• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BMC bikes?

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
It appears no one on BMC is yet riding the new SLR01, though the frames are already widely available to the public. Evans and others are on the SLC01, now several years old, and Hincapie on the Racemaster, the new design, but alloy carbon mix. Are the new SLRs so flexy the team need custom builds? Hard to imagine.
Any news?

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I have a friend who rode for a European based BMC team, and he managed to snap his BMC at the chain stay. Now I don't know exactly which frame he was riding, but he said it was a noodle. I personally think the bikes look really cool, but if what my friend said is true you wont catch me on one anytime soon.

Feldy82 said:
I have a friend who rode for a European based BMC team, and he managed to snap his BMC at the chain stay. Now I don't know exactly which frame he was riding, but he said it was a noodle. I personally think the bikes look really cool, but if what my friend said is true you wont catch me on one anytime soon.

The power of sponsorship dollars(Euros, Yen, Huang, etc)....

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
My Pro Machine is very snappy. Makes sense for a GC rider to be on it and the sprinters to be on the Racemaster which is a little bit stiffer.

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
xnobrakesx said:
My Pro Machine is very snappy. Makes sense for a GC rider to be on it and the sprinters to be on the Racemaster which is a little bit stiffer.

Regular use of the SLC01 by Phonak and previous BMC teams would suggest it was fine, but the new SLR is the updated, top of the line, as they say, yet no pros ride it? At $3500 US retail for the frame, I'd like to see it perform before I thought of a purchase. The whole situation seems messy since one of the owners of BMC (Andy Rhis) is heavily involved with Cadel and George's team.
On another note, we accept that bikes for decades have been custom made or rebadged. Does this still occur with the big names, particularly Merckx? The description of EM bikes on WrenchScience.com this year basically tags them as second-tier Pinarellos. I know Merckx sold the company, but second-tier?
Final question: is the bike, in the final analysis, a meager point? Is a fantastic rider on my 2001 20lb. alloy frame with Mavic Open Pros competitive with a similar rider on a Cervelo R3, Pinarello Prince Carbon, or similar?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
All the reviews I've read, including the latest issue of Ride mark the SLR01 as exceptional.
At 935g for the frameset would make a great climbing bike.

It'll be this vs a Time VRXS for the next bike.

unsheath said:
All the reviews I've read, including the latest issue of Ride mark the SLR01 as exceptional.

The VXRS is on an entirely different plane. There is no comparison between any of these bikes and Time. If you choose a BMC over a Time for anything other than cost reasons, I would be surprised. First of all, Time has a lifetime warranty. You should be aware though, they don't make the VXRS anymore.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:

WHAT..........?????? There is no choice to make then.

BMC = Bikes Made of Crap.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
4964771144_a27d6d2cbb_b.jpg

2010 STEAMBOAT SPRINGS STAGE RACE Steamboat Springs, CO Stage 2 - Moots Road Race 5/9 -> http://bikesteamboat.com/index.html

Jennie Longo in yesterday's race on BMC :cool:

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Impec

drb716 said:
It appears no one on BMC is yet riding the new SLR01, though the frames are already widely available to the public. Evans and others are on the SLC01, now several years old, and Hincapie on the Racemaster, the new design, but alloy carbon mix. Are the new SLRs so flexy the team need custom builds? Hard to imagine.
Any news?

Hasn't the SLR01 been replaced already.I'm sure Cadel rode the new BMC Impec during the tour.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Ooops

Michele said:
If you check the date of the post you did quote, you will notice it's quiet old and far before the Tour.

I hadn't noticed.He didn't get much response did he.He has probably stopped checking this thread by now.It is interesting that the SLR01 had such a short lifespan

TRENDING THREADS