• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BMC 2012 - Dream Team

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
As to the debate on biggest BMC "fanboys", well Evans and Gilbert are David Harmonn's 2 favorite riders, so you might want to get yourself and ES subscription ACF.

I think paying for tv is plain stupid. I am able to access most of what I want without having to pay for a program or channel. You get some families who can't afford basic necessities or who have little money yet they 'need' Pay TV, all the game consoles the IPhone with all the 'gismos'. Sorry for going off topic but I don't see the sense in it

auscyclefan94 said:
I think paying for tv is plain stupid. I am able to access most of what I want without having to pay for a program or channel. You get some families who can't afford basic necessities or who have little money yet they 'need' Pay TV, all the game consoles the IPhone with all the 'gismos'. Sorry for going off topic but I don't see the sense in it

how do you manage to access those that you want for eg cycling?

movingtarget said:
Gilbert has praised Evans in the past re Tour of Lombardy etc for working for him. Evans has said publicly that they are friends as is Thor Hushovd. Gilbert would have known all about Evan's character quirks before he signed for BMC. This is all storm in teacup stuff. BMC will be competitive in all of the classics plus the TDF. They will probably stage hunt in the Giro without a GC rider. They may not be THE dream team but they are better balanced than most teams. If Gilbert gets the yellow jersey early in the TDF, I don't see the team killing themselves to hold on to it. If Gilbert get a stage win plus yellow he will be happy enough with the chance of more stages later in the race. Gilbert knows what his role is at 2012 Tour and with two time trials his chances of a good overall position don't look too good anyway. I am not convinced that Gilbert can or will make the switch to being a GC rider in the future. He is too good at winning classics and stages. Similar situation to Cancellara even if he is a better climber and more versatile.

I agree. Sky should have a bigger problem. Cav requires domestiques, Gilbert and Hushovd do not or barely.

auscyclefan94 said:
So what someone supports a rider? It seems el pisterlero has backed it up with some facts unlike you considering all you do is just sti back on your high chair mocking people who support a rider. It is a forum timmy so having a go at someone for having a favourable opinion about a rider they like is not 'fanboyism'. Don't be so naive.

FYI, BMC are making a phone app for next year.

Funny that you would screw up your metaphor that I'm certain was intended as "high horse" but came out as "high chair" considering the pacifier deprived whining that eminates from you in your "high chair".:D If you're going to correct someone's posts at least make sure that your post doesn't need correcting. :eek:

Ultimately though most of us are fanboys in some way or another be it of a rider, several riders or different teams and defintely of the sport itself. :)

Angliru said:
Funny that you would screw up your metaphor that I'm certain was intended as "high horse" but came out as "high chair" considering the pacifier deprived whining that eminates from you in your "high chair".:D If you're going to correct someone's posts at least make sure that your post doesn't need correcting. :eek:

Ultimately though most of us are fanboys in some way or another be it of a rider, several riders or different teams and defintely of the sport itself. :)
Good points about "fanboyism"... Btw if anyone can be bothered :D
there is a thread abo ut "fanboy" in the cafe. The title is not exactly what i want but the powers that be used it after it was moved from another thread. Sorry for the ot rambling... Just like BMC El pistrol, acf, dwlsonic and sportzchick will be a quite a team in this forum come the new season lol .DREAM TEAM OF CNF?!¿?!¿¿:p

just some guy said:
But BMC will not want the Yellow too early in the race again as in all teams posted Bookwalter and Schär don´t make the cut the 2 blokes who would ride the 1st 150 km on the front.

Can´t see Phiol or Thor doing that.

I said Bookwalter/ Schar as alternatives in my team. Also of course Phil will not do the work in the early part of the race 9 as he will probably have the yellow jersey )

The most all rounded teams other than BMC in my view are Garmin ( though they lack a GC guy who can really contend- unless Hesjedal proves us wrong ), OPQS a great classics team for next year, their sprinters might get a revival ( and Tony Martin is the future winner of the TDF ) SARCASM, RSNT with Cancellara for the Classics, Bennati ( for the few sprints Bruyneel allows him to do ) and GC prospects in practically half the team.

Rabobank now have Renshaw for sprints, Boom/ Breschel for Classics, Mollema, Kruijswijk and Gesink for GT's and LLS/ Barredo for opportunities.
Sky have a great classics team/ GT. I barely have to say they are practically the strongest squad on paper and this was even before signing Cav.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
That would be a first.;)

No doubt that BMC will have a stronger team at the Tour, but it will not have the unilateral goal of last year.
Sure Cadel will have 6 riders at his disposal, but any team with an ounce of sense would use Phil and Thor as plan B, in case Evans has another 2009 moment.
So purely in respect of domestique depth, BMC 2012, will not be as good as 2011.

Obviously, but if he doesn't fail, Phil will mostly work for him. If he does fail then Phil will be free to do what he wants. And since him and Thor are crazy in the descends, we might actually see some funny stuff then.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
..but you do pay your internet provider for internet access, correct? So you're paying to watch it.

Signifcantly less. At least when I watch an online feed I am paying for footage I want in comparison to Pay TV where most of the time I will be paying for something I won't be using and most of the programs are just crap anyway.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Signifcantly less. At least when I watch an online feed I am paying for footage I want in comparison to Pay TV where most of the time I will be paying for something I won't be using and most of the programs are just crap anyway.

I have it merely for the sport. ANd I really don't mind paying the funds for such as I love my soccer and cycling on the big screen in good quality, rather then watching crappy feeds on the pc.

Same goes for having a console, I enjoy using the PS3 when I can (can be difficult to find time I admit) so I hardly see it as a waste of money.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
PCutter said:
A little off topic, but really interesting interview with Rob Arnold the author of Cadel's biography...Cadel comes off like a right c**k

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2011/12/14/2635134/rob-arnold-interview

Certainly is a shame. Cadel probably has become off as a moody little girl at times though the Grenoble incident was probably an accident. Considering how emotional the whole situation was and all the media it was not surprisng that he may of forgotten to acknowledge him. He seems to praise Mcewen a fair bit which I find odd considering how much of a narcissist he is.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Having now ridden with both - Cadel courtesy of a corporate ride a couple of weeks back, and Robbie, courtesy of just riding with the Gold Coast group - I know who I'd rather spend a couple of hours on the bike with. Whilst I don't imagine riding with a bunch of corporates is Cadel's idea of fun, he could at least fake it, they are personal sponsors after all.

Still happy he won the tour, just a bit disappointing with his 'tude.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
PCutter said:
Having now ridden with both - Cadel courtesy of a corporate ride a couple of weeks back, and Robbie, courtesy of just riding with the Gold Coast group - I know who I'd rather spend a couple of hours on the bike with. Whilst I don't imagine riding with a bunch of corporates is Cadel's idea of fun, he could at least fake it, they are personal sponsors after all.

Still happy he won the tour, just a bit disappointing with his 'tude.

In all fairness, Cadel had only spent a couple of days at his home since arriving back in Oz because he was trying to please all his sponsors. You too would have been a little jaded had you been on his schedule.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Pistolero. I want to reach 10 000 posts today so if you could oblige by bringing your usual logic to a few threads today, Im sure together we can reach it.

Well if he continues with some woeful logic you may even catch me. Fyi, you are posting at a faster rate than I am now.:p

auscyclefan94 said:
Well if he continues with some woeful logic you may even catch me. Fyi, you are posting at a faster rate than I am now.:p

For last 400 posts

El Pistolero 18.1 posts a day
ramjambunath 16.7 posts a day
The Hitch 11.1 posts a day
ACF - 8.3 posts a day
Ryo - 7.2
Timmy 7.1
Zam 6.8 (surprisingly) but 9.10 for last 710 posts.
Havetts - around 4.

Of course overall mine is the highest, because during the Giro and Tour I was posting 100 posts a day. Last year during the Tour I did I think 300 posts 1 day.

But your not far behind and youve been here a full year longer than I have, so respect for keeping it so high

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been off the forum for a while, but since when has el pistolero become such a BMC fanboy:D? Comparing how he was in last season its quite funny.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
I have been off the forum for a while, but since when has el pistolero become such a BMC fanboy:D? Comparing how he was in last season its quite funny.

El Pisterlero and Gilbert seem to be a package deal! Don't question it as the more people sticking up for BMC the better.:p

TRENDING THREADS