• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best Pacemaker?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
What's the optimum pacemaker for cyclists? I have to replace my old Medtronic pacemaker after 8 years and find they no longer make the dual function (acceleration and breathing rate) device since the 'general population' doesn't need them. I'm afraid that the single (acceleration) sensor won't work well when I'm climbing seated with my elbows locked. Does anyone have any experience?

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Hey Philip,

I was implanted about 7 weeks ago with a Medtronic Versa, supposedly the Versa and the Adapta are the better ones out there for athletes. I wish I could tell you that I have no problems with it but the truth is I'm experiencing all sorts things when I ride, I have to have patience with my doctor as we go through all the settings and try different things. Right now I have the Rate Response and Accelerometer turned on, I think this is actually causing me some problems, I think the Rate Response senses when I am riding and increase the heart rate more than what is necessary so my heart rate with very little effort is high. My upper sensing rate is set to 150 and when I get close to that rate (which is very easy with this Rate Response and Accelerometer) I start to experience some flutters, I don't know if it's atrial flutter/fib/tachy but it pretty much stops me in my tracks.

I have spoken to some runners/marathoners that have the Versa and the Adapta and they are very happy with it, a lot of them are excellent runners turning in sub 3 hour marathons.

I wish I could help more. BTW, what is the reason you have your PM and how has it affected your cycling?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Ran out of battery on the old Medtronic pacemker. The new Medtronics like yours only sense acceleration which makes them increase the sensitivity ofr cyclists which causes your problem. In eight years when your battery runs down they will probably have better multifunction sensors such as Boston Scientific and Biotronik do. Surf the web for background.

TRENDING THREADS