• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best stages/races broadcast in entirety

I'd like to know which races you think were the best ever shown on TV in entirety? I'm particularly looking for races/stages in which something extraordinary happened during the first part of the race - incindents we'd usually miss during a normal broadcast covering only the last two or three hours of the race.

I thought this year's Paris-Roubaix was pretty special: A lot was going on right from the start, and the eventual winner was one of the guys from the break. I think this was the first time PR was broadcast from the start?

The TdF stage in 2013 won by Dan Martin was also one of the greatest ever becuse of what happened during the early stages of the the race: Garmin attacked left and right; Sky disintegrnting; carnage everywhere! The stage was disappointing otherwise but the start made it memorable.

The availabilty of races/stages broadcast from the start is limited to WRR and TDF for me. And I frankly don't remember any WRR where anything hppened right from the start. But I remember a few riveting TdF stages (for good or bad reasons): Landis' stage win in Morzine 2006. Rasmussen's win in La Tusouirre the day before. Rasmussen/Contador/Leipheimer on Aubisque 2007. Andy on Galibier 2011. Contador attacking on Galibier 2011(the stage after Andy's stage win). And Contador on Galibier in 2007 in a full-range Discovery attack (including Popyvych and Gusev). I even rember Hamilton's win in 2003, which was also special, because the the first hour or so was at 50 km/h or faster with Hamilton dropped before Larrau (a really hard climb where even Sastre attacked in the beformentioned and notorious Aubisque-stage in 2007).

More?

La Spezia in 2015, I think stage 4, Giro d' Italia.
In the same Giro, the Mortirolo-stage. Really fast pace.
Pinot's win in the Juras was amazing, full stage, I think it was stage 8, 2012 TdF. Up and down.
So was the stage Nieve won in 2011, I can't remember the MTF, third day in a row in the mountains over Giau, Fedaia... probably one of the hardest stages in recent memory if not the hardest.

Schleck rampage to Galibier in 2011 I watched from start to finish.
Stelvio snow in 2014 was also start to finish. So much controversy over Nairo's win.
Gardeccia 2011, Nieve winning and Contador spanking the other pretenders... what a stage.

The Andorra stage in the vuelta last year. There was complete chaos on the first climb because of froomes crash and the stage only became a bit more conservative when the tv coverage usually would have started. The end of the stage was good too but my favorite part was the first pass.

el_angliru said:
The TdF stage in 2013 won by Dan Martin was also one of the greatest ever becuse of what happened during the early stages of the the race: Garmin attacked left and right; Sky disintegrnting; carnage everywhere! The stage was disappointing otherwise but the start made it memorable.

yes, that one was pretty epic...

Porte got dropped badly, Kiriyenka ended up OTL and Kennaugh ended up in a ditch