• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Best young rider in Giro D'Italia 2013?

Which rider will win the "Maglia Bianca"?

• Other - please specify

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here two weeks in advance we all know what an epic battle it'll be for Maglia Rosa, with a lot of contenders seemingly more than ready to take up the challenge.

But who will shine among the youngsters in the race?

I find this part just as interesting, as it often shows which riders we can expect great things from in the following years.

Former "Maglia Bianca" winners are Andy Schleck, Richie Porte and last year Rigoberto Uran, but who will win the jersey this year?

Will it be the ever-so-hyped Colombian Atapuma? The almost as hyped Wilco Kelderman?
Might Betancur be able to maintain his current high level and be a factor?
Could one of the neo-pro's (Aru, Cattaneo & Wellens namely) take the honour as Porte did in 2010?
What about Locatelli or Preidler, would that surprise you? Or might the youngest Herrada brother make Cobo work for him?
Can former favorite Rafal Majka reach the level we have all seen before?

A lot of questions - what do YOU think? :D Did I forget someone?

My pick is Wilco Kelderman. He is the one that imo has shown the most resistance and best capability to recover day-to-day. He also possess decent time trial skills and hopefully will have a free role.

Atapuma might be the only team captain amongst the above mentioned riders, but at least Wellens, Locatelli, Majka and Betancur should have free roles to ride their own race.

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm going with Carlos Betancur for this one, he was really impressive in the Ardennes, and something tells me he still isn't at his very best. As an underdog there, he can perform well. All his career he had great results in Italy (Girobio, Emilia, Lombardia, Melinda, Padania, Trentino). The Giro is next on the list.

I agree that Betancur currently looks like the most impressive candidate. But when people doubt Nibali can keep a top level from Trentino to the third week of the Giro, I'd think Betancur would have even more trouble doing so.

And I think (and hope) the level Betancur just showed in the Ardennes this week is his current top level. If not, we're certainly in for a treat (and a potential top5 finish) this May.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Betancur easily, plus he will win a couple stages. He's also going to have a free role on his team unlike guys like Aru, Kelderman, etc. so that will be a big benefit for him.

Isn't he even aiming for the best young rider jersey? I remember reading that somewhere?

Afrank said:
Betancur easily, plus he will win a couple stages. He's also going to have a free role on his team unlike guys like Aru, Kelderman, etc. so that will be a big benefit for him.

Isn't he even aiming for the best young rider jersey? I remember reading that somewhere?

He is. I think eshnar posted an interview in the giro thread.
I voted locatelli even if there's basically no chance he'll win it. But he could surprise a few people.

Both Kelderman and Betancur has stated in January (interviews on ****iociclismo) that they wanted to aim for the white jersey. That's all I have found regarding riders with the Maglia Bianca as predetermined goal.

I think Atapuma and Chaves would much rather have a stage win than a white jersey through steady riding. That shouldn't be an issue for Kelderman, where Betancur has stated he wants a stage as well.

Sometimes stage hunting hurts a riders chance to win the jersey.

Aru will definitely be tied on hands and legs for Nibali, so Locatelli is my best option for third in the Maglia Bianca race after WK and "Better-than-Kurt".....

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Kazistuta said:
Both Kelderman and Betancur has stated in January (interviews on ****iociclismo) that they wanted to aim for the white jersey. That's all I have found regarding riders with the Maglia Bianca as predetermined goal.

I think Atapuma and Chaves would much rather have a stage win than a white jersey through steady riding. That shouldn't be an issue for Kelderman, where Betancur has stated he wants a stage as well.

Aru will definitely be tied on hands and legs for Nibali, so Locatelli is my best option for third in the Maglia Bianca race after WK and "Better-than-Kurt".....

It can also be a benefit sometimes, like if he's already riding with the leaders to maintain his current placing and sprints in to take the stage (and bonus seconds). Or if he managed to break away for the stage win, he can put time on his competitors in the best young rider competition.

Kelderman I would say has the best shot after Betancur. He won't have to be last man for Gesink in the mountains and do everything he can to keep him in contention. And he's got a good TT. But it is his first GT as well, and not every young talent performs right away in their first GT.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Kazistuta said:
I agree that Betancur currently looks like the most impressive candidate. But when people doubt Nibali can keep a top level from Trentino to the third week of the Giro, I'd think Betancur would have even more trouble doing so.

And I think (and hope) the level Betancur just showed in the Ardennes this week is his current top level. If not, we're certainly in for a treat (and a potential top5 finish) this May.

it's definitely not betancurts top level. he said so himself, he said he would actually hold back during ardennes to save himself for giro. he did nothing in agr, only did a "like a training" sprint of the mur and an attack on saint nicolas. he has incredible engine and should be getting in topshape next. beatcnurt can really peak like no other

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Kazistuta said:

chaves isn't riding the giro

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Betancur is the best climber of them all, and he is a team leader, so he's the obvious pick. Kelderman has a decent TT, but that won't decide the race. He's not much of a climber, so far.

not much of an itt rider either except that one day in dauphinee.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Voted for Carlos.Kelderman and esp. Aru are pretty good candidates but they won't have so much freedom.
And ofc Betancur's attack are really impressive,almost like Nairo:D

Ryo Hazuki said:
chaves isn't riding the giro

Both Cyclingfever and Procyclingstats has got him in their start lists?

And since Chaves himself was present when they presented the route, I guess it's pretty obvious he was intended to go.

CortiPresentazioneSito-300x138.jpg

Have something happened that I'm not aware of?