• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

best / worst moments of the 2009 TDF

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
I think a lot of people let the LA/AC debacle and their emotions about LA overshadow a lot of GREAT moments.

To name a few of the bigger ones:
Cancellara's remarkable ride in the Monaco TT.

Brice Feillu, what a performance at Arcalis! He was in trouble earlier in the climb but came back with some kind of second wind.

Hushovd proving that the Green jersey is more than just a battle at the finish line. Didn't Sean Kelly fight for Green using the intermediate sprints to his advantage?

Tony Martin riding until he turned into a pale zombie on Ventoux. For a couple of the sprints, he was part of the lead out delivering the train to 1k-to-go while wearing the white jersey.

Schleck Bros. takin' the race to Contador on the stage to Grand Bornand.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Although I was pulling for David Millar to hold on in the stage to Barcelona, I thought the sprint win by Hushovd was pretty cool.

I have cav fatigue.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Tour fun

Contadoris what a woosh.
Thor what a moose.
Sancheesy what a actor
Wiggo will he ever be a factor?
Cadel he doesn't ring my bell
Lance, Alberto says go to h*ll
Kolden used, abused but always handy
Skinny Frank and Andy go and eat some candy
Sastre never was a factor
Menchov, safer on a tractor
Boonen took an early shower
Which left Cav to show his power
Roche deserved a win
Pellizoti throw those polka dot shorts in yer bin:p

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Worst,,,,,, watching the teams use TT bikes for the TTT.

Best ....Sitting back and watching the muppets falls likes flies... bike handling skills none, woooobly wheelers standard

Sorry guys but "caution required" 1 in 10 fall off safer on your tractor.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Franco Pellizotti on Ventoux and then Champs both days at the front working it when he already had the Polka Dots wrapped up.

Worst was Voigt crashing out after sitting in on the break and coming back for Schleck

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
BEST Moments:
- Alberto smokin' LA
- LA missing the Yellow Jersey by 22/100 sec !!!
- Nocentini's continued stay in Yellow ( which baffled the versus commentators)
- LA suckin wheels throughout the TdF
- Alberto grabbin Yellow for the 1st time.
- Alberto #1 in Paris

WORST Moments:
- LA showing up in Monaco
- LA stealing the water bottle
- LA stealing 41 sec on Alberto ( teammate)
- LA in 3rd in Paris ( should've been 7,8 or 9th at best...)
- LA' s sulking on the podium after receiving the 3rd place trophy...WHAT a baby !!!
- LA stealing Alberto's ride TWICE during the TdF.....What a child !!!
- LA being there at the TdF.....It took away from objective coverage of the sport and the many great riders who aren't out to "save the world".

A

Anonymous

Best: brads smiles on the champs elysees
worst: jens crash

although i do wish AC's friggin gun would backfire and shoot him in the head..

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Best:
The Jersey battles - Pellizoti vs Martinez / Thor vs Cav
Voeckler stage win
Astarloza stage win (now turned bad, but the moment was great)
Verbier climb / all big climbs!
Barcelona finish

Worst:
Jens crash
Astana's in figting got tiresome
Cadel Evans in horrific form
Bbox TTT and Menchov going around corners all tour were frightening to watch!

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Most of the bad points seemed to revolve around Team Astana and certain egos.

Of the good points, one no one has mentioned yet, was as the Autobus came in at the top of Ventoux, and after a week of a war of words in the press, Cav and Thor, had their own private sprint whilst sharing a laugh and a joke.

Bitter rivals had remembered what sportsmanship is about.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
BEST
Schlecks vs Contador in the mountains
Finally a good fight for the other jerseys
Astana infighting (I just found it entertaining...)
Not a single positive test during the tour
Hausslers stage win

WORST
Contador and his stupid gun AND what is with the hat?
Brad Wiggins impressing everyone
Hincapie just missing yellow and his face when he realised it :(
and of course Jens crashing

Oh, and Kenny van Hummel making the lanterne rouge almost cool. That was just neat.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Favourite moments (check spelling!)

My two favourite events involved the same two teams, Garmin and Columbia. The crosswind battle was so darned cool and a great example of strategic cycling. That George had just received instructions from the DS made it even neater. But when Big George gave his account, he made the whole episode seem nearly accidental. Still...Oh, Lance's move to hand with the front group made the whole thing even better.

The second event was Garmin's attempt late in the race to disrupt Columbia's leadout of their sprinter. Just as Garmin's takeover attempt appeared like it might work, the Columbia soldiers staged a brilliant, daring, and dangerous counter attack to recapture the sharp end of the peloton. Had Garmin tried that tactic ten stages earlier instead of trying to outdrag Cav, the sprint circus may have been more interesting, rather than just amazing.

Hammerhed said:
The second event was Garmin's attempt late in the race to disrupt Columbia's leadout of their sprinter. Just as Garmin's takeover attempt appeared like it might work, the Columbia soldiers staged a brilliant, daring, and dangerous counter attack to recapture the sharp end of the peloton. Had Garmin tried that tactic ten stages earlier instead of trying to outdrag Cav, the sprint circus may have been more interesting, rather than just amazing.

damn right..

when Hincape pulled out of the Garmin train and leathered it leaving Garmin in the dust...

then the speed that Renshaw took that last corner..

it was just complete domination, a beautiful thing to see

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Best (tied): Thor's mountain antics and Astroloza's stage win (although also enjoyed Voekler, Filieu and Haussler's wins, and Contador-Andy Schleck duel)

Worst (tied): Astana public infighting, TdF course, TTT effect on the overall, Jens's crash, and Kenny van Hummel crashing out of the TdF.

How ya feelin about Astarloza's win now? ;)

Best moments:

Cancellara ripping the prologue/first stage

Hincapie ripping Garmin in the lead out to the final sprint

Lance riding for his teammate like he said he would

Wiggins rising to top of sport AND yellin THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT as he crested several big Pyrenean climbs--freekin everyone out who didnt think he would be there!!!

Worst moments:

Jens crash

Levi broken wrist=different podium and different race

Contador going rogue, off script, and violating team orders
No wait I take all of the back,

Just his dam hat. And his pistol salute. Only tools invent their own moniker, like Il Pirata. Give it a rest kid.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Best:

Columbia knocking the doo-doo out of all other teams trying to get in on the sprint action.
AG2R working to keep their guy in yellow.
French stages wins...doesn't happen often, but nice to see.

Worst:

Everything after the TTT.
Andy Schleck waiting for his brother.
Mont Ventoux...what an anti-climax!!

TRENDING THREADS