero bars and it had LOOK pedals and black chainrings, nor did it have a goat trying to eat it, nor was it at a cafe on the transiberian highway. With any luck it's in the hands of some Heroin junkie in Santa Cruz still and the cops will find it within the week, but the cut cable, new york lock, and Giro Aeon helmet were also taken which makes me think there was a truck involved and it's probably out of county. Please let me know if you see it on craigslist or in real life. 2012 Volagi Liscio 55cm, mix of very used DA and Ultegra, FSA cranks, white on black with black aluminum wheels, serial # ends in 0036. My number is 831 For_Won_Nine 8956.

Thank you!

Sean Ardley

831 For_Won_Nine 8956.

[firstname].[lastname]@gmail.com

7759167804_9e5d02518b_c.jpg

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Sean_A said:
Hi all not sure where to put this posting but this thread seemed particulatly topical :( .

Just want to ask for your help in finding my bike. It was stolen yesterday, 12/2/2012, from downtown Santa Cruz, CA between 5 and 6 pm (big cable was cut). It was not in very good shape, needs a full overhaul and new bearings, rings, and cogs, due to the fact that I put 10,000 miles on it between mid May and mid October this year. It also has pretty big gashes from running as-big-as-it-can-take 'cross tires on 2000 miles of dirt and mud, while setting the speed record on Russia's "Road of Bones". In its current state of disrepair, it's probably not worth too much, but it's an awesome bike, a soft enough ride to do at least thirty consective daily centuries on it or a couple of consecutive double centuries without giving you saddle sores, rails descents like a beast, has the stopping power of a brick wall and the turn carving abilities of a slot car, and it has a lot of sentimental value to me, as I tried to ride around the world on it.

Attached is a photo from before the trip. When it was stolen, it did not have gear, a rack, or aero bars and it had LOOK pedals and black chainrings, nor did it have a goat trying to eat it, nor was it at a cafe on the transiberian highway. With any luck it's in the hands of some Heroin junkie in Santa Cruz still and the cops will find it within the week, but the cut cable, new york lock, and Giro Aeon helmet were also taken which makes me think there was a truck involved and it's probably out of county. Please let me know if you see it on craigslist or in real life. 2012 Volagi Liscio 55cm, mix of very used DA and Ultegra, FSA cranks, white on black with black aluminum wheels, serial # ends in 0036. My number is 831 For_Won_Nine 8956.

Thank you!

Sean Ardley

That sucks! "Road of Bones" is on my bucket list thanks to you. Hope you recover your bike.

You might have been better off starting a new thread with this instead of a post, it'll get lost in the conversation here quickly. Maybe a moderator could move it for you..

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
That sucks! "Road of Bones" is on my bucket list thanks to you. Hope you recover your bike.

You might have been better off starting a new thread with this instead of a post, it'll get lost in the conversation here quickly. Maybe a moderator could move it for you..

Thanks! I just made a new thread.

Definitely go East to west or you won't make it past the first few days, and I'd recommend a 'Cross bike with suspension seatpost over my setup. Old (Summer) road has unbridged crossings that are likely not wadeable until mid July. Use Yandex maps and don't ride the Lena hwy. Got lots more advice if you want it!

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
How about a full custom made in Italy Sarto.Much cheaper than an S works Venge or other similar China made super bike in a limited range of sizes.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
So your assertion is that only people in Europe can be craftsmen?

It's a shame no one has ever told Lexus that they manufacture crap.

WTF??? Nothing to do with continent, everything to do with process.

From the Webster: Definition of CRAFTSMAN

1: a worker who practices a trade or handicraft
2: one who creates or performs with skill or dexterity especially

See photos above in my original post.

Some people ... :rolleyes: