• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

BMC Soigneur caught with 195 does of EPO

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
sniper said:
+1
You would never expect any fulltime staffmember to take these risks.
Those running the team program will always make sure that somebody who's NOT directly connected to the team facilitates the drugsupplies.
That's why they're called "middlemen", I guess.
And yet they keep hiring the same crooked people. You would think they'll do a better job with the handling of this side of the business.

Race Radio said:
No excuses for BMC.

Och hired Freddy Viaene as BMC's Head Soigneur. Everyone in the sport knows his history, personal Soigneur for Lance then Floyd. Anyone surprised Freddie hired a dealer? Of course not.

The "I do not know" excuse is a bunch of BS. In this day teams HAVE to know who is on their staff. Their supposed lack of knowledge shows they do not care

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Not microdosing.

I see it has been responded already.

It is use to cover up when you infuse blood into your system. Your body sends the signal to stop (or reduce) producing red blood cells because you already have outside help (blood bags) so the Retics go down, and that can ring the bells of the bio-passport. That's why they use EPO micro doses, to stimulate the Retics with infusion of blood.

This has been explained by Landis and Michael Ashenden.

But the amounts reported here were kind of large so we can conclude:

1- He had a side business with amateurs where testing is easier to pass.
2- A portion of that amount is still for the BMC team for microdosing.3- A portion if not all could be for more than one team in the pro-peloton. If it is used throughout the year you might need quite a bit.
4- Endless applications in sports.

Note for starters: Definition of Retics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reticulocyte

Add another conclusion: Cadel would not have been dim enough to use a common source for PEDs and not likely involved. He should be absolutely pi*sed that someone related to the team was vending to the general public which could lead to this kind of publicity explosion.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
Add another conclusion: Cadel would not have been dim enough to use a common source for PEDs and not likely involved. He should be absolutely pi*sed that someone related to the team was vending to the general public which could lead to this kind of publicity explosion.
Cadel's manager is Rominger, as if he cant get sourced

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Logic-is-your-friend said:
If this is the case, if there was indeed this organized network already working and testing... why on earth ordering it on a legitimate online shop to be delivered where you know chances are it will be flagged by customs? I'm sure other options would have been available and a lot less risky.

Perhaps, but we don't know how smart/stupid these guys are.

Some dope traffickers are smart/sophisticated
Schoutetet (sp?) / is a dope trafficker
-----
That does not mean he is necessarily smart

In addition,

Some Belgians (amongst others you?) know Belgian customs inspects 50% of imported goods
Vansevenant is Belgian
-------------
That does not mean Vansevenant knew about the high rate of interception

Who knows what they thought, and what they thought they could get away with. Perhaps they didn't think of other options, perhaps they thought these methods were very low risk options.

Sure, but if he didn't know, that indicates this was not a long lasting operation, or else he would have been caught sooner. That was also part of my point. Would they really try this stuff out for one of the first times, ordering it two weeks before the tour starts?

And obviously, i have no statistics of the customs interceptions. I was talking from personal experience. But when you order over 10 packages that pass through customs worth more than 100 euro, and all of them get checked and you get billed for import taxes on all of them, i would argue that you do not want to take the chance of importing this kind of stuff.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Maybe he was lulled into complacency by getting previous packages from Aus with no trouble, it's not like it's coming from China or Uzbekistan...

A few cycles of getting packs without a problem may lead an importer to think that his imports are under the radar.

Perhaps Belgian customs aren't as robotic in their application as we think. Could have 'honey-potted' him.

Just saying...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:

He has been dumb enough to join Och and Rihs some of the dirtiest boys in cycling. Ask Tyler and Landis!

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
He has been dumb enough to join Och and Rihs some of the dirtiest boys in cycling. Ask Tyler and Landis!

To be fair, I'd have a hard time ranking top cycling management on cleanliness (though these are certainly dirty).

Almost every team has it's really dark edges. And those that haven't are perhaps simply not caught.

I'd love to believe in a team like Garmin, but geez... let's say they have/had some riders there who raised my eyebrows in the TdF.

I guess I could rank them on being blatant about it and those who are somewhat circumspect. Gianetti and Och will be close to leading such a list :(

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

Valid point except Cadel has managed a profitable career in mbx and on several teams. He can separate the cash flow from the expenses and maintain a reliable and secure source. Being part of a "team" would not include participation in a domestique doping program in that business model. If you've watched his racing the one conclusion you could draw is that he's maximized his market value.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Cuddles from Dertie from Vino. What a wonderful era of clean, drug free racing we are in. Great to see the biopassport has put the chargers on the backfoot allowing the clean riders to come to the fore.

yup well all we need is someone from Garmin to have the errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr well I guess that sayzzzzz it all. stuck key board again there .ylon.

roundabout said:
On one hand it is the most consistent Tour, hell Grand Tour that I've seen Cadel do. On the other I'd like to think that it was one of the more clean ones in recent years.
To finish on par with a fresher/rested Panzerwagen, beating your own time by more than a minute from the Dauphine after expending the most energy this week after Schleck... It's just too much.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
frenchfry said:
John Lelangue encouraging Evans from the team car. Last time we saw him with a rider taking the yellow jersey on the last ITT he was following Landis.

Maybe Floyd would like to comment.
retweet
tweet

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Wallace said:
I'll say it here: Cadel Evans, first clean Tour de France winner since Greg LeMond.
yeah. But Wallace. When you say it here, there is no podcast. You actually wrote it. And you spoke into vacuum.

Cadel's new cleft jaw in his cleft jaw, did not take any good productive advantage of the hgh he was mainlining last summer.

TRENDING THREADS