• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BMC 2012 - Dream Team

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
No clue how you get the feeling Gilbert is a teamplayer lol. :rolleyes: Everything he has done this is season is ride for himself, killing Greipel's chances and VDBs stagewin on Stage 4.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Havetts said:
No clue how you get the feeling Gilbert is a teamplayer lol. :rolleyes: Everything he has done this is season is ride for himself, killing Greipel's chances and VDBs stagewin on Stage 4.

He didn't have to ride for anybody. His win ratio speaks for it self. Next year is different, he said so him self. Gilbert was the only leader this year at Lotto.

And VDB2 wouldn't have won that stage :rolleyes:

At the races Greipel and Gilbert started together they both got their chances:

Algarve: both won a stage
Tour of Belgium: Gilbert won a stage and the GC, Greipel won 2 stages.
Tour de France: both won a stage. Greipel would have never beaten Cavendish if Gilbert didn't tire him out there.
Eneco Tour: Gilbert won a stage and Greipel won 2 stages.
G-W: Gilbert worked for him at the end, Greipel got third.
T-A: Greipel crashed, so wasn't in good shape
M-SR: see T-A

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
radioshack will have to make the race hard and they have the team. the others will defend unless coldeportes is invited :)

What kind of climbers will they have in their team? They won't be invited for the Tour by the way, but the Giro probably will(they said something about selecting foreign teams for wild cards).

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
What kind of climbers will they have in their team? They won't be invited for the Tour by the way, but the Giro probably will(they said something about selecting foreign teams for wild cards).

saur or coldeportes. I wouldn't bet 100% on saur for sure. aso were very unhappy with them

they have duarte, suarez, atapuma, chalapud, javier gonzalez and wilson marentes as highest rated climbers/stage racers I would say

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I'd rather see them in the Giro though with Rujano. South Americans vs Italians. Could become interesting.

I think vuelta colombia is in june next year which would be perfect to do tour after that they would be in great shape I think.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Will Coldeportes be allowed to ride Vuelta Colombia when they are Pro Continental? Or will the riders ride for the domestic teams?

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
He didn't have to ride for anybody. His win ratio speaks for it self. Next year is different, he said so him self. Gilbert was the only leader this year at Lotto.

And VDB2 wouldn't have won that stage :rolleyes:

At the races Greipel and Gilbert started together they both got their chances:

Algarve: both won a stage
Tour of Belgium: Gilbert won a stage and the GC, Greipel won 2 stages.
Tour de France: both won a stage. Greipel would have never beaten Cavendish if Gilbert didn't tire him out there.
Eneco Tour: Gilbert won a stage and Greipel won 2 stages.
G-W: Gilbert worked for him at the end, Greipel got third.
T-A: Greipel crashed, so wasn't in good shape
M-SR: see T-A

And that's the difference - Evans and Phil have had their bust ups with Phil bad mouthing Evans at FW the year Kim won. But after Evans won the WC he set Phil up on a winning streak that has not stopped - Phil knows this and will want help in the classics and will pay it back at the Tour.

auscyclefan94 said:
Firstly, Pinotti will be a domestique but he has proven in the past that he can ride for his own goals as well. Pinotti is not doing the Tour. Secondly, Tejay is doing the Tour and has said that he has no interest in the Vuelta. All those guys rode the classics or rode hard for results during the season this year and were perfectly good domestiques in July. Your points do not hold up at all.

I never said Pinotti would do the Tour & I stated those two are available to do Giro & Vuelta-doesn't matter if TVG decides not to go to Spain afterwards.
on topic: you're missing the point here-because those new riders had different circumstances in their former teams-right now they have to deal with 3 leaders with different demands & each one defending their own individual interests-so for you to say they've done this before is false. the reason I'm questioning the strength of the team is because of what is going to be available to Evans at the Tour-which BTW worries me in a good way since I think he(Cadel) has a good chance in 2012-but you keep saying they'll be cool by July-and that's naive-look once more at the names I highlighted in red & you realized those guys have already had a tough season between the classics & the other races prior to July.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I never said Pinotti would do the Tour & I stated those two are available to do Giro & Vuelta-doesn't matter if TVG decides not to go to Spain afterwards.
on topic: you're missing the point here-because those new riders had different circumstances in their former teams-right now they have to deal with 3 leaders with different demands & each one looking for their own individual interests-so for you to say they've done this before is false. the reason I'm questioning the strength of the team is because of what is going to be available to Evans at the Tour-which BTW worries me in a good way since I think he(Cadel) has a good chance in 2012-but you keep saying they'll be cool by July-and that's naive-look once more at the names I highlighted in red & you realized those guys have already had a tough season between the classics & the other races prior to July.

That's because not everything is about the Tour ;) Not every team is like Radiotard. That's what you're basically asking for: 17 clones of the most boring WT team.

I wouldn't underestimate Gilbert as a domestique at the Tour.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Someone please tell me how Thor and Cadel's interests clash at the Tour? Any stages that Thor targets will be unimportant with regards to GC.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
Someone please tell me how Thor and Cadel's interests clash at the Tour? Any stages that Thor targets will be unimportant with regards to GC.

Apparently they think BMC will chase the breakaway on flat stages and give Thor a leadout. :rolleyes:

He'll just do his thing like Freire in the harder finishes of the Tour and go in a break sometimes(which doesn't harm Cadel Evans).

will10 said:

Exactly. I do not see how Thor winning stages in breakaways or in hard finishes would harm Evans because Thor is getting the win on his own. Thor could also be a great domestique on the flat. The only domestique that he might take away is Gilbert who might decide to lead him out or something on a stage. (They are good friends.)

Gilbert will aim for the first stage and if he is as good as 2011 then he will take that one with ease. Afterwards he will be happy with working for Evans. Even if he does not win that stage and he might go stage hunting then he will still be doing that on his own, perhaps in an uphill sprint or something. I also think that Gilbert might just be one of the very best domestiques on hilly terrain that there is.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
1) He was never going to win that stage
2) He made a mistake and already admitted that quite some time ago
3) VDB2 never said what he was planning to do. Gilbert thought he was leading him out.
4) Some people actually learn from their mistakes. Phil is one of them.

lol, go pray to your gilbert shrine already. Giving acf a run for his money in fanby blindness.

and lol @ the GVA comparison. Obviously different situations.
One has direct ambition in Gilbert's field (classics etc) whereas Evans is going for GC. Gilbert isn't gonna come out and be like "hai, screw evans I'm racing for myself". Your posts are niave.

will10 said:

tell that to evans, he is the one that wants the whole team for himself at the tour.

Not to mention the most decisive stages this tour basically came frim such stages... t'was a crash fest.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Seems like that's the only way you discuss things here is by calling people who don't agree with you a fanboy.

well I did start the argument like that yes, but I clearly wasn't wrong. ;)

Yet I still managed to elaborate.