• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bigger Achievement: Rio or Doha?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Bigger achievement?

• Olympic Road Race in Rio

Votes: 83 88.3%
  • World RR Championships in Doha

Votes: 11 11.7%

• Total voters
Olympics by a country mile.

The reason the Olympics RR doesn't have the history and nostalgia is because of the amateurism of the Olympics RR until 1992.

With the participation of proffesionals it's gained a lot of acceptance, prestige has risen a lot and many athlete highly cherish the Olympic Gold.
Some riders build their season around it.

In any other olympic sport, Olympic Gold> Worlds Gold. It is the same for cycling.

Re:

the asian said:

The reason the Olympics RR doesn't have the history and nostalgia is because of the amateurism of the Olympics RR until 1992.

With the participation of proffesionals it's gained a lot of acceptance, prestige has risen a lot and many athlete highly cherish the Olympic Gold.

In any other olympic sport, Olympic Gold> Worlds Gold. It is the same for cycling.
What about football, boxing and rugby? World championship is much bigger for all of them. I think cycling is the same. The WC in cycling have so much history and prestige, and are such a big international event - that the Olympics is kind of a modern sideshow by comparison. A bit like Strade Bianche compared with Paris Roubaix. Sure, it's exciting and valuable and prestigious to win, but it's not quite the real deal - at least not yet.

Obviously the abomination that is this year's WC course devalues it slightly, but that is the exception not the usual situation.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
the asian said:

What about football, boxing and rugby? World championship is much bigger for all of them. I think cycling is the same. The WC in cycling have so much history and prestige, and are such a big international event - that the Olympics is kind of a modern sideshow by comparison. A bit like Strade Bianche compared with Paris Roubaix. Sure, it's exciting and valuable and prestigious to win, but it's not quite the real deal - at least not yet.

Obviously the abomination that is this year's WC course devalues it slightly, but that is the exception not the usual situation.

This is what I wrote above, and I think it's absolutely right. One tiny point though; the rugby in this year's Olympics is rugby sevens, which is not really a mainstream sport yet and for which I'd say the Olympics is more prestigious than the World Cup. Another good example is golf; witness how many major players are backing out of Rio altogether.

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

King Boonen said:
Bardamu said:
King Boonen said:
WC, it's not even close.
Care to elaborate?

Yes. Cycling. It's the WC.

Go ask a tennis player if they want a gold medal or to win Wimbledon. It's basically the same.

If it's a fringe sport (cycling, volleyball, archery, swimming etc), then it's about the Olympics, as this is generally where they get the majority of the exposure and viewership.

Cycling fares better than the above aforementioned sports, but nothing on the franchises such as tennis, golf (see how many top players can't be bothered to turn up for it's debut), basketball and football.

I don't think the two are really comparable.

Yeah. In tennis it seems that those who've won a bunch of slams already consider it really important, whilst those who don't think they have a real chance tend to not value it that much. It doesn't help that they don't give out points award ranking points for it anymore (used to be 750). Nadal winning on HC in 2008 and Murray winning at Wimbledon were huge, especially the last one. Seems that since more players have completed the career GS, they look to other tournaments to differentiate palmares a bit. Otoh, you have players giving *** reasons (I rather play a tournament that gives points) whilst playing other tournaments where they can't gain points.

But really I don't think cycling in any way close to tennis in this case. All other disciplins always had the Olympics as the major event, except for cyclocross. If you're riding on track, why not on the road as well?

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

trucido said:
King Boonen said:
Bardamu said:
King Boonen said:
WC, it's not even close.
Care to elaborate?

Go ask a tennis player if they want a gold medal or to win Wimbledon. It's basically the same.

If it's a fringe sport (cycling, volleyball, archery, swimming etc), then it's about the Olympics, as this is generally where they get the majority of the exposure and viewership.

Cycling fares better than the above aforementioned sports, but nothing on the franchises such as tennis, golf (see how many top players can't be bothered to turn up for it's debut), basketball and football.

I'd bet you anything you like that the vast majority of road cycling's exposure and viewership comes from the Tour. It's one of the biggest sporting events in the world. It blows the OGRR out the water.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Cannibal72 said:
trucido said:
King Boonen said:
Bardamu said:
King Boonen said:
WC, it's not even close.
Care to elaborate?

I'd bet you anything you like that the vast majority of road cycling's exposure and viewership comes from the Tour. It's one of the biggest sporting events in the world. It blows the OGRR out the water.
A lot of people watch cycling at the Olympics that would otherwise never watch it, just like we all watch sports we'd never otherwise watch when it's Olympics time.

But I agree that the Tour de France is huge, by far the biggest race in cycling. Everything else pales in comparison.

trucido said:
King Boonen said:
Bardamu said:
King Boonen said:
WC, it's not even close.
Care to elaborate?

How are tennis, golf and football (I assume you mean football as in soccer?) franchises? They are not. I don't know about basketball in Europe, in the US it is a franchise sport.

Personally I think it's very clear the WC is much more important than the Olympics. To be considered one of the greats you need that WC win, not the Olympics. When discussing riders careers the Olympics is hardly ever mentioned unless they happen to have a track background, it's just not an important race on the road, mainly because they've only allowed professionals to race the Olympic Road Race since 1996, it's history is in no way comparable to the WC.

Winning the WC matters. You get the rainbow jersey, you get the bands for the rest of your career. Win the Olympics and you get to look like Xzibit tried really hard to make your bike look as ridiculous as he could with some gold tape and spray-paint. You might even decide to wear gold shoes and look like a footballer.

The OG would be bigger in football (soccer) if the nations could list the same team as they can at the WC. The u23 rule* (I know you can have some older players) is what is keeping it down.

*I'm not completely sure of how it works

The same goes for boxing. It only works as a comparison with cycling before 1996.

King Boonen said:
Bardamu said:
Being called an olympic gold medallist is quite prestigious, also in road cycling.

No near as prestigious as being the World Champion.
Dependable on the person, but you are an olympic champion for life. You're just the world champion for a year.

But this thread was specifically about Rio and Doha, not Olympics and WC in general. You agree that because the Rio parcours is much more awesome than the Doha parcours, this year Rio might be regarded more important?

Btw, more riders are building their season around Rio than Doha this year.