• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

***Book Club***

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
Last book i read: On The Road, by Jack Kerouac.
Up next: Into the wild (Jon Krakauer)

I'm in travelling mode:D

That's funny, I was going to write about how much I disliked Into the Wild. Read it last week. Not sure if I just cannot sympathize with the protagonist or if it's Krakauer's writing style that annoys me. I hope you like it better than I did.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
I saw the movie Into the Wild as well and would like to read the book. Pretty sure the book would add more depth. Movie portrayed some realism in terms of nutritional debt-- too hungry to hunt and search for food. Takes less effort to whither and die. Sad. Krakauer also has written another, new controversial book. Has anyone read that one yet? I have that one on order.

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
I am currently re-reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Oddly enough, I had never read this until the movie came out a few years ago.Susan

A sign of an English education in the early 70's....being read the Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe by your teachers every year until you were old enough to read it yourself, then being made to read it.

Just finished City of Thieves by david Benioff - that was a good read.

A

Anonymous

Currently reading "Too Big to Fail" by Andrew Ross Sorkin. If you have a desire to foam at the mouth with righteous indignation, I suggest picking up a copy.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
One of my Christmas presents was The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I wanted to read it because it is set in my old hometown of Washington, DC.

It is ....... very strange........

Susan

Not as good as Angels & Demons or the Da Vinci Code. Too predictable and the end was, as you say, very strange. But then again, it would be hard to follow two such good books with a third winner. Interesting insight into the Masons though.

I am just finishing "Pirate Latitudes", a novel by Michael Crichton which was found complete after his death. Great author with some very inventive novels. I will miss reading them.

Recently finished two books on K2: K2 - The Savage Mountain by Houston & Bates; and K2 - Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain by Ed Viesturs. Both great books that suck you into the tension of climbing such a difficult and dangerous mountain. Ed Viesturs's book also provides a good insight into human characteristics and frailties and group dynamics, particularly with type A personalities.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
"Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald. Good book on how to achieve your racing weight for endurance sports people with advice based on scientific research and not hocus pocus.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bookcrossing.com is gaining popularity here. Just dumped a whole bunch of pockets (Grisham, Forsyth etc.) and picked up 2 nice new reads for free. Off the street.
Awesome system.

And i got 'Opkomst en ondergang van een ongelooflijk stomme zak' (Rise and fall of an incredibly stupid jerk) about the former manager of Marlene Ottey and Ben Jonhson among others. Should be a good 'clinic' read.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I recently finished The Shack by William P. Young. I don't know why I picked it up at the bookstore because I am not religious, but it was actually an imaginative story and an interesting take on God and religion.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Just about finished with Naiv. Super by Erlend Loe.

I've read it in Norwegian as part of my studies, but have just discovered that an English translation is available. It's very interesting story of one man's search for the meaning of life...I guess that's how I'd describe it. Admittedly I only started it to learn more of the language, but rather enjoyed it.

I'm also about halfway through the second book in the Millenium by Stieg Larsson. This time I'm reading the English translatiosns and I have to say they're fantastic and extremely well translated. As had been mentioned here earlier, they start off slow but definitely pick up steam...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Felt this thread deserved a bump:

Lots of great suggestions throughout the first pages. Just finished Kafka's "The Castle." Exactly what I would expect from Kafka, thus incredibly entertaining.

I might take a fiction break for awhile and start Anquetil's biography, but have plenty of books loaded onto the Kindle to keep me occupied and diversified.

A posting on a book thread was on my to-do list this week; I'm glad this got bumped.

Finally finished The Brothers Karamazov after a long, long summer. I liked it, but I don't think I'm smart enough to really understand all that its good for on my own. It would have been better to read with a group, maybe.

Prior to that, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold made up the first two novels I'd read in a long time. Now I want back in my non-fiction groove, and found a book called The Soccer Wars by Ryszard Kapuscinski. Its a collection of his writings as a journalist following many wars, and revolutions in Latin America, Africa, and Asia.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Biographies are my top favourite amongst books. Lord Curzon's biography is one of my favourites, much maligned (and justifiably so) but was instrumental in the founding of the Architectural Survey of India which has discovered some of the most important historic monuments round here.

Harold Larwood by Duncan Hamilton is also brilliant (for those into cricket or any Aussie or Pom).

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I've been reading the feist books lately. currently reading the kings buccaneer. Really like his books.

YESSS!!! I've read almost all of his books! They are great!:D

Can anyone recommend an author similar to feist?

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
TRDean said:
For historical fiction I read Bernard Cornwell. His Saxon Series is very well done and historically pretty accurate. Uhtred is a great character...and even helps Alfred become "the great".

I was beginning to think I'd never meet another Bernard Cornwell fan. And, for historical fiction, that Saxon Series is about as good as it gets. I also think John LeCarre is a master. His lastest novel, A Perfect Spy is tough reading but extremely interesting. Ken Follet is usually genius...The Pillars two novels were both simply masterpieces. For Americans, I like David Liss and Howard Norman. If you haven't read either, I'd recommend Coffee Trader as an entry for Liss and the Bird Artist for Norman. Finally, if you want a really spellbinding quick read, Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks is a can't miss.
Anyway, what a fun Thread this one is RDV. I got some great suggestions from these posts.
Quixote
Senior Member in the shadows