• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Blood donations and resulting thoughts

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Please forgive (and pls refer me to appropriate thread) if this revisits previous thoughts.

Friday (18 Jun) went out to my usual climb and struggled to generate a really disappointing 195w @ 176HR then 19 Jun 225w @ 171HR (PowerTap SL).

Unable to fathom my mediocre (even for me :) ) performance I recalled :eek: that I gave blood, 470ml, on 17 Jun.

My 20min is 308w @ 171HR (coinciding with personal best of 20.15 for the same climb March this year). Also of relevance, recently (3 weeks ago) had the 'flu with consequent impact on fitness.

So my thoughts:

1. What is the relationship of power output relative to blood volume? (where x is blood volume and y is power output)

Could it be of the form y=x cubed where full blood volume = 10 and y correspondingly = 1000 which is 100% of normal power output. Yes I acknowledge that a blood volume of less than 8 would place you in need of serious medical attention.

2. What length of time after blood letting would "normal" power output be likely?

Further thoughts: to reduce chance of blood passport "infraction" I assume in addition to micro-dosing the reverse would also apply (?). That is: micro blood letting.

3. What are the suspected micro-dosing or microletting amounts (that the micro dosing pros use)?

Any thoughts or stirring gratefully received.

Zerak-Tul said:
http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/Ba-Ca/Blood-Volume.html

This might shed a little light on the basic functions of blood volume. Mind that where it says 51 liters, it's supposed to say 5.1.

Great article. I like this:

Significant blood volume benefits from altitude training occur within one to three months of commencement; the benefits are retained on a declining basis for up to three months.

Seems odd then to head off for "altitude training" 2-3 weeks before the start of your A goal for the year. Just sayin'...

:)

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I can say from personal experience that 3 weeks spent at altitude (Vail in the summer) made a huge difference when I returned to lower elevations in Indiana. Perhaps like the 51 liter typo, it should have read weeks instead of months.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
JA.Tri said:
Please forgive (and pls refer me to appropriate thread) if this revisits previous thoughts.

Friday (18 Jun) went out to my usual climb and struggled to generate a really disappointing 195w @ 176HR then 19 Jun 225w @ 171HR (PowerTap SL).

Unable to fathom my mediocre (even for me :) ) performance I recalled :eek: that I gave blood, 470ml, on 17 Jun.

My 20min is 308w @ 171HR (coinciding with personal best of 20.15 for the same climb March this year). Also of relevance, recently (3 weeks ago) had the 'flu with consequent impact on fitness.

So my thoughts:

1. What is the relationship of power output relative to blood volume? (where x is blood volume and y is power output)

Could it be of the form y=x cubed where full blood volume = 10 and y correspondingly = 1000 which is 100% of normal power output. Yes I acknowledge that a blood volume of less than 8 would place you in need of serious medical attention.

2. What length of time after blood letting would "normal" power output be likely?

Further thoughts: to reduce chance of blood passport "infraction" I assume in addition to micro-dosing the reverse would also apply (?). That is: micro blood letting.

3. What are the suspected micro-dosing or microletting amounts (that the micro dosing pros use)?

Any thoughts or stirring gratefully received.

Jeez, take it easy.

You had the flu 3 weeks ago and then you had a significant blood donation.

Turn off your computer for a month, at least,and just go by perceived exertion.

I don't know how old you are but I've noticed cold viruses hanging on for two weeks at a time on the infrequent occasions I get colds. I'm in my mid forties and seemed to get less severe, but more frequent colds when I was younger.

Just get the blood pumping and relax. Get stronger before you push yourself.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
@Buckwheat: ta will proceed on perceived exertion (am 52 years, even though I feel (sort of) like I am still 20 or so and act it :p).

Did anybody have any thoughts on the remainder of post. I am thinking (really guessing...grasping for straws :) ) that given the caution required to avoid detection that graduated blood extraction was as necessary as graduated dosing???

Any way ta.

TRENDING THREADS