• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Books on cycling

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What did you think of the writing? Too lyrical and romantic to be Martin, more like Carrey, or did it feel like it was Martin speaking to you?

well I assume it was ghost written, so the author might have tried to write in Martins voice/personality/style after having interviewed him several times, but there are very few of those writers who can really get inside their autobiographical head so to speak.

well I assume it was ghost written, so the author might have tried to write in Martins voice/personality/style after having interviewed him several times, but there are very few of those writers who can really get inside their autobiographical head so to speak.
Pickering did it with his McEwen book, Friebe with the first two Cav books. Good ghosts get it right, bury their ego and let the subject speak. A lot of times here I felt it was really Carrey speaking, not Martin, even with Cossins on translation duties.

The interviews here were Voice Notes, Carrey sent questions, Martin sent back Notes.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Pickering did it with his McEwen book, Friebe with the first two Cav books. Good ghosts get it right, bury their ego and let the subject speak. A lot of times here I felt it was really Carrey speaking, not Martin, even with Cossins on translation duties.

The interviews here were Voice Notes, Carrey sent questions, Martin sent back Notes.

The only ghost writer that I thought caught the riders actual voice was Freibe with Cavendish. I didn't get it with McEwen. But a big mention to Tom Fordyce who took a different approach with Geriant Thomas as he has with other sportsmen (eg Peter Crouch)

Tom Fordyce who took a different approach with Geriant Thomas as he has with other sportsmen (eg Peter Crouch)
Yes but that is really running out of steam as the According To ... franchise goes on.

Deering is another who took an 'interesting' approach, in the Yates book.

I suppose Broughton must be credited with having done a good job on the Kirby book, that was as ducking annoying as listening to him on Discosport.

Daniel Friebe has written a book about Jan Ullrich which will hit the stores in a months' time. I think I have to have that one.

The name of the book: Jan Ullrich - The Best There Never Was
I was hesitant to read another book about doping in cycling, but so far this is a pleasant surprise.
I'm only half way through, but so far the book focuses more on how geopolitics and subsequent fame shaped Ullrich's career.
This is a compelling read.

I want to get my hands on the new book about Jumbo Visma which hit the stores two days ago.

My problem is that I want to get it in Dutch, and so far I have tried three different Dutch sites that sell books but after filling in all kinds of information, I get the message that they can only ship inside Benelux. Fair enough, but that's a lot of waste of time, so I was wondering if there was anyone on here who would have an idea of how to get a book sent from The Netherlands to Denmark? Do I just have to wait until it's available on Amazon?

I want to get my hands on the new book about Jumbo Visma which hit the stores two days ago.

My problem is that I want to get it in Dutch, and so far I have tried three different Dutch sites that sell books but after filling in all kinds of information, I get the message that they can only ship inside Benelux. Fair enough, but that's a lot of waste of time, so I was wondering if there was anyone on here who would have an idea of how to get a book sent from The Netherlands to Denmark? Do I just have to wait until it's available on Amazon?
Which websites have you tried?

bol.com
amboanthos.nl
doorbraak.be

Do you still get the Nederlands variant when clicking this click? The website says they deliver Team Oranje-producten (I have no idea what would count as such a product) to all countries in Europe. I'd say this is your best bet for now.

Do you still get the Nederlands variant when clicking this click? The website says they deliver Team Oranje-producten (I have no idea what would count as such a product) to all countries in Europe. I'd say this is your best bet for now.

Thanks a lot! Yes, it was still the Dutch version and I have now ordered it.

Curiously, though, it seems like it will only be published in The Netherlands on Monday (which could be why I couldn't find it on an international site), which is weird given that there is already a translated Danish version on the streets here...

Anyway, I look forward to getting my very first Team Oranje-product ;)

Anybody read / reading / about to read Ned Boulting's book about the 1923 Tour?

I found it it a factually challenging experience (the 1923 Tour climbed to Hautacam, apparently, 70+ years before the Tour's first visit to that Pyrenean ski station). Even though he announced at the outset that he knew little about the Tour in those years (I think his knowledge begins with LeMond in 1989) I was surprised how bad some of his research was. A plague diary (it was written during lockdowns and tells a first-person story of his research) plagued by errors as he goes looking for the story of one rider, Théo Beeckman, and makes some really impressive gaffs along the way.

don't click if you're of a sensitive nature

Not_the_1923_Tour.jpg

Reactions: Monte Serra
Anybody read / reading / about to read Ned Boulting's book about the 1923 Tour?

I found it it a factually challenging experience (the 1923 Tour climbed to Hautacam, apparently, 70+ years before the Tour's first visit to that Pyrenean ski station). Even though he announced at the outset that he knew little about the Tour in those years (I think his knowledge begins with LeMond in 1989) I was surprised how bad some of his research was. A plague diary (it was written during lockdowns and tells a first-person story of his research) plagued by errors as he goes looking for the story of one rider, Théo Beeckman, and makes some really impressive gaffs along the way.

don't click if you're of a sensitive nature

Not_the_1923_Tour.jpg

I was waiting for the paperback, but disappointing if the research isnt absolutely on the mark as he's always struck me as a writer who cares about getting that kind of detail right. I actually dont think his knowledge of TdF, Ill have to reread the yellow jumper book to be sure, started till he joined ITVs Tour coverage in 2003,as Im sure a big part of that book was he had no idea what he was reporting on, hence the yellow jumper, so a LeMond in '89 reference can only be yeah I remember that name in passing surely ? he started out as a football reporter and kind of fell into the cycling bit as there was no one else available to go to France for 3 weeks in July (again Id have to recheck yellow jumper to sure on that anectdote) afaicr.

Yeah, that's what I remember from his Jumper days, how he played that whole Idiot Abroad shtick for all it was worth ("Oh! Look at me! I don't know what I'm talking about and now I'm talking about cycling! Oh David, I like your lovely jumper, did you knit that yourself? David! David! Come back David!"), except when it came to doping, when he was able to spot a wrong 'un (Flandis) just by looking him in the eye. He's still playing some of the same stuff, the anecdote about Mark Cavendish's phone number is wheeled out, again, even here. And here he always knew LA was a wrong 'un and told people so. Just not on air.

So I was actually surprised to see him in 1923 suggesting he'd been a fan since the LeMond days ("When I counted back through time, trying to bookmark phases of my life, I did so in reference to the Tour de France. The year 1989 – Laurent Fignon and Greg LeMond battling it out on the Champs-Elysées".) But he does have a 1989 annual to sell so maybe he's just trying to reposition himself.

Yeah, that's what I remember from his Jumper days, how he played that whole Idiot Abroad shtick for all it was worth ("Oh! Look at me! I don't know what I'm talking about and now I'm talking about cycling! Oh David, I like your lovely jumper, did you knit that yourself? David! David! Come back David!"), except when it came to doping, when he was able to spot a wrong 'un (Flandis) just by looking him in the eye. He's still playing some of the same stuff, the anecdote about Mark Cavendish's phone number is wheeled out, again, even here. And here he always knew LA was a wrong 'un and told people so. Just not on air.

So I was actually surprised to see him in 1923 suggesting he'd been a fan since the LeMond days ("When I counted back through time, trying to bookmark phases of my life, I did so in reference to the Tour de France. The year 1989 – Laurent Fignon and Greg LeMond battling it out on the Champs-Elysées".) But he does have a 1989 annual to sell so maybe he's just trying to reposition himself.

true I guess theres always the potential he wrote as a caricature of himself for effect, a story of some guy who measures stages of his life by TdF winners isnt going to be as entertaining or mass appeal, as someone who pretends to be clueless about it all to begin with.

Matt Rendell's Valverde book is taking quite a pasting among Amazon reviewers, who are usually so nice and incisive ("It arrived on time! Five stars!")

- "No insight into this great cyclist at all."

- "There was a real opportunity missed on this book I'd have loved to have seen more depth & nuance in this but it is severely lacking. "

- "Like others have mentioned, this book disappoints in many ways, as it focuses far less on the rider himself due to the author’s lack of access to Valverde, and much more on the failings of the Spanish legal, financial and political systems to operate in an ethical manner."

- "Not worth buying at full price and slightly misleading in title and cover art."

- "Save your money and go and read wikipedia"

Reactions: Andre

TRENDING THREADS