• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bib or Baggy; Hydropack or Bottle; pump or co2?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Not sure about other parts of the country but the latest trend here is socal is full road kit with co2, tube and lever in jersey or seat tube strapped, bottle frame or in Jersey.

Observation says it started with the 'buy in' team No-Air Rock n Road riders.

Personally I bottle cage one bottle and jersey the tube and pump because the pack is cumbersome and hot. Long rides its a hydro pack. frame pump is not cool on a long travel bike ;)

But its baggy all the way on the mountain bike. but i;m not XC Race Joe. long travel with no lock out so it a bob session on the climbs.

Although set up is tubeless so risk is low but I just dont trust the 1 co2. especially on late rides.

what do you carry and how?

I just dont get the whole bottle in the jersey thing.

Baggy shorts, fairly fitter jersey (not road tight though). Three tubes, pump, multi-tool, powerlinks, patches and tire-levers in my backpack along with 1 litre bladder, flapjacks and two bananas, a light rain jacket, sunscreen and sun glasses.

Never about the speed for me, it's about a long comfortable day in the saddle and I want enough to make that happen. Should really get a bigger bladder, lasts for most trail centre loops though then fill up in the car park and out again.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Remember this old thread Boeing?

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=402962&postcount=41

Boeing said:
Not sure about other parts of the country but the latest trend here is socal is full road kit with co2, tube and lever in jersey or seat tube strapped, bottle frame or in Jersey.

Observation says it started with the 'buy in' team No-Air Rock n Road riders.

Personally I bottle cage one bottle and jersey the tube and pump because the pack is cumbersome and hot. Long rides its a hydro pack. frame pump is not cool on a long travel bike ;)

But its baggy all the way on the mountain bike. but i;m not XC Race Joe. long travel with no lock out so it a bob session on the climbs.

Although set up is tubeless so risk is low but I just dont trust the 1 co2. especially on late rides.

what do you carry and how?

I just dont get the whole bottle in the jersey thing.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Bottles on a mountain bike, are you riding tow paths?!?! ;)

I use water bottles exclusively. I have lost 2 of them in about 20 years (one was returned to me by a guy who was behind me and picked it up, thankfully). I just don't like camelbacks on my back when riding, but they do make a lot of sense and I acknowledge this..

I don't know what a "tow path" is, but I ride single-track & jeep roads in Colorado and Utah mainly, some of which is very bumpy. You have to time when you take a drink much more than if you have a camelback, but it still is my preference.

The camelback is also good at carrying stuff so it seems to make sense for most people.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Camel bak (Rogue) with 2L bladder, not always full, but water only.

For long rides I'll bring a water bottle of electrolyte drink and some sort of energy bar(s).

In the pack is an extra tube, pump, multi tool, patch kit, and a master link in case of a broken chain.

I've gone back and forth with this set-up and seat bags and find that I would end up with a camel bak for a long ride anyway, so no point in the seat bag.

I dress like a roadie (bibs and jersey), and pass the shuttle run guys in cockroach suits.

Deagol said:
I use water bottles exclusively. I have lost 2 of them in about 20 years (one was returned to me by a guy who was behind me and picked it up, thankfully). I just don't like camelbacks on my back when riding, but they do make a lot of sense and I acknowledge this..

I don't know what a "tow path" is, but I ride single-track & jeep roads in Colorado and Utah mainly, some of which is very bumpy. You have to time when you take a drink much more than if you have a camelback, but it still is my preference.

The camelback is also good at carrying stuff so it seems to make sense for most people.

Towpaths are the paths beside a canal. Always flat, usually fairly well surfaced and not rocky.

I carry a lot of stuff with me in my backpack. I have 3 tubes, tire levers and glue-less patches, multi-tool and some extra Allen keys, leatherman squirt (has straightened a mech hanger, very useful)lightweight waterproof jacket, mini-pump, power-links, usually two bananas and some flapjacks, phone, wallet, keys and then 1L of water (I need a bigger bladder, currently just using a cheap one until it fails).

My aim is to be able to fix most things trail-side, I've even considered taking spare cables but I think it'd be a waste of money as I'd want to replace them properly when I got home. I need another mech hanger and I'd honestly take a spare rear mech if I had one. The weight is fine, I'm not going out to race or beat personal bests, I'm more interested in making sure something that could be a few minutes fix doesn't spoil my day.

I can, however, completely understand that many people don't want to do this.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Towpaths are the paths beside a canal. Always flat, usually fairly well surfaced and not rocky....

Thanks, I actually looked up "towpath" after that post. I've never seen one around here, which as one would expect.

I am a gambler when it comes to MTB-ing, which probably isn't a good idea. I don't take all the repair tools that most people take with them since I have no good way to carry it. A seat-bag can carry a few things, but not too much. I do have a rain jacket I can put in a jersey pocket if rain is likely. Someday it is possible I will really wish I had certain tools out on the trail and I won't have them. I guess I've been pretty lucky, so far, though.

Deagol said:
Thanks, I actually looked up "towpath" after that post. I've never seen one around here, which as one would expect.

I am a gambler when it comes to MTB-ing, which probably isn't a good idea. I don't take all the repair tools that most people take with them since I have no good way to carry it. A seat-bag can carry a few things, but not too much. I do have a rain jacket I can put in a jersey pocket if rain is likely. Someday it is possible I will really wish I had certain tools out on the trail and I won't have them. I guess I've been pretty lucky, so far, though.

I've never used any of the tools I take with me except the pump, not even had a flat to change. I'll still carry them though as the one time I need them will be the time I don't have them.

a 15L rucksack is plenty room for everything unless you have a bladder larger than 1L. Small on the back and not very heavy, even get my food in there with plenty of room to spare.

TRENDING THREADS