• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best shop thread

Sep 13, 2009
Visit site
As a frequent traveller, I like to visit good bike shops whenever I can, however finding a good bikeshop in a city you are not familiar with is not always easy! Can you guys make some recommendations? My best experiences so far are:

Oslo- Sørensen sykler (Helsfyr) good allround selection
London- Condor bikes (Holborn) indie and slightly quirky, good clothing range
Bourg D'Oisans- Cycles et Sport rentals and massive clothes range

Yours/opinions?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
michaelmorland said:
As a frequent traveller, I like to visit good bike shops whenever I can, however finding a good bikeshop in a city you are not familiar with is not always easy! Can you guys make some recommendations? My best experiences so far are:

Yours/opinions?

i've always found the staff at condor to be condescending w*nkers

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
If anyone ever makes it to Vancouver BC, i nominate 2

La Bicicletta - hands down the best road and cross shop in town. knowledgeable staff, great selection, and a great expresso machine.

Super Champion - if you like your track bikes these guys are the kings. No fixie attitude, just genuine passion

In Montreal

Cycles Gervais Rioux - Home of Argon 18, these guys know their stuff! Great atmosphere and selection without a hint of snobbism or holier than thou BS.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Best US shop... YELLOW JERSEY Madison, Wisconsin. Open everyday since April Fools day 1971.

Andrew Muzi is an enigma/antihero amongst US bike shop owners, infinite knowledge of all things bikes, and a helluva nice guy.

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
i've always found the staff at condor to be condescending w*nkers

I've heard exactly the same thing. Best bike shop I've been to in London is Sigma Sport. They used to (maybe still do) have a really beautiful selection of bikes/wheels/etc and seemed to really know their stuff.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
michaelmorland said:

Yours/opinions?

Thanks, I will have to check them out...I have not found a shop here "to call home" yet.

In Huntsville, AL (if anyone ever gets down that way) I recommend Trailhead Inc. in little five points. Great staff, make you feel welcome, they can build a mean set of wheels. Not the most high-end selection, especially on road bikes but they can order, and their customer service if fantastic.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I only buy my bikes from two place:

Calmera- In madrid, mainly road bikes I actually bought my new orbea from there 3 weeks ago and they did a great fitting.

Pro Bike- Barcelona, they do sell road bikes but they're true speciality is mountain bikes. They're apparel and accessories are vastly superior to any bike shop in the US.

franciep10 said:
I only buy my bikes from two place:

Calmera- In madrid, mainly road bikes I actually bought my new orbea from there 3 weeks ago and they did a great fitting.

Pro Bike- Barcelona, they do sell road bikes but they're true speciality is mountain bikes. They're apparel and accessories are vastly superior to any bike shop in the US.

Really? To any bike shop in the US? Amazing.....

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, my post wasn't particularly constructive! I'm afraid that the Condor lot are a bit too up their own backsides and too cool for school hipsters for my liking. My personal recommendation based on limited exposure for 'London' shops without the attitude would be Sigma Sport

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/app/web/homepage.aspx

I'm not sure if you could count them as being London but they're certainly outer London and you can get there in 30 minutes by train from the West End. Nice guys, good service and good value for a bricks and mortar retailer plus you can test ride around one of London's oldest Royal Park's Richmond Park which is only 1km from the shop.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
my team shop gets my nod

http://cyclewerks.net/

Ditto.
I live about a mile from the San Clemente location. I've been dealing with Paul & crew for 30+ years (even before it was Cyclewerks) and have always found them to be friendly, knowledgeable, and accommodating. I've bought bikes, had service done, wheels built, and bought the odd part.

TRENDING THREADS