• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best training schedule for TdF?

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Is the Giro a good lead-up to the Tour, or should riders focusing on the Tour pace themselves with shorter races leading up July? Are different programs better for different riders? Or are some riders forced into riding both the Giro and the Tour because their team doesn't have a lot of GC depth?

This doesn't have to go to the clinic, this is about a rider's racing/training program leading up to the Tour.

I guess it depends on what the rider has been doing and when they started their season. If they have had a relatively quiet season so far, such as Sastre, then the Giro is probably excellent base building. It seemed to work for Wigans and LA last year, that is why VdV and Wigans are taking that route this year.

On the other hand, if a rider has been racing a lot early in the season then a 3 week obliteration like the Giro would be the last thing they would want to do to prepare.

Just my thoughts.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Err, I think you mean form and fitness, the Clinic is something else entirely...

Personally, I can understand the guys (Like Sastre this year) who target train with no racing.
But for me there isn't any substitute for racing, the thing is you still need a program when you race, which may mean not going hard on various days, acting in support

Either way takes discipline, either to get out and make you solo stuff the right quality, or to not get caught up and trying to push in the final when you are supposed to be there for support only

Mar 15, 2009
www.frameforum.org
42x16ss said:
This doesn't have to go to the clinic, this is about a rider's racing/training program leading up to the Tour.

I guess it depends on what the rider has been doing and when they started their season. If they have had a relatively quiet season so far, such as Sastre, then the Giro is probably excellent base building. It seemed to work for Wigans and LA last year, that is why VdV and Wigans are taking that route this year.

On the other hand, if a rider has been racing a lot early in the season then a 3 week obliteration like the Giro would be the last thing they would want to do to prepare.

Just my thoughts.

'Wigans' ?

Up there with 'Eddie Merricks'.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
What have recent tour winners done?

I know Lance never rode the Giro in a tour winning year, and Contador didn't in his two tour wins. I don't know about Sastre or Oscar. Indurain rode both Giro and Tour from '92 to '94 (and rode the Vuelta in the same timeframe in '91 and '92). Not sure about Riis, Ulrich or Pantani in their winning years.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Indurain won GdI and TdF in 92-93
Pantani did it in 98
Rominger won the vuelta and did great in the tour in 93 (the vuelta was in the spring then).

Sastre and Menchov did good in the giro last year and horrible in the tour.

TRENDING THREADS