• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best young rider in Giro D'Italia 2013?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which rider will win the "Maglia Bianca"?

• Other - please specify

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
So you want me to believe that he does not care about the white jersey?

You know that riders can lie too.

I'm not asking you to believe anything, I'm simply conveying the riders own message which has been consistant from the start. Calling him a liar is rather a cowardly way out of a corner don't you think?

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Le Baroudeur said:
Team DS said he had an off/bad day today...

Dazed and Confused said:
He didn't look particularly good today. Managed to hang on.

The MTT will tell the full story.

If you take a look at the Cyclingnews.com presentation of the final ITT in the Giro the say that the climb is not steep enough to give the real climbers an advance.

It is only 5.2% average and CN thinks aerodynamics beat ultralow body mass.

Then we are back to the first ITT in the Giro. Rafal Majka beat Betancour with almost 2 minutes. If he can keep up the TT pace compared to Betancour he will take 40 seconds this time and secure the white jersey.

Thos of course only if they can stay together on the remaining stages and Betancour don't get any more bonus seconds, that is the only reason he is wearing that jersey. 44 seconds to hill

Coolair2970 said:
If you take a look at the Cyclingnews.com presentation of the final ITT in the Giro the say that the climb is not steep enough to give the real climbers an advance.

Then we are back to the first ITT in the Giro. Rafal Majka beat Betancour with almost 2 minutes. If he can keep up the TT pace compared to Betancour he will take 40 seconds this time and secure the white jersey.

Thos of course only if they can stay together on the remaining stages and Betancour don't get any more bonus seconds, that is the only reason he is wearing that jersey. 44 seconds to hill

The MTT looks tough. Recall profile:

thumb_uc_197049_506_Hoehenprofil_Giro_dItalia_2013_-_Etappe_18.jpg

Last 3km:

thumb_uc_197070_506_Hoehenprofil_Giro_dItalia_2013_-_Etappe_18_letzte_3_km.jpg

I think it will test, TT climbing and endurance skills pretty well. Perhaps Majka can pace himself better, but Betancur has a really power uphill sprint he can use in the last 1-3 kms.

Looking forward to it.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
betancurt has a way better pace than majka as well. show me any mountain finish where majka beat the opponents by minutes. because I can for betancurt

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Coolair2970 said:

WHAHAHAHAH I'm laughing my *** of at anything in this post.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Said specifically he's going for GC not the white jersey.

Saxo need WT points as Contador points dont count. He's not going try to risk the GC just to win the white.

He will attack though that is in stages to come that is, but battle for white is not his biggest priority right now.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
WHAHAHAHAH I'm laughing my *** of at anything in this post.

Well the fact is that Majka beat Betancour with 1.50 min in the first ITT in this giro.

That tells me Betancour isn't as good on a time trial bike as Majka. It might be different this time, but I was just stating the facts from the first ITT.

But lets see who's laughing after the ITT

Coolair2970 said:
Well the fact is that Majka beat Betancour with 1.50 min in the first ITT in this giro.

That tells me Betancour isn't as good on a time trial bike as Majka. It might be different this time, but I was just stating the facts from the first ITT.

But lets see who's laughing after the ITT

There is a big diference between an 50km "flat" itt and a 20km MTT

betancur needs to improve his tt (flat) skills. i still think that he will outkick makja in the white jersey....it'll be interesting since both of them are so high up in the classifications....like others hunting the podium will mark them...so it might come down to time bonifications and who is the better sprinter.

Befire the last parade it seems to end like the majority of the forum predicted:

1 Carlos Alberto Betancur Gomez (Col) Ag2R La Mondiale 79:30:47
2 Rafal Majka (Pol) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:00:41
3 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Blanco Pro Cycling Team 0:12:06
4 Darwin Atapuma Hurtado (Col) Colombia 0:19:50
5 Diego Rosa (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:32:55
6 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 1:15:08
7 Fabio Felline (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 1:23:31
8 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) Colombia 1:26:31
9 Thomas Damuseau (Fra) Team Argos-Shimano 1:34:42
10 Francesco Manuel Bongiorno (Ita) Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox 2:03:33

For quite some time it's been a two-man race for the white jersey, and with a welldeserving winner. Aru showed his potential yesterday and might compete for the jersey next year. Diego Rosa was a big surprise to me, great race by him as well.