• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bike doping

Team GB is clearly cheating with its use of non-commercial frames and components. UCI rules state that equipment must be available to everyone. Ostensibly there is an email address on one of their websites where stuff can be ordered, but it is clear that they have no intention of actually selling the gear. The Brits have been doing this for years.

What is the difference between someone figuring out how to break the doping rules and someone figuring out how to break the equipment rules? It certainly shows the mindset of Brailsford. If he can get away with breaking the rules then he will do so.

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I believe they keep the dope in the stem:

11141|000007e4b|9747_UKSI-GB-bike-front-end.jpg

May 19, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Team GB is clearly cheating with its use of non-commercial frames and components. UCI rules state that equipment must be available to everyone. Ostensibly there is an email address on one of their websites where stuff can be ordered, but it is clear that they have no intention of actually selling the gear. The Brits have been doing this for years.

What is the difference between someone figuring out how to break the doping rules and someone figuring out how to break the equipment rules? It certainly shows the mindset of Brailsford. If he can get away with breaking the rules then he will do so.

Uhhh, yeah..:mad:

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
Fair point BroDeal. But really, why give a ****?

It's just a bike innit, makes no difference to the outcome of the race.

Unless you've been swayed by the marginal gains BS? :D

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
badboygolf16v said:
Fair point BroDeal. But really, why give a ****?

It's just a bike innit, makes no difference to the outcome of the race.

Unless you've been swayed by the marginal gains BS? :D

Different rules for different teams == corruption.

It's kind of strange why they're making such a secret of their equipment. If the bikes are that good, why not sell them in stores, make a bit of money for British cycling and support the British economy as well?
And if they are not that good, why bother?

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:
It's kind of strange why they're making such a secret of their equipment. If the bikes are that good, why not sell them in stores, make a bit of money for British cycling and support the British economy as well?
And if they are not that good, why bother?

Psychology... Making your guys believe they have an equipment advantage is a boost to them and a harm to others. Much more relevant on the track where the events are shorter and there's a bigger gain from getting the mental side of things right.

Doubt there's really much of a market in custom built carbon kit.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Sorry but your simply wrong,they are available
http://www.uksport.gov.uk/pages/cycling/
anyone with the right money can buy them and really you hate sky/brits that much and yes you pointed out the have an email addy and thats it but come on this is getting silly now.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
User Guide said:
anyone with the right money can buy them and really you hate sky/brits that much and yes you pointed out the have an email addy and thats it but come on this is getting silly now.

They are available but are clearly designed never to be sold and just to tick a box. When someone puts in a ruling for something to be "commercially available" this is clearly not the "spirit of the law". As such if the UCI do not amend the law to make this kind of practice illegal, then it seems to me that they are looking the other way

User Guide said:

Hard to really tell from that page. They pretend they'd be willing to sell, yeah, but have you ever heard of anyone actually buying one? They don't even give a price tag.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
You could just about say the same about the Cervelo R5ca. It was made-to-order (right?) and cost 7.5k frame and fork. Unless you really can't buy them I don't see that the case is a strong one.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
taiwan said:
You could just about say the same about the Cervelo R5ca. It was made-to-order (right?) and cost 7.5k frame and fork. Unless you really can't buy them I don't see that the case is a strong one.

I bet you these cost more than 7.5k. In a situation where they give the prices on a quotation basis, they just whack up the price to put everyone off.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
If I put effort and time and money into it like they have,I wouldnt put them up for sale @wiggle etc would you?
However I might ban them on the grounds that the bar/stem combo is FUGLEEEEEEEEEEEE

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Caruut said:
I bet you these cost more than 7.5k. In a situation where they give the prices on a quotation basis, they just whack up the price to put everyone off.

I cant remember where I heard/read it but 10k for the track bike I heard was the price.But as I said I cant back that up.
It does also state that the development costs have now been covered by the british teams purchases so 10k seems about right.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
User Guide said:
If I put effort and time and money into it like they have,I wouldnt put them up for sale @wiggle etc would you?
However I might ban them on the grounds that the bar/stem combo is FUGLEEEEEEEEEEEE

This is sort of the point of the ruling - no a team might not want to make them commercially available for obvious reasons - but they have to. GB are doing something which is technically in the rules but is also clearly the kind of situation that these rules are designed to avoid. As such, the UCI should re-design the rules so that they are fit for purpose. The fact that they don't tells me they don't want to and are looking the other way because it's Britain.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Maybe they couldn't get enough extra £££££££ from Pinarello to put the TDF No.1 and 2 and the likely Olympic Champion on their bikes outside of the trade team?

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Caruut said:
This is sort of the point of the ruling - no a team might not want to make them commercially available for obvious reasons - but they have to. GB are doing something which is technically in the rules but is also clearly the kind of situation that these rules are designed to avoid. As such, the UCI should re-design the rules so that they are fit for purpose. The fact that they don't tells me they don't want to and are looking the other way because it's Britain.

Unless we pose as the chinese cycling team and try to get a quote for 20 bikes its just speculation.However you do have a point as the rules do need defining better to avoid the look of favouritism etc.....
But its the UCI and clear easy transparent rules etc dont make me laugh
LOL did i just say transparent and UCI in the same breath :eek:

PS its just a bike and conforms too the same rules in design as any other that have probably had more money spent in the development stage so i dont get the big deal unless your a sky/brit basher then I guess it might be.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
taiwan said:
Maybe they couldn't get enough extra £££££££ from Pinarello to put the TDF No.1 and 2 and the likely Olympic Champion on their bikes outside of the trade team?

That and word is (and not just heard this in forums) many of sky guys hate the pinarello.

TRENDING THREADS