• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

***Book Club***

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
A place to recommend and discuss literature.

My current read is 'Selected Essays, Lectures, and Poems' by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

If you've never read Emerson, you should. He's one of the great literary minds and philosophers from the US. So far the writings that have really struck me are 'Woman', 'Nature' and 'Self-Reliance'

Brilliant stuff!

A

Anonymous

Steampunk said:
Am currently enjoying China Miéville's Perdido Street Station. Big Neal Stephenson fan, too.

With the near collapse of the world's financial system and new administration here in the U.S. I've been reading Ayn Rand. Tedious, but she was ahead of her time. "Atlas Shrugged" gives some insight as to where this country may be headed economically.

For fun there is always Clive Cussler. Dirk Pitt is a bad-ass.:cool:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Finished Le Rouge et le Noir - Stendhal a while ago. Must read!

Now I am picking up:

The Slave Ship - Rediker
The Ayatollah begs to differ - Hooman Majd
Avengers of the New World - Dubois

A

Anonymous

Crikey, thats some serious stuff..

Theres me thinking i was breaking new ground reading High Fidelity by Nick Hornby..
I shall have to send the wife in, shes on about five books a week and has read just about everything :/

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
I just finished The Aeneid by Virgil. There's lots of fighting and lots of gruesome detail blood, guts, and I believe the quote is "hot brains" flying all over the place.

Relating this all back to the world of cycling... the lead character visits the Elysian Fields in the Underworld. I ended up looking the Elysian Fields up on Wikipedia, and found this...

"In Greek mythology, the Elysian Fields in Elysium were the final resting place of the souls of the heroic and the virtuous.
Elysian Fields may also refer to:
Avenue des Champs-Élysées (English: Avenue of the Elysian Fields)"

Could you ask for a better spot for a bike race to end?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
"In Greek mythology, the Elysian Fields in Elysium were the final resting place of the souls of the heroic and the virtuous.
Elysian Fields may also refer to:
Avenue des Champs-Élysées (English: Avenue of the Elysian Fields)"

Could you ask for a better spot for a bike race to end?

In one word: "Classic"! :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
All-time favourites are, in order of preference:
-The Monkey Wrench Gang, Edward Abbey
-Touching the Void, Joe Simpson
-The Road, Cormac McCarthy
-Into Thin Air, Jon Krakauer
-Perfect Storm, Sebastian Junger
-Power of One, Bryce Courtney
-Angels & Demons, and Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown

I have been on a bit of a history and classics kick recently. Just finished Gallipoli: The Fatal Shore, Catch-22 and Fightclub, and have 1984 and To Kill A Mockingbird up next. Also bought Born to Run on the advice of TFF, but that's sitting third on the book shelf with another Gallipoli book.

+1 for Grapes of Wrath.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm a sucker for military history, and other non-fiction. I really can't put down a well written fictionalization of a historical event...ala Gates of Fire by Pressfield or The Secret Agent by Conrad.

A book I read over the summer that was along these lines and fantastic was Devil in the White City by Eric Larson. Turn of the century piece on Chicago's World's Colombian Exposition (World's Fair 1893) told from two very different viewpoints; the lead architect of the fair, a serial killer.

As I'm learning Norwegian I've recently branched into that realm. I'm currently reading Max Manus, and autobiography of the occupation of Norway by Germany during WWII and the Norwegian resistance. It's fascinating reading, albeit a little slow for me with lots of dictionary references being made.

usedtobefast said:
the grapes of wrath-john steinbeck
rereading yet again.

Yeah i'm reading 'The Winter Of Our Discontent' another classic Steinbeck.

Also reading:

LA Confidential: Les Secrets de Lance Armstrong - Re-reading again, prompted too by some of the quotes from it in the clinic.

Every Second Counts - Read LA's first book but never got around to the second one. Also prompted to by the happenings in the clinic.

'A Better Way to Train' By Carl Cantrell. Great book about cycling, training and racing. A must read. I have the PDF version if anyone wants it. Just drop me a PM.

101 Defensive & Conditioning water polo drills. Re-reading this to help with the upcoming water polo season.

Also have Pete Read's 'Black Book' also in PDF if anyone wants that as well just PM me.

I'm just finishing a re-read of "The Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchmann.

The books I go back to and re-read every couple of years are anything by Jane Austen.

I also just recently re-read the Max Perkins biography, so I will probably see what F. Scott Fitzgerald I have. Frankly I could never read Tom Wolfe.

Haven't looked at Faulkner lately, he's always great.....

Susan

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
I' m a Issac Asimov fan. Fiction or non- fiction. Also Robert Heinlein, James Michener. And an obscure book "J.G. the Upright Ape; being a novel about the way things are as discovered in the adventures of an innocent hero and illuminated by his forthright reaction to women, men, progress, and other contemporary phenomena."

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I like Asimov too. The only series I've read from him is 'Foundation', probably one of the more popular releases from him, but reading your posts has sparked my interest again.

Right next to my Asimov sits 'The Complete Science Fiction Treasury of H.G. Wells'

A

Anonymous

on the wifes behalf cos she still wont register..

shes reading.. The blood of others by Simone De Beauvoir, which is allegedly an existentialist feminist novel :eek:

and youre all reading "man books" apparently..

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
on the wifes behalf cos she still wont register..

shes reading.. The blood of others by Simone De Beauvoir, which is allegedly an existentialist feminist novel :eek:

and youre all reading "man books" apparently..

Too funny! That's exactly what my wife calls the books I read.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
I just started reading "Julie and Julia" -- looks quite funny.

Susan

Only saw the movie, and although Meryl Streep was a great Julia, it was quite painful to watch. I hope the book is better, but then again I have been told by an editor that Julie is a bad writer... :rolleyes:

Finished Don't Look Twice by Andrew Gross last week, and can't decide what to move onto next. Have about 100 books that have been bought and allowed to gather dust over the last 10 years but I think one of my Tom Clancy ones will get read next.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Recently read "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Just finished "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz. Currently reading "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" by Muriel Barbery.

Comments on a few mentioned by others:
Couldn't stand "The Road." Just couldn't make more than about halfway through the first chapter. ;)

Liked "Winter of our Discontent" by Steinbeck. It was a book that stuck with me after I read it more than I thought it would.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Almost done with the first part of the 'millennium trilogy' by Stieg Larsson.
It's good, but I honestly don't get the hype.
I probably will read the second part when I'm done with this since it's only €10,- here now. :)

But overall I still prefer to read cycling books. I have a small collection of about 200 now and I still enjoy reading new ones and searching for old ones.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Dude17 said:
Couldn't stand "The Road." Just couldn't make more than about halfway through the first chapter. ;)

Personal preferences are funny, aren't they? I couldn't put the book down and I finished it in an afternoon.

TRENDING THREADS