• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BMC 2012 - Dream Team

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
What shoes in Philipe wearing at that BMC training camp?
I've never seen them before - all white, and what looks like one BOA up the front with massive air vents / mesh at the front..

bmc_training_camp_2012_076_600.jpg

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Surely there wouldn't be many teams throughout the history of cycling where you have 3 out of the last 4 winners of the Worlds on the same team.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Surely there wouldn't be many teams throughout the history of cycling where you have 3 out of the last 4 winners of the Worlds on the same team.

Quickstep: 2005-2007
They also had the time trial champion from 2003-2005. Olympic champion from 2004.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Marcuccio said:
What shoes in Philipe wearing at that BMC training camp?
I've never seen them before - all white, and what looks like one BOA up the front with massive air vents / mesh at the front..

bmc_training_camp_2012_076_600.jpg

I will find out for you.

Regarding Phil's weight, I personally think that it is the illusion of the bright red shorts which makes him look bigger.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Way too early I know but this is what I predict the 2012 BMC Tour de France 9 man line up will be:

Evans
Hincapi
Gilbert
Hushovd
TJVG
Burghart
Morabito
Cummings
Quinziato

I think the first 6 are certain. The last 3 I am not so sure.

Also, I am willing to call it now... BMC will win the trade team time trial at the worlds.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Woody22 said:
Way too early I know but this is what I predict the 2012 BMC Tour de France 9 man line up will be:

Evans
Hincapi
Gilbert
Hushovd
TJVG
Burghart
Morabito
Cummings
Quinziato

I think the first 6 are certain. The last 3 I am not so sure.

Also, I am willing to call it now... BMC will win the trade team time trial at the worlds.
I would change Quinziato for Frank personally but I do like your team.

auscyclefan94 said:

What about Tschopp ? Would he offer more support in the mountains than some of the others ? For me, Morabito and Moinard were disappointing in the races I saw them in last year. I expected more from them.

Not a lot of mountain support. Can't imagine any of those riders being with Evans towards the end of a mountain stage but it did not stop him last year. Still a good team on paper. Maybe Frank should be in ? Plenty of experience and strength in the team. Evans will have to do his own chasing anyway when Contador and Schleck go on the attack. No one else in the team will be able to respond in the mountains. I still think Hushovd will ride the Tour.

auscyclefan94 said:

You just want CQ points for Frank.
@MOvingtarget; i did not think Morabito went badly last year, he is just too dogged and does not attack enough. However he did place well at the ToC so that is something that he did go well in. I think Cadel would want Moinard ( if only just to help a bit in the mountains ) in defenitly and TJVG and Cummings.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
What about Tschopp ? Would he offer more support in the mountains than some of the others ? For me, Morabito and Moinard were disappointing in the races I saw them in last year. I expected more from them.

Not a lot of mountain support. Can't imagine any of those riders being with Evans towards the end of a mountain stage but it did not stop him last year. Still a good team on paper. Maybe Frank should be in ? Plenty of experience and strength in the team. Evans will have to do his own chasing anyway when Contador and Schleck go on the attack. No one else in the team will be able to respond in the mountains. I still think Hushovd will ride the Tour.
Tschopp is another possibility and a good climber but I think BMC could only take 2 out of Tschopp, Frank and Morabito for the tour team. Morabito seems to be seen favourably as he is given leadership at many races. Moinard was dissapointing but Steve did have some good races such as Giro del Trentino and California but he was injured and was ill through some parts of the year.
greenedge said:
You just want CQ points for Frank.
@MOvingtarget; i did not think Morabito went badly last year, he is just too dogged and does not attack enough. However he did place well at the ToC so that is something that he did go well in. I think Cadel would want Moinard ( if only just to help a bit in the mountains ) in defenitly and TJVG and Cummings.

Errr, no. Did you watch Mathias at races such as the 2011 Tour de Suisse or stage 11 of the 2011 Vuelta? There is no doubt he is a very good climber and possibly BMC's top 4 climbers therefore he should be in the team. Quinziato would do a very similar job to Hincapie, Burghardt and Hushovd.

auscyclefan94 said:
Errr, no. Did you watch Mathias at races such as the 2011 Tour de Suisse or stage 11 of the 2011 Vuelta? There is no doubt he is a very good climber and possibly BMC's top 4 climbers therefore he should be in the team. Quinziato would do a very similar job to Hincapie, Burghardt and Hushovd.
Problem is, the rest of the year Frank did virtually nothing. He rode the Giro... did you notice him? It's not like he had a leader to work for.

Still, he rode a remarkable climb on the Triesenberg, that's for sure.