• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bike Racks & Trainers

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Like everyone, I like a good rack. So, does anyone know which rack is better, a trunk loader or toploader? I am thinking of buying a rack for my car-that-has-to-come-at-some-point-in-the-States/car-I'll-borrow.

Another somewhat related question - related because the money goes towards a trainer OR a rack - I see that a lot of bikestores carry cycleops trainers in the States, while in Europe I have noticed that more people are using Tacx.

Does anyone have any pros/cons or experience with these systems? Or does one know of a to-me-yet-unbeknown system?

I tried the Tacx Satori but not long enough to have come to a definite conclusion.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The rack, in my opinion, depends on your car. The roof rack system is good for cars with a low roof because it is easy to mount your bikes. I am not so sure this is true for SUVs and vans. Someone else may be better to comment on how easy it is to mount a bike on roof racks for higher roofed cars.

I have a Kurt Kinetic trainer (well, two) and am very happy with them. Similar feel to the road with the big wheel. Nothing fancy - no adjustable tension etc. Just mount your bike on the trainer and go.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I dumped the rack, sick of having bugs wind splattered on my bike! I bought a cool bike bag and now bag the bike in the trunk where it is safe from bugs and prying eyes and I never have to remember the bike is on top when entering a garage or low overhang. Less worries on longer trips as well, no need to keep it view for paranoia for those of us who don't want to lose a bike. Hey some of us value it.

As for trainer, they're all pretty much equal, sure some blow but just keep the investment under 120 bucks and you should be fine. All of them eventually leak the oil in the mag or the fly wheel disengages. Just keep the expense below the making a big hole in your wallet and its fine.

TRENDING THREADS