• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bobby Julich leaving Team Saxobank/Sungaard

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Bobby Julich leaving Team Saxobank/Sungard

Today it´s news in Denmark that Bobby did not get his contract prolonged, an interview with Bjarne Riis to danish newspaper BT tells that he is not needed as a talent scout longer and his job being split between new and old DS.

Link in danish : http://feltet.dk/index.php?id_parent=262&id=276&id_nyhed=28528

http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/riis-fyrer-tour-treer

Google translate :

Bobby Julich would have put the line for Team Saxo Bank's development.

In a time where both riders and sports directors seeks new challenges, leaving Riis with a resounding vacuum, the head himself placed the knife against one of its most experienced heads.

The former top rider Bobby Julich, who bore the honorable title Talent Development Manager, has not had extended his contract with Riis.

- I would not work for Riis Cycling A / S for next year but I am sure that I get to use my knowledge in the sport, says the Julich in response to a request for an interview.

Sporten.dk would like to have asked the 38-year-old American on the challenges, Team Saxo Bank are facing after the mass exodus of strong, experienced and high profile names like brothers Schleck, Fabian Cancellara, Jens Voigt, Stuart O'Grady, Matti Breschel and Jacob Fuglsang.

In connection with the Swiss superstar Fabian Cancellara turbulent exit recently struck Bjarne Riis stated that the team the next year, will rely on themselves to develop talent and shaping tomorrow's stars. Now Team Saxo Bank that is without the man whose job title could seriously get the team for good in the coming season and beyond.

- We have decided to delegate the task out to others in the organization, says Bjarne Riis to sporten.dk and proves that Bobby Julich is no longer on the payroll.

This has Riis also had to cloak ties with a personality that in its asset which was one of the field's most articulate voices, but also had the legs themselves to deliver great results.

In his year for Team CSC, Bobby Julich managed so well to help Ivan Basso win the Giro d'Italia in 2006 and creating some of its best results after some slack seasons with German T-Mobile.

- It was hard, but those are the conditions, says Riis in a comment to parting with a rider, he even managed to compete against the Tour de France 1998, Julich rode an almost sensational third place in the house.

Riis will not unveil its organizational backing for next year. It is certain however that is thinned good in rows with Riis, who before the start of the Tour de France threw its leading sports director Kim Andersen on the gate because he was about to build a team around brothers Andy and Frank Schleck and in the last year have said goodbye to team builder BS Christiansen and communications manager Brian Nygaard.

Thats all for now :)

Sorry for my english you know not native language ;-)

Riis must have money problems and is shrinking his team. He is doing the classic restructuring of eliminating specialization and enlarging the responsibilities of core members who cannot be eliminated.

He probably started the year trying to get sponsorship equal to this year's level. When that was proving difficult, he set his sights lower. Some of the riders who are moving to the Team Schleck were likely given a shove by Riis, who knew that he would not be able to afford them.

It looks like the team will be built solely around Contador and the TdF. This probably lowers the chances of Contador competing in a second GT.

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I do not think the mony is the problem when talking Bobby J , Think that Bjarne Riis is building a completly new setup where Bobby just is not needed even if he has a lot of experience.

Bjarne R have told the danish press that new DS´s are comming to the team and good ones , probaly the reason Bobby´s contract is stopping from new year , but he`s private connection to Jens V have a litle to say also considering that Bobby allready have a new job at the Lux team one phone call away.

All in all i think the next years pro tour will be very exiting , many new shirts and extremely amounts of riders changing teams (damm have to concentrate in the first month or two in the up comming season).

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i think julich's exit has to do with the arrival of pepe marti who's been working with berto and moving with him. you don't need two guys doing the same thing.

i doubt money was the main reason as even the best dss still make barely over 100 000 euros - a pittance compared to a good rider on a protour team.

python said:
i think julich's exit has to do with the arrival of pepe marti who's been working with berto and moving with him. you don't need two guys doing the same thing.

i doubt money was the main reason as even the best dss still make barely over 100 000 euros - a pittance compared to a good rider on a protour team.

Really? Beppe's come over with Alberto. Strange because the Italian manager said that between the two this year their relationship was professional, but that there was never any real warmth developed between them. According to Martineli, Alberto prefered to stay a bit cold and detached with the Italian.

rhubroma said:
Really? Beppe's come over with Alberto. Strange because the Italian manager said that between the two this year their relationship was professional, but that there was never any real warmth developed between them. According to Martineli, Alberto prefered to stay a bit cold and detached with the Italian.

Not Martinelli. "Pepe the trainer" Marti.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
could you be confusing pepe marti with martinelli ?

indeed martinelli said what you quoted. but that's not the case with pepe - who's been berto's personal trainer (if not more ;)) and ALWAYS stayed in the background.

pepe is the guy most responsible for berto's improvements in itts (according to eki)

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
python said:

Think you hit it spot on... :)

Some think that the team is out of future from next season , in my eys the next season will be a transfer to bigger goals then the cobblestone races only future can tell.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Am I alone in wondering why SB/S hasn't hired a lot of new people (both riders and staff). When their new sponsorship deals were announced it was said that they'd be of such a size that they could continue 'at the same level'.
Now with Spartacus having seemingly bought his way out (not cheap) they should be pretty flush with spare cash, no? Or am I missing something?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
python said:

indeed martinelli said what you quoted. but that's not the case with pepe - who's been berto's personal trainer (if not more ;)) and ALWAYS stayed in the background.

pepe is the guy most responsible for berto's improvements in itts (according to eki)

I think that post is about as close as you will get towards being in the Clinic, and not being there.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
bobby is an easy guy to like. seems like the right balance of brains, talent and character...he can be outspoken too. if memory serves, wasn't it him who blasted hamilton's olympic gold :confused: but not his own tour's podium ;)

plenty of new teams should be happy to pick him up.

python said:

Yep, got the two confused. Thanks.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
More bad news for SaxoBank. Frank Høj will stop alltogether after this season acording to danish tv2. He should have helped in the classics but now he will stop. Apperntly he couldn't agree with Riis on a new contract, that is one of the reasons. I find that odd: Riis needs him and has mentioned him as a part of the team for the classics for some time ago and he is not one of those who will blow the budget.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Good I want to see saxo and Bjarne Tank. + I want to see Contador face some other challanges. As a rider he is too dominating, more challanges for Berto= more competitve cycling for the fans.

Ruxen1989 said:
More bad news for SaxoBank. Frank Høj will stop alltogether after this season acording to danish tv2. He should have helped in the classics but now he will stop. Apperntly he couldn't agree with Riis on a new contract, that is one of the reasons. I find that odd: Riis needs him and has mentioned him as a part of the team for the classics for some time ago and he is not one of those who will blow the budget.

Frank Hoj has been dead wood for a while now - he'll be no great loss to the team.

Julich was looking at new talent and with the team getting riders such as Richie Porte he was obviously pretty good at what he did.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
btw, apart from Riis, Saxo as sponsor and Specialized is bike provider... will there be anyobdy left?

I think also for Specialized, recent developments are not pretty welcome from the commercial side. The first season for quite some time that they will not have any decent classique contender, which together with the Tour have always been important for sales. I only know here in Switzerland (my dealer told me), that tarmac and roubaix sales have gone nuts this year after Cancellara's wins (ok, Switzerland is a small market, I agree).

d9Qms6

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
bobbins said:
Frank Hoj has been dead wood for a while now - he'll be no great loss to the team.

Julich was looking at new talent and with the team getting riders such as Richie Porte he was obviously pretty good at what he did.

Maybe he has been dead wood but he had exsperience and with the changes that is happening now that could have been good. And then he is rider nr. 9 (possibly 12 if all rumours are true) to go to the exit, plus Kim Andersen, Bobby Julich and others. Big changes here, SaxoBank will be more new than Schlux.

Agree with you on Julich. He also worked hard with the Schleck brothers to get better on TT this year and Andy did better than anyone expected in the tour.
If Voigt goes to Schlux then I will be really suprised if not Julich goes there too.

A

Anonymous

The farther along the year goes the more bitter Riis seems to get. Anyone with ties to the recently "disgruntled departed" seems to be shunned and dropped, with Bobby J being the latest victim. I really think it's a big loss for Riis but will open new doors for Bobby.

I met him a couple times at the ToC and of the staff working for Saxo he was always the only one that was approachable and friendly with fans, other teams, product reps, etc.

I guess despite the rosy front of the past there was a lot of strife within the team that built up to the point that the major players on the team had enough and decided to part ways. Maybe it's Karma on Riis for his doping past?

TRENDING THREADS