• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Binck BankTour 29 september - 3 october

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
To be fair, the ISN guy was not riding 2nd wheel. He was guiding his teammate, leading some kind of 2nd train, looked under his shoulder and suddenly the Sunweb guy was infront of him and he couldn't brake in time.

I'm not saying it's not his fault but I wouldn't call him an idiot either. Very unlucky imo.
I'm very happy nobody hit that little brick wall.

Last edited:
To be fair, the ISN guy was not riding 2nd wheel. He was guiding his teammate, leading some kind of 2nd train, looked under his shoulder and suddenly the Sunweb guy was infront of him and he couldn't brake in time.

I'm not saying it's not his fault but I wouldn't call him an idiot either. Very unlucky imo.

on looking at it again, you are right. He was surprised to suddenly find himself second wheel as he looked back up, he had been in the wind. quite a strange manoeuvre by the Sunweb guy to pull out and over in front of him too. there’s blame to go around.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
There should be a bit of a discussion about pulling out. You should do it in a gradual way that is easy to predict instead of thinking when you move off from the front (or near the front) you're suddenly ethereal.
If you race in bunches you have to deal with things like this. It's one of the most predictable incidents at the end of a race. People get to the front, they go hard and then they pop. Usually they'll try and get out of the way to somewhere that makes it easy to pass but sometimes they can't/don't.

If you race in bunches you have to deal with things like this. It's one of the most predictable incidents at the end of a race. People get to the front, they go hard and then they pop. Usually they'll try and get out of the way to somewhere that makes it easy to pass but sometimes they can't/don't.

it was a weirder move than that though. he went right to left across the front of the peloton, while looking to his right. it was a case of two guys simultaneously not looking where they were going.

it was a weirder move than that though. he went right to left across the front of the peloton, while looking to his right. it was a case of two guys simultaneously not looking where they were going.
I'm just going on what people said, it sounded like he was looking to try get out of the way but this sounds like he just wasn't paying attention? Trying to find video.

That Philipsen sprint was another of those where the hell did that guy come from Dan McLay specials. Ackermann was slowly dying in the wind, Philipsen was weaving through guys in his wake.
Philipsen is very maneuverable and technical. It's why he was never a good fit as a leadout for Kristoff because the latter often couldn't follow him. But up until now, Philipsen always seemed to lack pure speed and got a massive amount of top 10 finishes, with very few victories. Maybe he just came into the wind too soon in the past. Today he came very late and he beat two strong guys, who might have started too early.

I missed those belgian profiles where every hump in the road looks like Mortirolo.
One cobble has a steeper gradient than your Mortirolo.

It's just a bit shorter.

Last edited:
Found the crash, the main trains are up the right and the Sunweb rider is just pulls off the front after doing his turn by the looks of it. It's what happens and getting over left is the right thing to do. Trains coming up the other side should be aware it's going to happen. To me it's just a racing incident. Similar moves happen all the time and this one has just turned unlucky.

TRENDING THREADS