• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bike Build - Components Thread

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so I am building up a bike, mainly using money from selling stuff I no longer use, so rather than buy it in one go I am going to slowly build it up.

I have: Frame/Fork/Seatpost/Drop Bar.

It is the first time I am doing this and I wanted to check the componentry set up that I will need.

It is a road bike. so far I have come up with the following list:

Wheelset
Front Crankset
Front Derailleur
Rear Cassette
Rear Derailleur
Front Brake
Rear Brake
Left Hood
Right Hood
Bottom Bracket (not BB:30)
Stem
Front Skewer
Rear Skewer
Saddle
Bar Tape
Cable (Cable housing?)

First time doing this, and as my previous riding has solely been on the track (or borrowed road bike) I wanted to make sure I had the full component list.

Also, where do you think is the best place to get components? I have access to ebay, but I do not know how reliable second hand parts will be and have some worries over compatibility.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Big GMaC said:
Ok, so I am building up a bike, mainly using money from selling stuff I no longer use, so rather than buy it in one go I am going to slowly build it up.

I have: Frame/Fork/Seatpost/Drop Bar.

It is the first time I am doing this and I wanted to check the componentry set up that I will need.

It is a road bike. so far I have come up with the following list:

Wheelset
Front Crankset
Front Derailleur
Rear Cassette
Rear Derailleur
Front Brake
Rear Brake
Left Hood
Right Hood
Bottom Bracket (not BB:30)
Stem
Front Skewer
Rear Skewer
Saddle
Bar Tape
Cable (Cable housing?)

First time doing this, and as my previous riding has solely been on the track (or borrowed road bike) I wanted to make sure I had the full component list.

Also, where do you think is the best place to get components? I have access to ebay, but I do not know how reliable second hand parts will be and have some worries over compatibility.

Big GMaC said:
headset!
bar plugs!

Chain
Pedals
Seatpost Clamp?
Bottle Cages
Water Bottles
Cycle Computer/HR Monitor
Seat-bag with Spare Tube, Multi Tool, Patch Kit and a Few Chain Links
C02 Inflator and/or Mini Pump
Tools to Assemble Bike
Tires
Tubes
Good Rim Strips

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
titan_90 said:
Chain knew there was something important not there!
Pedals -got
Seatpost Clamp? with seat post
Bottle Cages got
Water Bottles got
Cycle Computer/HR Monitor to expensive (just ride harder?)/got
Seat-bag with Spare Tube, Multi Tool, Patch Kit and a Few Chain Links
C02 Inflator and/or Mini Pump
Tools to Assemble Bike
Tires any advice on good ones for clinchers?
Tubes got
Good Rim Strips rim strips?

Thanks! ___________________________

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I just built up a bike from scratch.
Don't forget:
* Steerer cap-screw assembly
* Steerer tube spacers
* Tools - my Home Depot cutters wore out after making several cable housing cuts.
* Grease
* Bike repair stand - Invaluable - I should have bought one years ago.
* End caps for cables and housings (my LBS gave me these for free)
* My frame came without a seat post clamp - it was a real pain finding one that fit.
Good luck with your endeavor.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Big GMaC said:

I will never buy a prebuilt bike again, I am very picky about my components and I would need to replace most of the bike anyway. And I enjoy building the bike myself and knowing that it is put together properly. Sheldon Brown's and Park Tools websites are both great for the DIYer. If you have any questions just ask, there are many people on here that will help you.

Ebay is a good source for components you can find great deals if you are willing to search and do some waiting. I am in the US and I like Pro Bike Kit, Wiggle and Ribble for buying bike goods. They are all in the UK but they are cheaper and ship quicker than any US retailer. My last order from Nashbar took ten days:mad: while I get my orders from the UK in three to four days:cool:

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Big GMaC said:

I have bought most of the parts for my bike build project on ebay or other internet sources.
For ebay I bought take-off or unused components for critical items and things like stems and bars just trusted to luck to a large extent. Make sure you are buying from a cyclist, bike shop, or someone with lots of history buying & selling. So far everything I purchased was in exellant condition althougfh a stem I bought is not right for me - I bought a second one and will sell the first one.
Wheels I bought from my LBS even though I could have saved a few dollars buying on line or from Performance.

TRENDING THREADS