• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best thing since sliced bread?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

If no sliced bread, what could improve our safety?

• Indoor trainer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Indeed....

Sir, my own company, Upstart, is assisting iKubu in testing the market, by means of threads such as these, so not just to sell, but to gauge interest, and gain feedback. My real name is Carinus Lemmer.
My background is racing, at high levels, within our national context, during the last quarter of the previous century.

I rely on my ears, and so does my 13-year old son. He did so from a young age, which I only discovered after expressing my concern for him not 'checking' - the way my over-protective instinct wanted him to.

At present, the unit offers a range in excess of 100m, measuring relative speed, giving me time to react - again, like ears, and eyes, with a second or so to spare - I have used this device plenty, lately, and a small number of riders in our hometown of Stellenbosch are also trying it out.

Direction has not been addressed to the extent that it is 100% accurate, so, no, it only informs of the general approach of the vehicle.
It carries info on 3 vehicles per any timeframe, and treats pantechnicons and other big trucks as 3 vehicles.

No, it is not improving on one's ears - I'd say it is additional to my sensory capabilities - as a matter of fact, just like telescopes and windows, it lets us see what we normally can not.

Agreed with your point on licensing - we are not there yet, in our country, at all!

Noted, all of your comments, with pleasure - first bit of comment of depth, coming from this forum.

Carinus

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
latrinus said:
. . .

Noted, all of your comments, with pleasure - first bit of comment of depth, coming from this forum.

Carinus

Ok, then! Well, it does more than I thought - with a 100m range (slightly better than 300 feet for non-metrics).

While you are in a marketing research phase, so this might not be applicable, but I just ran across an article today - and you might want to contact the subject of the article. Either to be a guinea pig, or to opine on the potential of the idea.

http://sf.streetsblog.org/2014/06/1...-sf-bike-safety-instructor-bert-hill-got-hit/

Bert Hill. I don't have any other info on him - but he's known to the article author as an expert in the bike safe riding and cyclist training field.

On another topic - good on ya for riding with your 13 yr old! And I'm glad he rides!

Cheers;
H

hiero2 said:
Latrinus,

Neophyte riders, and some experience riders, also have rear view mirrors available, should they want them.

You may be trying to reinvent the wheel here, but it is an intriguing idea.

This. If you really want to know what's going on behind you but don't want to rely on your ears and simply turning around, get a mirror. I don't ride with one, instead relying on my ears and turning around before altering my line into the potential path of traffic. I can't imagine this pointless gadget providing any useful information beyond what is easily and cheaply determined without it.

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
winkybiker said:
This. If you really want to know what's going on behind you but don't want to rely on your ears and simply turning around, get a mirror. I don't ride with one, instead relying on my ears and turning around before altering my line into the potential path of traffic. I can't imagine this pointless gadget providing any useful information beyond what is easily and cheaply determined without it.
an informal video: http://vimeo.com/98358540

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
winkybiker said:
OK, but the thing remains beyond ridiculous. An idiotic idea.

I'm not so sure it is idiotic. I think it might have a place in the scheme of things. When in traffic, I may not be able to turn my head due to possible risk situations in front of me. It happens.

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
It is actually quite small

veganrob said:
I think it is pretty cool. Would definitely be of use where I have to ride. You should try to make it smaller though. It take up a lot of space on the handlebars or stem where the Garmin needs to go
Hi Vegan - the front unit weighs 50 grams. It's small. The one (statically recorded) video does not do it justice, as yet. Please see the formal product video next to a coffee cup, on a pair of bars, etc, on http://buy.backtracker.io to get a better idea of the size.

Carinus

latrinus said:
Hi Vegan - the front unit weighs 50 grams. It's small. The one (statically recorded) video does not do it justice, as yet. Please see the formal product video next to a coffee cup, on a pair of bars, etc, on http://www.dragoninnovation.com/projects/41-backtracker-by-ikubu to get a better idea of the size.

Carinus

Yes, not as big as I thought. I really like it. Question. How big of an object will this pick up? If a rider is behind me will it focus solely on that rider or will it favor the car 50 meters back of us?

May 30, 2011
Visit site
How about a device fitted to all motor vehicles that will not allow them to get within 1 metre of any bicycle. Maybe fit bikes with a corresponding device, kind of like two opposing magnets? ;)

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Good identification

veganrob said:
Yes, not as big as I thought. I really like it. Question. How big of an object will this pick up? If a rider is behind me will it focus solely on that rider or will it favor the car 50 meters back of us?
It picks up motor cars and trucks.
It sees a large truck as more than one vehicle, sees past the first vehicle, to the one's further behind. It ignores cyclists, and will look to 150m+ behind you.