Question Blacking out

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 30, 2020
I have a friend that was in the Army. During basic training, when recruits were pushed to their limits, fatigued and (often) dehydrated), they blacked out. This was a relatively common occurrence. The Air Force actually did a study on the subject:

Lamb LE, Green HC, Combs JJ, Cheeseman SA, Hammond J. Incidence of loss of consciousness in 1,980 Air Force personnel. Aerosp Med. 1960;31:973-988.PubMedGoogle Scholar

It could be vasovagal syncope (passing out/fainting). After the fact, it may not be possible to get a definitive diagnosis. Often, doctors will work to rule everything else out and then might conclude that, yep, you must have fainted.

The key thing is to be aware that if you push yourself too hard, fail to hydrate, fail to get a good night's sleep, etc - fail to take care of yourself and be aware of your body, you can pass out and break bones, etc.

Sep 17, 2020
I just suffered a blacked out while riding, same thing, many tests and they can't find anything. I have a fractured clavicle and some road rash. Oddly enough my blood pressure and oxygen levels were fine. There is a possibility of my BP go up and then drop suddenly causing the black out.
Thank You for your reply. I'm still undergoing testing. I will post if I get any solid answers.

Sep 17, 2020
I have a friend that was in the Army. During basic training, when recruits were pushed to their limits, fatigued and (often) dehydrated), they blacked out. This was a relatively common occurrence. The Air Force actually did a study on the subject:

Lamb LE, Green HC, Combs JJ, Cheeseman SA, Hammond J. Incidence of loss of consciousness in 1,980 Air Force personnel. Aerosp Med. 1960;31:973-988.PubMedGoogle Scholar

It could be vasovagal syncope (passing out/fainting). After the fact, it may not be possible to get a definitive diagnosis. Often, doctors will work to rule everything else out and then might conclude that, yep, you must have fainted.

The key thing is to be aware that if you push yourself too hard, fail to hydrate, fail to get a good night's sleep, etc - fail to take care of yourself and be aware of your body, you can pass out and break bones, etc.
Thanks for the input. In my case, everything was normal. I'm almost 50 years old. I was at the end of a comparably easy when of riding. I wasn't dehydrated or sleep deprived. Long term fatigue & age could be a factor. Without facts, thats just grasping at straws, though.

Aug 30, 2020
Thanks for the input. In my case, everything was normal. I'm almost 50 years old. I was at the end of a comparably easy when of riding. I wasn't dehydrated or sleep deprived. Long term fatigue & age could be a factor. Without facts, thats just grasping at straws, though.
I'm 64. Plenty of straw-grasping with my doctors, too. I never considered bicycling to be hazardous, but now with 7 broken and displaced ribs and a separated shoulder, I'm not so sure. I did feel just a little bit odd, slightly dizzy, before I passed out. So now I really have to pay attention to any little signals like that, get off my bike ASAP and lie on my back with my feet up in the air!

Feb 24, 2021
I am another casualty to this about 6 weeks ago. I thought I had hit a pothole when I came to, but don't remember the split second of panic before, so now thinking I have passed out. It was early morning and still dark on a country lane, with some traffic around including another nurse to the rescue. I was feeling fine and not pushed myself at that point, also had radar on bike so knew no vehicles close by. Had a few days in hospital and a couple of broken teeth, bike damage to a front wheel spoke, bars, stem and just really face damage all seemed like an over the bars incident. A colleague got me thinking it wasn't when he told me of someone they knew who blacked out on a their motorbike and ended up in a wheelchair in a vegetated state. The analysis they received was a domant neck/spine injury which had been slightly knocked into life to cause the passing out. I am now worried if I continue to cycle or like others here have no reoccurrence and don't want to give up something I love, but worried for my family if it does happen in a worse way next time or even happen in a car.

I had been told a week or two earlier that I had mildly high blood pressure and I also ended up with a small blood clot in one eye, which I had put down to the impact as that eye was virtually closed for the first day from the swelling. Also had a small brain hemorrhage, but was not deemed to be anything significant.

So many mysteries on this thread, not sure if jumping to conclusions to say many very related, with just the cause not being known.

Sep 17, 2020
Wow! Sorry about that. It’s been since August that mine happened & still no answers. I’ve had echo cardiogram, ekg, eeg, mri & on & on. Might never have an answer. It’s frustrating. I need the bike now, more than ever.

ASK THE COMMUNITY