• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Best Tour de France since 1999

May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Visit site
On the eve of the Tour presentation, and after many called the 2009 race a snooze fest (TBF they had a point), I was thinking what is the best Tour edition since 1999. For me I'm going with 2003, the first one I really watched, the mad crash on the first stage (170-odd riders went down, Armstrong struggling (crashed at speed at the Dauphine and really went out of his way to beat Mayo, which he did by winning the race), Vino and Mayo making a thousand attacks, Hamilton racing with a fractured collarbone, Beloki nightmare crash and Armstrong's great show of bike handling skills (not even Dr Ferrari can help that), Ullrich giving Armstrong a thrashing in the ITT and really looking like he could have beaten him.
 
i thought 2008 was really exciting just because everyone was basically on an equal playing field. with sastre, evans, the schlecks, menchov, vdv, a doped-up kohl, they were all about the same level which made for lots of attacking and excitement

but yeah 2003 was exciting mostly because lance wasn't dominating...when there is a rider like lance or alberto dominating and winning by five minutes the race won't be good IMO
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,644
2
0
Visit site
craig1985 said:
On the eve of the Tour presentation, and after many called the 2009 race a snooze fest (TBF they had a point), I was thinking what is the best Tour edition since 1999. For me I'm going with 2003, the first one I really watched, the mad crash on the first stage (170-odd riders went down, Armstrong struggling (crashed at speed at the Dauphine and really went out of his way to beat Mayo, which he did by winning the race), Vino and Mayo making a thousand attacks, Hamilton racing with a fractured collarbone, Beloki nightmare crash and Armstrong's great show of bike handling skills (not even Dr Ferrari can help that), Ullrich giving Armstrong a thrashing in the ITT and really looking like he could have beaten him.

2003 for sure.
 
Best Tour Since 1999

I agree. 2003 Had drama on all levels. Contador's absence made the 2008 Tour very interesting and even though Sastre did not win by much, his team did dominate and set it up for him. 2006 was probably the weirdest for the incredibly stupid tactics. I still think the team time trial ruined this year's race and hope they don't reinstate it in the future.
 
Aug 3, 2009
128
1
0
Visit site
Probably 2003, as that was the year Armstrong could be beaten, and Ullrich, Mayo and Vino were attacking whenever they could. I really liked the 2000 Tour though, because of the big duel between Pantani and Armstrong.
 
Apr 8, 2009
131
1
0
Visit site
hands down 2003.

best tour ever.

Jan vs Lance was at fever pitch and was one of the best sporting rivalries ever imo. Lance coulda been beaten and everyone was giving it to him. It was just such an epic tour. lucky i got the highlights on video.


edit* oh and 2007 is 2nd best. i love controversy and tht was packed with it and it had some great battles and moments.


I tipping that the next tour will be the best ever. so many good teams and so many good riders spread evenly.
 
Hard to argue with 2003 but ...

I really enjoyed the 2007 edition. The dullest Tours are the ones where, amongst the main GC hopefuls, the best climber is also the best time trialist - like this year with Contador. In 2007 the three who emerged as the best winning prospects (Rasmussen, Contador and Evans) balanced each other out really nicely:

Rasmussen (#1 climber, #3 time trialist)
Contador (#2 climber, #2 time trialist)
Evans (#3 climber, #1 time trialist)

Made for great racing I thought. Plus, I had a great time backing Robbie Hunter in Stage 11 at 18-1 and Vino in Stage 15 at 22-1.

Oh, happy days ...
 
2003 had it all for sure!

Right from the start there was David Millar missing out on the prologue win because of a mechanical, Petacchi's 4 stage wins and rivalry with Cooke right through to Ullrich's awesome ITT, that unfortunate crash from Beloki and everyone attacking anyone.

One hell of a Tour, but 07 wasn't far off.
 
I thought 2006 was great fun. As long as you let the world stop the moment the race is over in Paris, and don't don't think of the aftermath. ;)

Otherwise, 2003, yes. Jan's last real go, he was fit, and focused, and Lance tried to dominate but couldn't. Who knows what would have happened if Belocki hadn't have gone down...
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
Visit site
I never forgot Rasmussen dropping Contador. Probably my favourite stage of any Tour. The last 1.5km on stage 17 and Contador and Levi both couldn't match the Chickens kick to win. He put 36 odd seconds into AC! Rasmussen took the race to everyone that year, worse they let him and only fought back after his breakaway win earlier on. Shame he didn't win as he was the best that year. Great year, crap from my perspective as my two favourites to win both left for various reasons we all know about. Apart from Ricco and Sella taking it to AC in the hills of last years Giro, nobody has shown they can beat AC consistently like Rasmussen did.

If I could go back to 2003 I'd tell Jan to not wait round for the bag snatcher. Another great year of exciting racing. All the exciting years, the competition is close, adds drama. I'll watch the Giro for a real competition as I doubt anyone will match Contador when he flexes his climbing muscles next year.
 
Mar 13, 2009
2,890
0
0
Visit site
have to agree with the choices here. Loved 2003, 2006 had two spectacular days, 2007 Rasmussen took a gamble then watching his duel with AC was amazing. The amazing part was Rasmussen looked like a grinder next to AC.
 
Oct 8, 2009
79
0
0
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Two stages in 2006 actually, but yes.

What made 2007 so exciting was the fact that Rasmussen was the only guy who not only would actively attack Contador, but actually dropped him. Something I think a lot of people forget happened.

But wasn't it obvious that Rasmussen was on the forbidden fruit?
 
Oct 4, 2009
25
0
0
Visit site
That crash into Gap still makes me gasp everytime I think of it. Vino being
Crafty as always gained 20 secs if I'm not mistaken.

It really was unfortunate that Beloki basically had his career ended that day. He had been getting stronger and stronger in the tour each year.

Not the greatest TT guy but I think he could have dropped LA on climbs later in the tour or the next year. What a waste he was really looking strong and confident.
 
Oct 16, 2009
1
0
0
Visit site
Hello everybody!
I am a new member in this forum.I love it so much .
I aslo want to ask you one question.Please tell me your idea.It is so important to me :
How cam I make friend with a pretty girl ?
Thank a lot!
__________________
Financement simulation de credit immobilier de France, Courtier simulation de credit immobilier, Calcul pret et taux credit immobilier



Cracked Again said:
That crash into Gap still makes me gasp everytime I think of it. Vino being
Crafty as always gained 20 secs if I'm not mistaken.

It really was unfortunate that Beloki basically had his career ended that day. He had been getting stronger and stronger in the tour each year.

Not the greatest TT guy but I think he could have dropped LA on climbs later in the tour or the next year. What a waste he was really looking strong and confident.
 
Oct 4, 2009
25
0
0
Visit site
so many memorable images from that 2003 tour.

LA getting deyhdrated and having salt all over his mouth.

Iban Mayo dominating on Alpe d Huez.

Lance crashing when he got caught up in that bag and then Big Jan being a total gentlemen and waiting for him.

Jan crashing I think twice on the final TT in the rain. Wow they dont get any more epic then that
 
Jul 1, 2009
320
0
0
Visit site
vcvcbvn said:
Hello everybody!
I am a new member in this forum.I love it so much .
I aslo want to ask you one question.Please tell me your idea.It is so important to me :
How cam I make friend with a pretty girl ?
Thank a lot!

Welcome, great debut post :rolleyes:
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Visit site
karlboss said:
have to agree with the choices here. Loved 2003, 2006 had two spectacular days, 2007 Rasmussen took a gamble then watching his duel with AC was amazing. The amazing part was Rasmussen looked like a grinder next to AC.

Contador v Rasmussen - stage 15 - youtube.com

It's in Spanish, but you get the gist of it. The Spanish commentator's were basically blowing their load everytime Contador attacked and what I assume that they were shouting for him to keep on going. I could be wrong, just using my very basic Spanish.