• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bone density testing for athletes

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
There are several articles on bone density and cycling. None of them give you accurate information about where to get a bone density scan. Unless you qualify for a research study, chances are your insurance won't cover the cost of the scan. If you live in the Denver metro area, there is a clinic that does bone density testing without going through insurance. In most cases, insurance will not cover the cost of a scan just because you are a cyclist. You generally need a pre-existing fracture or other bone density related issue to have it paid for. This scan is the first step to identifying bone loss issues.

Rocky Mountain Sports Imaging offers low cost bone density and body composition scans. It's the same scan a physician would order and you can even take this to your physician for follow up. It's easy and you won't have to wait for a fracture to find out your bone density is bad.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I practice in Highlands Ranch. I can write the requisition for your density scan at Invision Sally Jobe. Their cash price for DXA scans is $199. They will verify your insurance benefits.

Check your private message portion of this site for my office information.

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Rocky Mountain Sports Imaging has a cash price for $100 and discounts if combined with body composition. And you don't need to have a physician referral or go through insurance. Seems easier to go through them and then your own physician for follow up.