• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Best male rider of the year 2020

Although I supported his main rivals at GTs this year I have to say Roglic. Big credit to him for shaking off this devastating Tour defeat and winning the Vuelta and LBL.
I'm a bit disappointed that Pogacar ended his season earlier and didn't take part in the Vuelta (unlike many Tour riders). Had he placed on the podium there I would probably choose him (as the Tour winner) but it wasn't the case.

Last edited:
There are really only two contenders for this, the two guys who each won two of the biggest nine races. I don’t see how anyone else can be in the conversation, unless you just rate the Tour so highly that the winner is always the rider of the year, but then it seems a bit pointless to have a rider of the year.

I don't follow. Roglic was the only one to win two of the biggest races (Grand Tours, monuments, WC).

While van der Poel and Fuglsang each won a one-day monument, they don't have a place on that list this year, imho.
Personally, i would have included Ganna instead.

How does MvdP not deserve his place? Winning de Ronde and the Binckbank Tour in spectacular fashion, he was clearly one of the ten best riders.

By that logic (who I thought was your friend) you could exclude a lot of riders and only have Alaphilippe, Pogacar, Roglic and Van Aert left.
That's not true at all. Evenepoel was dominant before and after the corona break, in 4 one week stage races both uphill and against the clock, over a period of 7 months.
Ganna became WCC on the track in February, and ITT on the road half a year later. And then he smashed the Giro yet a month later.
Hirschi was also great over a much longer period and on many more occasions.

Reactions: Sandisfan
That's not true at all. Evenepoel was dominant before and after the corona break, in 4 one week stage races both uphill and against the clock, over a period of 7 months.
Ganna became WCC on the track in February, and ITT on the road half a year later. And then he smashed the Giro yet a month later.

And van der Poel didn't obliterate the cross scene in January (if we're gonna bring other disciplines into this)?

I'll admit I hadn't thought of Ganna but no way is van der Poel's spot undeserved, are you kidding me?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Roglic and it's not really close for me.
A two GT podiums + Monument win season hadn't happened in a long long time. You have to wonder how his season would have looked like without COVID and the Dauphine crash.
It happened in 2017 with Nibali ( 3rd in Giro, 2nd in Vuelta, 1st in Lombardia ) though Roglic converted one of the GT podiums to win.

And despite all that Van Der Poel had a better season than all of them..

TRENDING THREADS