• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best road bike under 1000EUR

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hello Guys...
I recently picked up cycling mainly for fitness purpose.
I currently have Triban RC100 and would like to upgrade.
Can you please suggest some good models (based on personal experiences) within 1000 EUR.
I living in Belgium currently.

So why do you need to change from the RC100?

Are you looking to go faster?
Do you want something more comfortable for riding several hours?
Or is this a social pressure "that's not very high end" thing?

I believe the bike industry is largely built upn selling people far more than they really need, at a far higher price than they need to pay. Remember, if your goal is exercise, and your only race is against the time that the same ride took you last weekend, then the 'better' the bike you buy, the fewer watts you expend every kilometre, and probably every hour.

But if you want greater comfort (I have no idea how good the Triban is for that) check your clothing; if you want greater smoothness, check your bike cleaning regime.

If you have really decided that you have set 1000EUR aside for this, and you are starting from scratch, then don't forget that the bike is only part of your outlay: unless you are already equipped, keep money back for shoes, helmet, clothing, maintainance tools and other essentials, then check what you have left for a bike.

You do not need the same brands and levels of gear that people doing rides of several times the duration, and at much higher speed, than you aspire to. Don't get sucked in to the ostentatiousness of so much of cycling culture.

A fool enthusiast and his money are soon parted.

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
So why do you need to change from the RC100?

Are you looking to go faster?
Do you want something more comfortable for riding several hours?
Or is this a social pressure "that's not very high end" thing?

I believe the bike industry is largely built upn selling people far more than they really need, at a far higher price than they need to pay. Remember, if your goal is exercise, and your only race is against the time that the same ride took you last weekend, then the 'better' the bike you buy, the fewer watts you expend every kilometre, and probably every hour.

But if you want greater comfort (I have no idea how good the Triban is for that) check your clothing; if you want greater smoothness, check your bike cleaning regime.

If you have really decided that you have set 1000EUR aside for this, and you are starting from scratch, then don't forget that the bike is only part of your outlay: unless you are already equipped, keep money back for shoes, helmet, clothing, maintainance tools and other essentials, then check what you have left for a bike.

You do not need the same brands and levels of gear that people doing rides of several times the duration, and at much higher speed, than you aspire to. Don't get sucked in to the ostentatiousness of so much of cycling culture.

A fool enthusiast and his money are soon parted.
Hello
Thanx a ton for this clear and honest feedback.I have been using Triban for nearly an year now and I have no complaints regarding the performance of the bike.
The main reason to upgrade is that it has a gear lever on the handle bar and using it at times is tricky and risky .Also i need something with a disc brakes.
That's why I want to upgrade to a better bike which I will be using maybe forever. Based on the little research I did I know the next level bike is at least 600 EUR upwards (TRIBAN 520).Thats why I asked for feedback based on personal experience and not on reviews on many cycling portals. When I say anything upto 1000 doesn't mean that I will be buying something for that price only. If you old timers here recommend a bike for 200 which matches my expectations I would be happy to buy it.

Reactions: jmdirt
I have no real experience of any bikes other than my own, so I can't give any real direction.

Others will be better able to help if you give a few clues about your ambitions:
What distance/time duration would you expect to ride?
Are you sticking to the roads or going on trails?
How hilly is your area?
How far along the speed vs comform spectrum do you want to go?
Are you particularly tall/short/heavy/light?
Will you be willing to go out in all conditions, or will you be a fair-weather cyclist?

Otherwise, have a look at articles like https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/best-road-bike-under-1000/ or https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/best-budget-road-bikes/ (I'm sure Google will reveal others in your own language)

And, both in the search for higher spec and so that you can bypass the ongoing supply problems for bikes, consider second hand.

Enjoy your ride, whatever it may be.

I'd suggest you get Trek Domane alu 2 (I got 2 of them 11 months ago because they came with rim brakes +they were cheap at 650, alas not anymore-this is capitalism etc etc etc, back when I bought them-my 1st candidate, because I already own an older model, was more expensive at 900 euro), put some ultregra groupset (usually you strike gold deals during the end of year meaning 50-60% sale- same with Conti wheels - get grand prix 5000 or gatorskin if you have reptilian thumbs) a pair of sturdy wheels ( can't change my beloved shimano ones, tried the way more expensive and overhyped fulcrum and vision and I ended up using them to demonstrate angular momentum ,) and put the miles down. I use exactly the same setup on both of my road bikes I'm riding at the moment (obviously the 2nd trek is still in the box for the future) and I find it more comfortable, most probably due the shorter reach which is more tolerable towards my back, than my older bike. I'm riding 3-4 hours in the weekdays, something more in the weekends, when I'm not hitting the trails/XC/night rides/bikepacking . Yesterday I had to ride in a sudden torrential (in a lack of knowledge of better term) rain and it held really well (although I was more impressed with my new shimano shoes and the cheap rain jackets I recently bought from my beloved motorbike shop, as a rule of thumb don't buy overpriced crap from the "cycling" companies, get something way better and immensely cheaper from companies that are doing stuff for motorbikes).

Those handlebar shifters do seem a bit odd. You could of course just buy shimano 105 levers and derailleurs and fit those.
Why do you think you NEED disc brakes?

Yeah, can't stand ultegra's left shifter, had to change the latest one I bought (thank Gawd, it was under warranty and the replacement came really fast - after 3-4 days it was at my LBS) , I guess that's one of the compromises you have to make + I don't have any experience with the other big brands on road bikes. Usually the LBS I'm using now (and in the past) are/were shimanoholics.

TRENDING THREADS