Best Uphill Sprinter From Those 4? (6-8%)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Best Uphill Sprinter From Those 4? (6-8%)

  • P.Sagan

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
  • Poll closed .
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
1
0
Even though I would not vote for him in this poll, on a gradient of 6-8%, Evans certainly should be considered on a poll like this.
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
El Pistolero said:
That's hardly the kind of sprint we're talking about in this topic. ;)

And I wouldn't be too sure of that. But knowing Valverde he'll probably be happy with a second or third place. As long as he doesn't have to stick his nose in the wind too much he'll be happy. It's amazing how much of a fanbase this guy has around here. And they're the same kind of fan that hate Leipheimer. :eek:
dont worry he wont take a single pull,he relys on sprint.
Yeah sure,he will be happy with podium when he already won it 2times:eek:.
And I hate Leipheimer cos he didnt want to be a domestique for Alberto in 07 n 08,stupid guy.

btw.for you Valverde is wheelsucker,for me it is best classic rider in tactics:D = its the same
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
3
0
ILovecycling said:
dont worry he wont take a single pull,he relys on sprint.
Yeah sure,he will be happy with podium when he already won it 2times:eek:.
And I hate Leipheimer cos he didnt want to be a domestique for Alberto in 07 n 08,stupid guy.

btw.for you Valverde is wheelsucker,for me it is best classic rider in tactics:D = its the same
Take a look at his 4 podiums of the WC.

Best classic rider in tactics? Yeah, no. He sucks wheel, sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.

Valverde has probably only been a domestique once or twice in his life. For Freire, who criticized Valverde after the WC this year lol.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
El Pistolero said:
A time trial on a 2km hill around 6-8%? Phil definitely. He already came 9th in this year's flat Tour prologue and he wasn't in his best shape.
Contador will crush Gilbert in any TT possible. A Hill will only make it more obvious.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Even though I would not vote for him in this poll, on a gradient of 6-8%, Evans certainly should be considered on a poll like this.
You're still going to bring it up :D

It's between those 4. I stated that explicitly. But anyways Evans has no chance against those guys in top shape. So what's the point of putting him up when he'll get 0 votes?

Oh wait, maybe 1 ;)
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
3
0
Miburo said:
Contador will crush Gilbert in any TT possible. A Hill will only make it more obvious.
A time trial on the Cauberg, Contador will always lose.

You wouldn't even need a time trial bike for such short hill time trials like Hitch is suggesting. Just one short explosive effort and we all know who's master in that.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
El Pistolero said:
A time trial on the Cauberg, Contador will always lose.

You wouldn't even need a time trial bike for such short hill time trials like Hitch is suggesting. Just one short explosive effort and we all know who's master in that.
Contador in top shape? I want to see it. So just a hill, right?

10 km flat therefore, then Contador wins it no question
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
3
0
Miburo said:
Contador in top shape? I want to see it. So just a hill, right?

10 km flat therefore, then Contador wins it no question
Most likely yeah, but we're just talking about hills. So starting at the foot and finishing at the top.
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
El Pistolero said:
Take a look at his 4 podiums of the WC.

Best classic rider in tactics? Yeah, no. He sucks wheel, sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.

Valverde has probably only been a domestique once or twice in his life. For Freire, who criticized Valverde after the WC this year lol.
Wc is not Liege,this course suits him.There is not medal or anything,only top step so I dont think he would be happy with podium
When did it fail?If we dont count 2012,it failed only in Fleche in previous years.Liege 2010 wasnt that case he didnt lose cos of wheelsucking.
Why he should be a domestique?he never didnt have a better rider in Caisse than himself,he was always a leader unlikely Leipheimer.And this season he was domestique for Costa in Suisse,without him Costa would be lost.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
3
0
ILovecycling said:
Wc is not Liege,this course suits him.There is not medal or anything,only top step so I dont think he would be happy with podium
When did it fail?If we dont count 2012,it failed only in Fleche in previous years.Liege 2010 wasnt that case he didnt lose cos of wheelsucking.
Why he should be a domestique?he never didnt have a better rider in Caisse than himself,he was always a leader unlikely Leipheimer.And this season he was domestique for Costa in Suisse,without him Costa would be lost.
Rodriguez was a domestique for Valverde. Look how good he is now...

Uhm, Valverde has lost many races because he was afraid to go for it... If Evans, Valverde and Gilbert all had worked together they could've caught Vino and Kolobnev.

The WC is the perfect race for Valverde. Hilly, but not too hard, so often ends in a sprint. It's amazing how he hasn't won it yet.
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
El Pistolero said:
Rodriguez was a domestique for Valverde. Look how good he is now...

Uhm, Valverde has lost many races because he was afraid to go for it... If Evans, Valverde and Gilbert all had worked together they could've caught Vino and Kolobnev.

The WC is the perfect race for Valverde. Hilly, but not too hard, so often ends in a sprint. It's amazing how he hasn't won it yet.
Rodriguez IS a great rider,but when he was in Caisse he wasnt as good as Valverde cos of this he was a superdom.
Really how do you know it?How did you calculate it?Kolobnev and Vino were in super fitness so its not clear.I remember that Evans and Phil rode hard and wasnt enough.
Wc is perfect race?you cant say this in general...but always there was someone better Boonen,Freire,Evans etc. Now the chances from sprint are gone because Sagan is here:(
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
El Pistolero said:
He was still 24 when he became world champ. ;)

Sagan will be 23 very soon. And yeah like I said, let's wait a little before we call him the best for the next 10 years because we all know what happened to VDB. Sadly. So you kinda agree if you forget my analogy. ;)
yeah a massive one month away from his 25th birthday :rolleyes: and sagan is now almost 23, yes but earlier in the year he wasn't my god you really do your best a ant f*cking (mierenneuken) right?
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
Parrulo said:
wasn't kreuziger supposed to be the next god back in 08 when he won the TdS only a month after turning 22?

to he honest with this eastern europeans guys i like to take it carefully :eek:
only to those who were blind. it was very clear he was at early physical peak. sagan it doesn't matter. he's so good even if he didn't grow anymore he'd be the best in the world.
 
All depends on length.

If it is only a short ramp of 6-8% then it's always Gilbert. But if it's a whole 1-2km then Rodriguez is more able to challenge. Who knows about Sagan given his epic Chieti ride which showed strong resistance (plus his win in Seraing) then you have actual uphill sprint of Bolougne-sur-Mer. Most notably though the other two were not present in top on those days.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
3
0
Ferminal said:
All depends on length.

If it is only a short ramp of 6-8% then it's always Gilbert. But if it's a whole 1-2km then Rodriguez is more able to challenge. Who knows about Sagan given his epic Chieti ride which showed strong resistance (plus his win in Seraing) then you have actual uphill sprint of Bolougne-sur-Mer. Most notably though the other two were not present in top on those days.
How short do you think the Cauberg is?
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
3
0
Ferminal said:
Yeh, so a whole 70m vertical. Think Purito would need 100+
Still lost to Phil at Mur de Huy, 1.3km with an average of 10%.

Even in his bad shape this spring he was third at FW.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
El Pistolero said:
Still lost to Phil at Mur de Huy, 1.3km with an average of 10%.

Even in his bad shape this spring he was third at FW.
What about FW '10 ? also bad shape? ;)
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
Miburo said:
What about FW '10 ? also bad shape? ;)
Gilbert improves season after season, he's the master of super compensation(recovery after training/races/season as a whole) so he was a better rider in 2011 than he was in 2010.

In 2012 his FTP in tests was higher than ever, but because he had to start too late with his preparation(due to tiredness from 2011), he had bad form and endurance. In FW endurance is less important than in LBL or AGR, that's why he still rode so well. The distance of the other 2 hurt him much more than FW's 200kms.

If Gilbert is in top shape next year in the Ardennes, he will beat his Cauberg an Mur de Huy climbing times once again, like he did on the Worlds. Only if his off season recovery starts getting worse, he'll be past his best. But until then he's unstoppable on hills when on form.
 
Pentacycle said:
Gilbert improves season after season, he's the master of super compensation(recovery after training/races/season as a whole) so he was a better rider in 2011 than he was in 2010.

In 2012 his FTP in tests was higher than ever, but because he had to start too late with his preparation(due to tiredness from 2011), he had bad form and endurance. In FW endurance is less important than in LBL or AGR, that's why he still rode so well. The distance of the other 2 hurt him much more than FW's 200kms.

If Gilbert is in top shape next year in the Ardennes, he will beat his Cauberg an Mur de Huy climbing times once again, like he did on the Worlds. Only if his off season recovery starts getting worse, he'll be past his best. But until then he's unstoppable on hills when on form.

Where did you find his WC 2012 Cauberg time?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SHAD0W93 Professional Road Racing 42

ASK THE COMMUNITY