• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Biniam Girmay discussion thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Can someone explain to me why a rider from a totalitarian dictatorship that supports Russia's invasion of Ukraine might have trouble obtaining a visa to race in the UK?

Is it cause they is racist in the visa place?
Can someone explain to me why it is unreasonable to expect a country hosting a World Championship to provide visas to athletes who have qualified for the event?

Whether you like it or not, but athletes from totalitarian dictatorships regularly participate in international sporting events, as long as their country isn't outright banned from competition.

And the way you phrased your last sentence is quite tasteless, in my opinion.

The only main result where luck played a part was his GW win and even in that case he still had the legs to beat a world class rider like Laporte in the sprint.
No luck involved in his Giro stage win over MvdP, his excellent result in Harelbeke, his podium in Quebec, etc.

He's just worse this year for whatever reason.
Laporte isn’t a world class rider, he’s a top 10 rider in classics. Let’s not pretend MVDP was in great form at the Giro. Quebec was won by Cosnefroy.

I’m not saying Girmay is a bad rider, he’s a top 10 rider, but not a WVA/MVDP rider. And that’s why last year he was lucky that he got some wins, but normally he’ll ride a good result and compete for a win but won’t in most cases.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Laporte isn’t a world class rider, he’s a top 10 rider in classics. Let’s not pretend MVDP was in great form at the Giro. Quebec was won by Cosnefroy.

I’m not saying Girmay is a bad rider, he’s a top 10 rider, but not a WVA/MVDP rider. And that’s why last year he was lucky that he got some wins, but normally he’ll ride a good result and compete for a win but won’t in most cases.
Let me correct you here. Laporte is The Greatest.