• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bobridge - ugh...

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the delgados said:
Yet another example of why pro riders need to form a union.
There should be a structure in place that not only serves the needs of active riders, but those who have left the sport.
I'm not going to come down on someone who sells/uses drugs. Pretty much everyone uses drugs of some kind, and I hate that people like Bobridge are seen as an outcast. Nothing wrong with using the droogs.
All best to Bobridge.
Please. its not like after cycling you get dropped in the favellas of Brazil.
I have no issue with your views on drugs however there are rules in place and Bobridge chose to ignore it even though he is father of a little kid. Fine by me, but dont start crying about there should be a structure in place for former riders when you get caught.

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Craigee said:
Agree with your post spalco. My son is making a living as a pro bike rider (Track) and I have no fears that he'll end up selling drugs for a living when he retires from cycling. Plenty of perfectly legal jobs he can take up later like the things you've listed here.

Professional track rider? Do you mean state sponsored?

Re: Re:

spalco said:
Irondan said:
Just goes to show that these guys waste some of the best years of their lives chasing after a dream that doesn't pay off for most of them. They have nothing to fall back on because the vast majority don't attend university and they have no trade that they were taught other than cycling. Some of them are bound to take the easy way to earn a few bucks...

I'm not buying that.
Even without a degree or a trade, at the very least Bobridge had 15-20 years time to learn bike tech and maintenance from the best in the business if he wanted to.

You can't tell me he couldn't have opened a bike shop in Adelaide or even just put his name on someone else's shop without working much and still make a decent living.

Or become a DS or a coach or whatever, or ask the Australian olympic comittee or cycling federation for a job.

This was a choice by him, and he'll own it.
Bobridge has also recently opened his own bike fit/coaching/indoor training studio to great anticipation by the Perth cycling community. It looked to be going ok too...

idunno said:
Craigee said:
Agree with your post spalco. My son is making a living as a pro bike rider (Track) and I have no fears that he'll end up selling drugs for a living when he retires from cycling. Plenty of perfectly legal jobs he can take up later like the things you've listed here.

Professional track rider? Do you mean state sponsored?

Yes what about it? I never tried to disguise it as road pro. I posted track in brackets.

42x16ss said:
spalco said:
Irondan said:
Just goes to show that these guys waste some of the best years of their lives chasing after a dream that doesn't pay off for most of them. They have nothing to fall back on because the vast majority don't attend university and they have no trade that they were taught other than cycling. Some of them are bound to take the easy way to earn a few bucks...

I'm not buying that.
Even without a degree or a trade, at the very least Bobridge had 15-20 years time to learn bike tech and maintenance from the best in the business if he wanted to.

You can't tell me he couldn't have opened a bike shop in Adelaide or even just put his name on someone else's shop without working much and still make a decent living.

Or become a DS or a coach or whatever, or ask the Australian olympic comittee or cycling federation for a job.

Bobridge has also recently opened his own bike fit/coaching/indoor training studio to great anticipation by the Perth cycling community. It looked to be going ok too...

There is one more factor; Perth. It's aswash with organised crime and drugs. Many made big on the mining boom and had nothing to spend their money on but weekends of party drugs and hookers. He might have been better to live elsewhere in Australia. Perth is not the most interesting place to live. Especially if you've come off the European pro circuit.

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site

Yes what about it? I never tried to disguise it as road pro. I posted track in brackets.[/quote]

No need to get defensive. Just curious if there was any money in track outside the Japanese keirin circuit and perhaps some six days. If the IOC chose to remove track cycling, governments would stop funding immediately. Given the present state of that august body it wouldn't surprise.

thehog said:
42x16ss said:
spalco said:
Irondan said:

I'm not buying that.

There is one more factor; Perth. It's aswash with organised crime and drugs. Many made big on the mining boom and had nothing to spend their money on but weekends of party drugs and hookers. He might have been better to live elsewhere in Australia. Perth is not the most interesting place to live. Especially if you've come off the European pro circuit.
So true! When I was living there, there was even an "anti aging" clinic that was busted supplying Kona wannabe Masters Triathletes (of which Perth has MANY) and bike racers. A very pretentious place.

GuyIncognito said:
the delgados said:
Hey, hey!
Easy now, fellas.
Let's just take a bodybreak. Irondan knows what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSj9D5mWFqg

What fresh hell is this?
Is this what the 80s were like? No wonder cocaine was popular.

Bodybreak was a Canadian government initiative designed to get people off the couch.
I don't know if the campaign was successful, but I do know the videos were a never ending source of unintentional hilarity.
I'm easily amused, which is probably why I smirk every time I see the cycling video. It never gets old.
p.s. Cocaine is still popular.

Ronino:
I'm not crying because there isn't a "structure in place for former riders when you get caught."
I'm suggesting there should be structures (i.e. a union) in place before they get caught.
I could be wrong, but I can't think of another professional sports league that does not have a union.
Stories like these remind me of the movie Triplettes of Belleville (sp?)

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Jspear said:
the delgados said:
There should be a structure in place that not only serves the needs of active riders, but those who have left the sport.
I'm not going to come down on someone who sells/uses drugs. Pretty much everyone uses drugs of some kind, and I hate that people like Bobridge are seen as an outcast. Nothing wrong with using the droogs.
All best to Bobridge.

lol that's a pretty blanket statement. You sure about that? I'm thinking of someone who was run over by a car after he attacked a man (who he didn't know and for no reason) because of....drugs.

+1. Actually Jacky Bobby grew up in a very high drug neighbourhood and was a massive party animal all his career - the stories I could tell you ... he's always been into party drugs

laziali said:
Jspear said:
the delgados said:
All best to Bobridge.

lol that's a pretty blanket statement. You sure about that? I'm thinking of someone who was run over by a car after he attacked a man (who he didn't know and for no reason) because of....drugs.

+1. Actually Jacky Bobby grew up in a very high drug neighbourhood and was a massive party animal all his career - the stories I could tell you ... he's always been into party drugs

Joining the long list from O'Grady, Matt White and so on....

42x16ss said:
thehog said:
42x16ss said:
spalco said:
Irondan said:

I'm not buying that.

So true! When I was living there, there was even an "anti aging" clinic that was busted supplying Kona wannabe Masters Triathletes (of which Perth has MANY) and bike racers. A very pretentious place.

Cousins went to jail, many thought he’d dry out but there’s more drugs in Perth jails this out. Might be better to build a border wall around Perth! :cool:

Anyway Bombridge is back in court his week, going to be tough to avoid jail selling a sack of 167 MDMA pills. That’s trafficking.