• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BMC 2012 - Dream Team

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
lol, go pray to your gilbert shrine already. Giving acf a run for his money in fanby blindness.

and lol @ the GVA comparison. Obviously different situations.
One has direct ambition in Gilbert's field (classics etc) whereas Evans is going for GC. Gilbert isn't gonna come out and be like "hai, screw evans I'm racing for myself". Your posts are niave.

So what someone supports a rider? It seems el pisterlero has backed it up with some facts unlike you considering all you do is just sti back on your high chair mocking people who support a rider. It is a forum timmy so having a go at someone for having a favourable opinion about a rider they like is not 'fanboyism'. Don't be so naive.

FYI, BMC are making a phone app for next year.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
tell that to evans, he is the one that wants the whole team for himself at the tour.

Not to mention the most decisive stages this tour basically came frim such stages... t'was a crash fest.

You are right, stage 16/17 consigned Andy/ Voeckler to losing the race.

And Thor could help Evans on descents like that.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
@el pickle, go re-read your posts.
ANd how am I meant to elaborate on your post I quoted. You used personal attributes "gilbert is the type of guy who learns from his mistake". How the hell would you know. Baselless speculation on a personal attribute, silly argument, thus I called you a fanboy. You talk like you're his therapist not a spectator.

auscyclefan94 said:
So what someone supports a rider? It seems el pisterlero has backed it up with some facts unlike you considering all you do is just sti back on your high chair mocking people who support a rider. It is a forum timmy so having a go at someone for having a favourable opinion about a rider they like is not 'fanboyism'. Don't be so naive.

FYI, BMC are making a phone app for next year.

No, I have constantly agreed that BMC are a improving team, and a very good team now. But they are far from the Dream team which this thread might suggest. I don't disagree they have better support then previous years, but for the amount of 'leaders' and 'big names' they have, I disagree there is enough support for the season on a whole.

You're arguments are "Oh they will have a great sqaud at tour, pr and flanders etc. Stupid argument. Cycling is a season full sport, the best teams have best teams all year round and if a leader targets a race they can always have good support. They will still have a great season no doubt and even if the support isn't always there it is still good to have big names. My point was they are still unbalanced, but you two chumps refuse to take any critiscm on BMC, just or not.

I wasn't even bad mouthing BMC much, just pointing out they are still a little unbalanced and no dream team. The defense of such arguments defined this discussion.

As for gilbert being a domestique, I'm clearly delusional for thinking otherwise. :rolleyes:

And I agree this is a forum, people can love on a rider if they want. But if you're are gonna make posts regarding the riders constantly there is gonna be discussion, and just like you have the freedom to love on a rider, i don't see why I can't ridicule you for such :D And hohoho I misspelled. You really must be a genius for pointing that out, now I'm just awaitng your first decent contribution after 15000 duds.

El Pistolero said:
I'd rather see them in the Giro though with Rujano. South Americans vs Italians. Could become interesting.

I think all of us want that. After a long period of time ( it seems like years ) of Ryo/ Ryaguas saying how talented the Colombians are we finally get a team which is a PC team/ that seems secure.
Their hyping has got us all excited.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
@el pickle, go re-read your posts.
ANd how am I meant to elaborate on your post I quoted. You used personal attributes "gilbert is the type of guy who learns from his mistake". How the hell would you know. Baselless speculation on a personal attribute, silly argument, thus I called you a fanboy. You talk like you're his therapist not a spectator.

I'm basing it of his racing style which has changed. He used to peak too early. Now he has perfected his peaking. He used to waste too much energy in races with too many attacks. Now he only puts in one big attack to win a race.

No doubt he'll have learned from his Lombardia mistake this year and come back next year better prepared.

I don't need to re-read my posts. I know what post you're talking about and it wasn't a comparison.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
You're arguments are "Oh they will have a great sqaud at tour, pr and flanders etc. Stupid argument. Cycling is a season full sport, the best teams have best teams all year round and if a leader targets a race they can always have good support. They will still have a great season no doubt and even if the support isn't always there it is still good to have big names. My point was they are still unbalanced, but you two chumps refuse to take any critiscm on BMC, just or not.

I wasn't even bad mouthing BMC much, just pointing out they are still a little unbalanced and no dream team. The defense of such arguments defined this discussion.

As for gilbert being a domestique, I'm clearly delusional for thinking otherwise. :rolleyes:

And I agree this is a forum, people can love on a rider if they want. But if you're are gonna make posts regarding the riders constantly there is gonna be discussion, and just like you have the freedom to love on a rider, i don't see why I can't ridicule you for such :D And hohoho I misspelled. You really must be a genius for pointing that out, now I'm just awaitng your first decent contribution after 15000 duds.

Tell me which teams can do that.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I'm basing it of his racing style which has changed. He used to peak too early. Now he has perfected his peaking. He used to waste too much energy in races with too many attacks. Now he only puts in one big attack to win a race.

No doubt he'll have learned from his Lombardia mistake this year and come back next year better prepared.

I don't need to re-read my posts. I know what post you're talking about and it wasn't a comparison.

Well that's fair, but at least you understand why I might think you a fanboy :p

As for the comparison

"Phil has said several times already that he will be a domestique. Phil is the guy that in interviews never lies about whether he'll be a domestique or leader. Just look at how he burned off GVA already. If he wasn't planning on being a domestique at the Tour he would just say so. "

suggesting because he burned off GVA, he doesn't lie etc. But of course hw would burn off GVA, as he has no reason to even consider working for GVA or letting him ride for himself.

Whereas at the tour it isn't the case, evans is the priority. Thus he can't really come out and be like "screw it, I'm not racing for evans" etc. So the example provided really doesn't relate. I don't think it would shock many if Gilbert had his fair share of personal ambition at the tour.

@el pickle, please. surely you can recognise there are teams with more balanced sqaud and quality helpers. Again they will probably fail compared to BMC in regards to results anyway, because gilbert and evans are superstars.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Well that's fair, but at least you understand why I might think you a fanboy :p

As for the comparison

"Phil has said several times already that he will be a domestique. Phil is the guy that in interviews never lies about whether he'll be a domestique or leader. Just look at how he burned off GVA already. If he wasn't planning on being a domestique at the Tour he would just say so. "

suggesting because he burned off GVA, he doesn't lie etc. But of course hw would burn off GVA, as he has no reason to even consider working for GVA or letting him ride for himself.

Whereas at the tour it isn't the case, evans is the priority. Thus he can't really come out and be like "screw it, I'm not racing for evans" etc. So the example provided really doesn't relate. I don't think it would shock many if Gilbert had his fair share of personal ambition at the tour.

@el pickle, please. surely you can recognise there are teams with more balanced sqaud and quality helpers. Again they will probably fail compared to BMC in regards to results anyway, because gilbert and evans are superstars.

Definitely, there are certainly better balanced teams out there, I still want their names though. BUT, and this is my point, there are also a lot of WT teams who are less balanced than BMC.

As for my "comparison": Phil has actually already bad mouthed Cadel Evans before after La Flèche Wallone in 2009, so I don't think he's lying now when he says he really wants to work for CE. Otherwise he'd just tell Evans to go **** him self.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Well I doubt Phil would be so stupid to do so at a new team, again that proves nothing. Baseless speculation.

AND don't forget.. Phil is the type of guy whom learns from his mistakes ;)

I don't disagree. But i don't see a "AG2r 2012 - Dream Team" thread anywhere ;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Well I doubt Phil would be so stupid to do so at a new team, again that proves nothing. Baseless speculation.

AND don't forget.. Phil is the type of guy whom learns from his mistakes ;)

I don't disagree. But i don't see a "AG2r 2012 - Dream Team" thread anywhere ;)

Lotto was a new team for him in 2009 ;)

Gilbert says what he thinks in interviews. And sometimes that puts people off. Who says criticizing Evans is/was a mistake?

I'm sure that if AG2R signed Thor Hushovd, Cadel Evans, Gilbert, GVA, Pinotti, Ballan and Hincapie that someone would make a thread about them having a super team. Besides, I'm not calling them a dream team.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
I see. Still I'd back an Evans below 100% over Gilbert in 2009 in Fleche so I don't really see the point in complaining.

Gilbert wasn't asking for leadership there mind you.

He was complaining about having to work for Evans because he always changed his opinion about how his legs were before, during and after a race. But the problem was already solved before the start of LBL that year. So that shows they can handle each other.

auscyclefan94 said:

I agree with you, but you are pretty quick to drop the fanbomb yourself whenever you percieve someone to be hating on Cadel.

As to the debate on biggest BMC "fanboys", well Evans and Gilbert are David Harmonn's 2 favorite riders, so you might want to get yourself and ES subscription ACF.
Come to think about it, Katusha are possibly the most well rounded team.

You got Purito Brown for hilly classics, maybe Ignatiev, and possibly Kolobnev. You got Galimzinov for sprints, Purito and Moreno for Giro and Vuelta, Ignatiev for tts and pointless breaks, and Menchov for Tour

auscyclefan94 said:

I agree with you, but you are pretty quick to drop the fanbomb yourself whenever you percieve someone to be hating on Cadel.

As to the debate on biggest BMC "fanboys", well Evans and Gilbert are David Harmonn's 2 favorite riders, so you might want to get yourself and ES subscription ACF.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

Espescially since if he stays at BMC after Evans retires he shall be leader.

Also Gilbert has other goals like the Ardennes, M-SR/ RVV/ WC. He has already been acknowledged as the best cyclist for this year, what does he stand to gain by fighting in his new team, when a GC win for Evans ( a previous teammate of his, who will work for him ) will help him. It's not as if Gilbert can win the TDF so just going stage hunting is good enough for him at the TDF ( along with helping Evans )

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You got Purito Brown for hilly classics, maybe Ignatiev, and possibly Kolobnev. You got Galimzinov for sprints, Purito and Moreno for Giro and Vuelta, Ignatiev for tts and pointless breaks, and Menchov for Tour

I could probably make a similar list for many teams.

Katusha have a pretty good list tho, they just under perform big time.

El Pistolero said:
I rest my case ;)

That would be a first.;)

No doubt that BMC will have a stronger team at the Tour, but it will not have the unilateral goal of last year.
Sure Cadel will have 6 riders at his disposal, but any team with an ounce of sense would use Phil and Thor as plan B, in case Evans has another 2009 moment.
So purely in respect of domestique depth, BMC 2012, will not be as good as 2011.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
That would be a first.;)

No doubt that BMC will have a stronger team at the Tour, but it will not have the unilateral goal of last year.
Sure Cadel will have 6 riders at his disposal, but any team with an ounce of sense would use Phil and Thor as plan B, in case Evans has another 2009 moment.
So purely in respect of domestique depth, BMC 2012, will not be as good as 2011.

Unless Ego is put aside by Thor and Phil

ie Thor wins P-R or gets put in a position to win, Phil gets what he wants during classic season.

In the open it is stated and put into action all for Evans plan A

Evans misses the boat -plan B game on

But BMC will not want the Yellow too early in the race again as in all teams posted Bookwalter and Schär don´t make the cut the 2 blokes who would ride the 1st 150 km on the front.

Can´t see Phiol or Thor doing that.

Gilbert has praised Evans in the past re Tour of Lombardy etc for working for him. Evans has said publicly that they are friends as is Thor Hushovd. Gilbert would have known all about Evan's character quirks before he signed for BMC. This is all storm in teacup stuff. BMC will be competitive in all of the classics plus the TDF. They will probably stage hunt in the Giro without a GC rider. They may not be THE dream team but they are better balanced than most teams. If Gilbert gets the yellow jersey early in the TDF, I don't see the team killing themselves to hold on to it. If Gilbert get a stage win plus yellow he will be happy enough with the chance of more stages later in the race. Gilbert knows what his role is at 2012 Tour and with two time trials his chances of a good overall position don't look too good anyway. I am not convinced that Gilbert can or will make the switch to being a GC rider in the future. He is too good at winning classics and stages. Similar situation to Cancellara even if he is a better climber and more versatile.

TRENDING THREADS