• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bob Jungels Discussion Thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, QS will still likely have a better overall classics roster but GVA-Jungels-Naesen matches up pretty well vs. Asgreen-Stybar-Lampaert.

I would say Ag2r "big three" is better than QuickStep and maybe the classics group as a whole If Dillier is staying.

GVA - Stybar
Naesen - Asgreen
Jungels - Lampaert
Dillier - Senechal
Schär - DeClercq
Van Hoecke - Keisse

And then it's Dewulf, L.Naesen, Gougeard vs Van Lerberghe, Steels. I'm curious if QS will send Cavagna next year to classics. He could inmediately become Jungels replacement in the cobbles squad.

Reactions: TMP402
I think Jungels is going to be a big loss for QS in more than just his own racing ability. In the QS behind the scenes videos of this year's races, after the DS speaks on the team bus about the day's race to come, it's always Jungels speaking up to reiterate the important parts and add his own observations and encouragement. No matter whether a classic, a sprint stage or a mountain stage, when he speaks, a bigger star like Alaphilippe listens to him, and a more experienced guy like Styby listens to him.

Interesting to read the previous page regarding Jungels targeting the Giro where people were rightly sceptical... he finished 33rd...

Problem with the route is that Jungels is not a top 10 climber in this Giro field on any Cat 1 climb and the Giro has basically 4 of the 4 hardest mountain stages this year. I don't see any point of Jungels riding the Giro. He is a solid contender for LBL or he could be pivotal in helping Alaphilippe winning it, thus returning the favor of last year.

...and the Tour of Lombardy... he finished 52nd...

No way Ala would be the biggest favorite.
You will usually find in any given year 2 or 3 strong climbers for the win. That year was Nibali, last year was Pinot. 2 years ago we had Chaves, Urán and Rosa. Any climber or group of Climbers with Ala in the group will try very hard to drop him before the finish.

Tough 2 years but this was one of his sweetest victories.

Yeah… To be honest, there have been times in recent years, when I seriously thought that he would never again win a pro bike race, and that he would end his career as a pro cyclist in nearest future.

His leg health problems were so difficult, and there was hardly any hope. He had to live with so much uncertainty. No one dared to guarantee him that he would be back at his best, ever.

Today, he confirmed that he is back at his best. Congratulations! - This is a victory for him, and for all his entourage, who obviously never completely lost hope. This is a nice story… :)

Jul 6, 2022
Visit site
Congratulations, Bob Jungels! Amazing 62km-solo, the first TdF stage win in career.

Very encouraging endeavor.

The victory will really stick with me..bold style..alone uphill and down. guy really went deep and held off the best..great win..plus like the best right now..he can climb and TT..super talent returns
Are we ready to anoint him as The New Remco?

In any case, what a gutsy ride. Held off the best? I agree but I'm biased :). After his LBL win, that one is the best, he can show the tape to his grand-children and they will know how great a rider the old guy was.

The victory will really stick with me..bold style..alone uphill and down. guy really went deep and held off the best..great win..plus like the best right now..he can climb and TT..super talent returns
It was especially impressive because the peloton was not far behind when he attacked. It wasn't like he escaped from a group who had an 8+ minute lead and barely managed to stay out in front. I rate this win very highly and honestly didn't expect it from him at this point.

Reactions: Sandisfan