• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best One Day Road Rider of the Decade 2010-2019

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
The 2010-2019 thread inspired me.
Who do you expect for the next 10 years?

More Boonen? Gilbert? For how long?
Edvald Boason Hagen? Lars Boom?
Andy Schleck?

Some promising under 23 riders?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
For the first years, Cancellara, Boonen, Gilbert, Cunego, maybe Rodriguez can start winning now he's on a new team.

Boom should do well, he might even pick up a monument or 5. ;)
Same for EBH. Schlecklet will probably put his entire focus on the GTs.
Breschel is going to win something big, no doubt about it. If Haussler can grow even more he'll be up there.

For the last years: Phinney is showing promise, both on the track and the road and I think Nikolas Maes will become a contender for Flanders and Roubaix.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
For the next generation of riders just breaking into the pro ranks I think Lars Boom has to be the most talented and has the most promise for a top classics rider.

Dangerous to predict. You never know when supertalents suddenly stop developing or when new names pop up that overclass those.

Right now, it would seem a certain case that EBH, Boom will be the next big thing in classics and for first 5 years also certainly Gilbert, Boonen, Cancellara, Cunego etcetera.
But you never know, I stopped predicting these things after I saw Wiggins climbing with the best in the Tour.

Cycling is simply not predictable. You can have a general idea about a rider and his career which usually pretty accurate, but then come the huge suprises, either doped or not dope, who **** up your predictions every time :D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ike2112 said:
No love for Sebastian Langeveld?

Could see both Feillu bros hanging around a few years at the top.

He has done some amazing things in the northern classics but most Dutch people just focus on Boom for the classics now. Shame, Langeveld (and Maaskant) could very well win a monument in the coming years.

Edvald Boasson Hagen.

The dude has the broadest overall skill-set of any (presently known) rider who will still be around come 2019. With a couple more years of seasoning and experience I don't think that there is a classic he couldn't potentially win.

Cav is an intriguing prospect. He's obviously got the best sprint of anyone out there right now, but his preference clearly goes out to sprinting in stage races. He could perhaps develop the qualities, like a Boonen or Hushovd, to compete in some of the Flanders' classics (something his Scheldeprijs victories clearly show he has the potential to do) but I imagine he'll prefer to stick with his Giro-Tour strategy for now, which would conflict with being in top-form come the first weeks of April.

That said, if he goes on to make Milan-Sanremo his personal b!tch for the next decade, picks up a flat-ish World Championship once or twice, and claims a few smaller classics (like Paris-Tours, Paris-Brussels or the Hamburg Classic) he'll definitely merit serious consideration 10 years from now,

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
While I'd certainly love that, I'll file that firmly into the "I believe it only when I see it" category.

Lefevre has hinted he's very interested in Langeveld. If Langeveld would eventually join Lefevre that would increase his chances of winning Vlaanderen or Roubaix enormously.
What he has showed so far in the few chances he had in those races was very impressive.

ak-zaaf said:
Lefevre has hinted he's very interested in Langeveld. If Langeveld would eventually join Lefevre that would increase his chances of winning Vlaanderen or Roubaix enormously.
What he has showed so far in the few chances he had in those races was very impressive.

Well, I can hardly disagree that going to Quick-Step would benefit Langeveld's results if he gets a captaincy/co-captaincy role, since they obviously has the know-how and support riders to dominate any race in Flanders.

I guess I might receive better evidence of his true potential next year, when he gets a shot at riding in some classics without being a pawn for Flecha, but I still have seen very little, other than maybe one good attack on the Bosberg, to show he has the skill set to actually beat someone like a Boonen, Devolder or Pozzato in a race like Flanders, Roubaix or Omloop Het Volk.

If Andy Schleck keeps focusing on the Ardennes classics as part of his lead up to the TdF he could end up with a fair few wins to his name over the next 10 or so years.

Valverde is another rider capable of doing well in the spring if he decides to race classics again (and his ban isn't extended).

Taylor Phinney, Cameron Meyer and Jack Bobridge are certainly prospects for the future. In 3 or 4 years they should be mixing it up with EBH, Swift, Boom etc.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:

Indeed, Langeveld's probleem seems to be making the move at the right moment (well, that's a general Rabobank problem). He'll learn that very quickly at Quickstep.
IMO he'll replace Devolder. I think Devolders contract ends in 2010. And like every year there will be rumours of Devolder following Dirk De Mol. That might be the right moment for Lefevere to sign Langeveld.