• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Blood doped. What can I expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone. I hope you understand my English :)
I am going to be a part of an experiment where I will be blood doped. I have to donate 450 ml blood and a month after I will get it back. The HCT should be around 60 in the reinjection.
Is this enough to give me a remarkable boost?
The experiment is legal and a purpose of trying to find a method to detect autologous transfusions.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
stephens said:
I'd be happy to sign up for a study like that. Just for once I'd like to feel what it'd be like to ride/run with a hematocrit of 50 instead of my 35.

A danish guy who is an amateur marathonist tried doing that for a while. He rode up Alpe d'Huez a few times before and after a 2 week EPO treatment.
Performance aside, just focusing on what it feels like, he said it made him far more aggressive and he kept wanting to ride fast regardless of the circumstances.

At one point he used the words "I wanted to attack the road like it was flat". This was Alpe d'Huez, mind.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Better get advice from Riis. He's the only pro athlete I know who has regularly been as high as 60%. Could ask Pantani, but unfortunately he's dead.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Indurain said:
Better get advice from Riis. He's the only pro athlete I know who has regularly been as high as 60%. Could ask Pantani, but unfortunately he's dead.

AFAIK Riis got the nickname mr. 60 percent because the Festina riders charged to the mid-50 and assumed that anyone who beat them must have had a higher %. There is to the best of my knowledge no actual evidence of what percentage Riis did charge to. Of cause if any such evidence exists I'd be happy to see it but a nickname=/ evidence.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thats a high crit they are getting to.

It probably wont be that high to begin with. You will have all of the plasma tranfused with too.

Anyhow, there is a protein in blood that is important in the bonding of haemoglobin to oxygen. Ive forgotten its name and really cant be bothered working through the textbooks to find it at this hour of the night. However, it takes the body a couple of days before it can put all of those transfused erythrocytes to good use.

Give it two days and you should be flying. Especially if you are a trained athlete already. Make sure you let us know how it goes.

I once performed a wee experiment on myself with ecchinacea. I took an iron pill a day and 8 ecchinacea tablets a day for a month. The crit went from 43 to 47.
It was hardly a well controlled double blind test, and would clearly be open to placebo effect etc. But the main things i noticed were a mild increase in threshold power, but more importantly I didnt get tired very easily. I felt fairly fresh at the end of a hard ride and at my limit I didnt feel so stressed as I did previously. Recovery seemed mildy better too.

Small difference there, but interesting feelings came from it. Although I would consider it a bit didgy and wouldnt bother doing so again.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Guys, read the OP again. He's not boosting to 60%. He says that the blood that will be reinjected will be at 60%. Since that's a fraction of the blood in his body, the overall rise in hematocrit will be quite low, each time.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
careful dude you can die in your sleep from this "test" of yours.. eat plenty of natural blood thinners every single day, like garlic, fish oil, onions, look up the rest..

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Danishdoper,
I don't know how big the effects of your treatment will be, but I think experiences from a similar research project on EPO in Norway in the late 90s may be of interest to you - and many others here.
You are probably able to read these norwegian articles (others could try Google translation):
http://www.vg.no/sport/sykkel/tour-de-france/2008/artikkel.php?artid=194660
http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/2002/03/13/318772.html
Both athletes reported a 10-15% increase in VO2 after 4 weeks on EPO.
The triathlete says he lost all motivation to compete and retired after the project when he realized he would never be able to get back to the level that he had during those weeks.
The cyclist was unable to do easy workouts when on EPO.
Scary stuff...

May 30, 2010
Visit site
stephens said:
Guys, read the OP again. He's not boosting to 60%. He says that the blood that will be reinjected will be at 60%. Since that's a fraction of the blood in his body, the overall rise in hematocrit will be quite low, each time.

Thank you, that is what I mean!

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Brooks Fahey Baldwin said:

Anyhow, there is a protein in blood that is important in the bonding of haemoglobin to oxygen. Ive forgotten its name and really cant be bothered working through the textbooks to find it at this hour of the night. However, it takes the body a couple of days before it can put all of those transfused erythrocytes to good use.

That's 2,3 DPG. It helps with the offloading of O2 at the tissue level. Levels of 2,3 DPG fall in stored blood (can't find a reason why), and it takes some time to return to normal.

Could that be the marker to use for autologous transfusions?

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
onefastgear said:
That's 2,3 DPG. It helps with the offloading of O2 at the tissue level. Levels of 2,3 DPG fall in stored blood (can't find a reason why), and it takes some time to return to normal.

Could that be the marker to use for autologous transfusions?

Interesting idea. You would once again have a short window in which to catch someone. But then, if you could devise a test for it, some smart lab cookie is probably already on it.

At least the testers would have a fair idea as to just when dopers would be taking their transfutions.
The only complication is the likelyhood that dopers are moving away from transfutions and on to gene doping. Or if you listen to greentea, they are all on creatine :rolleyes:

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Brooks Fahey Baldwin said:

It probably wont be that high to begin with. You will have all of the plasma tranfused with too.

Give it two days and you should be flying. Especially if you are a trained athlete already. Make sure you let us know how it goes.

I once performed a wee experiment on myself with ecchinacea. I took an iron pill a day and 8 ecchinacea tablets a day for a month. The crit went from 43 to 47.
It was hardly a well controlled double blind test, and would clearly be open to placebo effect etc. But the main things i noticed were a mild increase in threshold power, but more importantly I didnt get tired very easily. I felt fairly fresh at the end of a hard ride and at my limit I didnt feel so stressed as I did previously. Recovery seemed mildy better too.

Small difference there, but interesting feelings came from it. Although I would consider it a bit didgy and wouldnt bother doing so again.

Curious how you measured your crit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS