• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bike cleaning - Can you help us?

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
Hi everybody,

we are currently working on a new cleaning product for our bikes and we are curious who else is the type of guy who cleans his bike regularly. So I just wanted to ask you guys if you could help me with that and spend 3-5 minutes answering a few questions for us. If you don't want to take part I can also ask you right here. Everything is completely anonymous and we are not looking for any personal information or contact details. So if anyone wants to support me please go to

https://docs.google.com/forms/u/1/d/1yA3okCwPtJXGTnzzdveAO1Z3qiSuQU4bedFQ0QGrjhA/edit?usp=drive_web

Thanks guys! And if you have any questions just let me know

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Irondan said:
I took the survey and found it wasn't too intrusive, although asking for email addresses contradicts the OP when they claim that it's anonymous.

I asked my friends to delete the email part I'm so sorry for that. If you don't want to provide your email address you really don't have to take part. I'm very sorry for that and thanks so much for this feedback!

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Irondan said:
I took the survey and found it wasn't too intrusive, although asking for email addresses contradicts the OP when they claim that it's anonymous.

I'm so sorry, I asked my friends to delete this please don't take part if you Dn't want to provide your email address I totally understand this. Thanks for this feedback!

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Irondan said:

I doublechecked and you're not required to provide your email address fyi

Re: Re:

ilovemtbks said:
Irondan said:

No, you're not required to "provide" your email address to submit the survey, but you're asked twice for it at the end of the survey, after you already spent the time taking it while thinking this isn't an exercise in email collection to go with data collection.

It was misrepresented in the OP, if you can't see my point of view there's nothing I can do about it but asking for email addresses is not a "completely anonymous" survey.

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site

Irondan said:
ilovemtbks said:
Irondan said:

No, you're not required to "provide" your email address to submit the survey, but you're asked twice for it at the end of the survey, after you already spent the time taking it while thinking this isn't an exercise in email collection to go with data collection.

It was misrepresented in the OP, if you can't see my point of view there's nothing I can do about it but asking for email addresses is not a "completely anonymous" survey.

I'm sorry for that I should have mention that but as you are not required to fill in your mail address and because you're not asked to provide your name or any other personal information you can take part anonymously. But thanks for this feedback I never posted in a forum before so this is very helpful for me to avoid mistakes like this in the future.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
-Baby wipes are for your taint.

-Soap and water is for your bike.

-"Bike cleaners" which are usually bought in bulk then re-bottled, rebranded, then backed by some silly story about a 'special formula just for bikes' or some such are for people who don't know any better.

English language fail by question 4. I don't speak Kangaroo. "Pushbike"?...C'mon already. :rolleyes:

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
Giuseppe Magnetico said:

-"Bike cleaners" which are usually bought in bulk then re-bottled, rebranded, then backed by some silly story about a 'special formula just for bikes' or some such are for people who don't know any better.

English language fail by question 4. I don't speak Kangaroo. "Pushbike"?...C'mon already. :rolleyes:

great thanks! hahaha yeah I already told my friends that pushbike is a fail :D

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
Wipe your frame with baby wipes. Wipe your wheels with baby wipes. No chance of any water getting anywhere . It works just fine.
Take your rear wheel off and wipe your cassette , you can pull the baby wipes between cogs easy . It cleans very well and no mess.
If you use a Y ban chain and carbon chainrings ( I do) you don't even need to use any lube , the ybans are self lubing. So you just wipe the chain with a couple of baby wipes . It takes very little time you have no danger of getting water into hubs etc and your bike looks pristine. If you have a carbon frame or parts use some aero 303 and this will give nice protection, uva etc. I have being doing this for years and both my bikes are spotless. I never ride a dirty bike . My cassette is always spotless.
I think for myself and do what works and this works real well.

Giuseppe Magnetico said:

Pushbike is actually a fairly common term here in Aus by people who don't ride.

Agree on the baby wipes, they can scratch up the paint on your frame over time by picking up the dirt and dragging it. I only use them for wiping cassettes and hands.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Giuseppe Magnetico said:

Agree on the baby wipes, they can scratch up the paint on your frame over time by picking up the dirt and dragging it. I only use them for wiping cassettes and hands.

Exactly!... In Australia. My point was that the vast majority of the english speaking world doesn't use that term. Which leads me to believe that this 'survey' was made for a school project.

I don't agree with wet wipes at all, not really even for babies. The environmental impact of this garbage is pretty ridiculous. Being lazy comes at a price I'm not willing to pay.

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
Giuseppe Magnetico said:
42x16ss said:
Giuseppe Magnetico said:

Exactly!... In Australia. My point was that the vast majority of the english speaking world doesn't use that term. Which leads me to believe that this 'survey' was made for a school project.

I don't agree with wet wipes at all, not really even for babies. The environmental impact of this garbage is pretty ridiculous. Being lazy comes at a price I'm not willing to pay.

On my bikes the grease I use is white lightening which is environmentally friendly. The wipes I use are environmentally friendly. My bikes don't have paint ,Many thanks

Re:

Lv426 said:
Wipe your frame with baby wipes. Wipe your wheels with baby wipes. No chance of any water getting anywhere . It works just fine.
Take your rear wheel off and wipe your cassette , you can pull the baby wipes between cogs easy . It cleans very well and no mess.
If you use a Y ban chain and carbon chainrings ( I do) you don't even need to use any lube , the ybans are self lubing. So you just wipe the chain with a couple of baby wipes . It takes very little time you have no danger of getting water into hubs etc and your bike looks pristine. If you have a carbon frame or parts use some aero 303 and this will give nice protection, uva etc. I have being doing this for years and both my bikes are spotless. I never ride a dirty bike . My cassette is always spotless.

This fella does exactly the same:

viewtopic.php?p=1805572#p1805572

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Lv426 said:
On my bikes the grease I use is white lightening which is environmentally friendly. The wipes I use are environmentally friendly. My bikes don't have paint ,Many thanks

"Environmentally friendly" is marketing schtick for people who believe the hype, especially so for major market consumer goods like wet wipes. Yes indeed there are good lubes and degreasers for us cyclists, but not these wipes. Even the so called 'biodegradable' or 'compostable' labeled ones do not live up to that hype. These disgusting things are considered one of the top polluters because they don't break down very well or even completely. The oceans are full of them.

I believe you have good intentions, but are pretty lazy if you convinced yourself that it's ok to throw something solid away every time you do something so simple like washing a bike. A bucket of soap and water and a reusable natural chamois or an old t-shirt is too difficult to manage in today's convenient instant gratification society... I get it. But I absolutely don't agree with it.

Aug 20, 2017
Visit site
Giuseppe Magnetico said:
Lv426 said:

"Environmentally friendly" is marketing schtick for people who believe the hype, especially so for major market consumer goods like wet wipes. Yes indeed there are good lubes and degreasers for us cyclists, but not these wipes. Even the so called 'biodegradable' or 'compostable' labeled ones do not live up to that hype. These disgusting things are considered one of the top polluters because they don't break down very well or even completely. The oceans are full of them.

I believe you have good intentions, but are pretty lazy if you convinced yourself that it's ok to throw something solid away every time you do something so simple like washing a bike. A bucket of soap and water and a reusable natural chamois or an old t-shirt is too difficult to manage in today's convenient instant gratification society... I get it. But I absolutely don't agree with it.

I use bum bossa baby wipes . 100p percent bio degradable made from bamboo and the company also plant trees etc ..very environmentally friendly . Do a google then you can apologise

Also someone using a product that may not be the best for our environment does not mean they are lazy. It's not always easy for people to be "perfect" I really hate this elitist attitude. If I was you instead of worrying about some mum who uses baby wipes start complaining to the governments etc who spend trillions on destroying our planet with endless wars that have no end and oil companies etc polluting the sh£t out of our planet. They could spend taken a tiny amount of that money and give free healthcare and free education to all . But they don't . The US military budget this year is , this year is 597 billion dollars . Last year it was 596 billion . So if some mum uses a baby wipe that's going to do funk all in the scheme of things . Also I recommend you check out the NASA scientists who resigned because NASA altered the data concerning weather . You could also check out Judith curry one of the worlds leading meteorological experts talking at the us senete. Also look into climate gate and also the petition signed by over 30.000 meteorologists who use proof not false data or predictions to show the truth about our weather and how the funding is only given to those whom fall in line with the current policys on climate change.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Apologize for..... ? because you haven't figured out how to use the water from your faucet. When you drop out of orbit into reality and not try and make this political you just might see how ridiculous you made cleaning a bike.

Just curious. What is your annual consumption of those in packages/dollars terms?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Giuseppe Magnetico said:

Pushbike was a common term in the UK in the 1950s; however it was usually referring to "sit-up-and-beg" commuter bikes (enclosed chain case, rod brakes, mudguards, multi speed hub)

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Push-bike is still a common term around here for anything that isn't a Motorbike or Mountain bike.
The term "Racer" is still used to describe a drop-barred push=bike too...generally by people who don't ride :rolleyes:

Survey done......it's Brake Cleaner not Break Cleaner BTW :)

May 5, 2010
Visit site
ilovemtbks said:
Hi everybody,

we are currently working on a new cleaning product for our bikes and we are curious who else is the type of guy who cleans his bike regularly. So I just wanted to ask you guys if you could help me with that and spend 3-5 minutes answering a few questions for us. If you don't want to take part I can also ask you right here. Everything is completely anonymous and we are not looking for any personal information or contact details. So if anyone wants to support me please go to

https://docs.google.com/forms/u/1/d/1yA3okCwPtJXGTnzzdveAO1Z3qiSuQU4bedFQ0QGrjhA/edit?usp=drive_web

Thanks guys! And if you have any questions just let me know

Rags - mostly old tee shirts and towels, degreaser for the chain, cassette and rims. The chain and cassette get doused with alcohol for cleaning drying. I use a hose on the bike at times. I am not overly concerned with water infiltration except at the hubs. I’ve never seen any water infiltration when I grease the hubs. If I never rode a less than pristine bike, I would not ride much.

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site

Vino's Mum said:
Lv426 said:

This fella does exactly the same:
I agree with you, the same thing I did. This saves you a lot of effort and water too. It doesn't take to much time, lets you save time and effort. Cheers!
viewtopic.php?p=1805572#p1805572

TRENDING THREADS