• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Boonen on coke - again!?

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 9, 2009
Visit site
stephens said:
I haven't heard anything about the Belgium authorities reaction in regards to Boonen's "probation" or whatever from his previous case. Of course it's quite possible that the very tiny amount of drugs found in his system will not be enough to spur legal penalties (it certainly shouldn't be). Does anyone have any news on that front?

I guess I asked my question a day too early. It's been announced that they will not be charging Boonen or reopening the earlier case.

http://velonews.com/article/93632/court-won-t-resurrect-old-boonen-case

So...the only people who have a problem with Boonen at this point is the Tour de France. Insane.

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
subzro said:
The sample CONI took was from the TdF last year, not the Giro. It tested clean, no traces of drugs.
Escarabajo said:
Correct too. But the match in spain had EPO.

I don't think so. It has been written in various reports that the sample from TdF was negative. It has never been said that the alleged 'matching' OP sample was doped, logic would say that if it was CONI with the way they have acted would have let everyone know.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Drugs are Okay? huh?

BroDeal said:
All caps does not make your post any more clear. It just lumps it in with those of loons who use a random combination of caps, different sized fonts, and colored text. :)

So what if he used recreational drugs? It has nothing to do with competition. Cycling already has a bad image when it comes to drugs. It is not due to people snorting a line while they are out clubbing. It is due to people taking drugs that alter the results.

So it doesn't matter that cocaine is an illegal drug? So we should not be concernced if Mr. Boonen (who may also be a loon, not sure, but probably is the way you defend him) uses coke when ever he wants and races cycling's most prestigious race and gets away with it? Just because he is Tom Boonen doesn't mean he should be treated differently. I can see it now, many other prominent cyclists, Levi, Lance, Alberto, the Shleck brothers, Basso, Nibali, Valverde, Friere, Menchov, etc. etc. etc. on an off-season retreat all huffing merijuana (it is okay right? because it is out of competition), then all of the domestiques can do meth (it is okay right?) and turn into loons (Wow, the loons are much greater in number than I ever before thought).

Dude, cycling's image is at risk. This has been a great year thanks to Lance, but look at how many teams lost sponsorship over the last couple of years. and you think Tom Loon Boonen's actions are going to help this?

PULEASE!

By the way Mr. Loon. I loved that cute little happy smiley face (it is darling), it really did put that finishing touch on your thoughts and makes your point so much more persuasive (I love smiley faces, they make me all giddy inside). Guess you are just one of the loons now, welcome. Maybe on your next post you could include some flowers-white, to go with Tom's wonderfully white cocaine. (love love love love love love that sweet smiley face. it made my day. heh, heh, heh. thanks.)

BroDeal, just a little hint here (anti-loon tip so feel free to ignore it), maybe next time you can check the "disable smilies in text" box to protect your image.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
davesemail29 said:
So it doesn't matter that cocaine is an illegal drug? So we should not be concernced if Mr. Boonen (who may also be a loon, not sure, but probably is the way you defend him) uses coke when ever he wants and races cycling's most prestigious race and gets away with it? Just because he is Tom Boonen doesn't mean he should be treated differently. I can see it now, many other prominent cyclists, Levi, Lance, Alberto, the Shleck brothers, Basso, Nibali, Valverde, Friere, Menchov, etc. etc. etc. on an off-season retreat all huffing merijuana (it is okay right? because it is out of competition), then all of the domestiques can do meth (it is okay right?) and turn into loons (Wow, the loons are much greater in number than I ever before thought).

Dude, cycling's image is at risk. This has been a great year thanks to Lance, but look at how many teams lost sponsorship over the last couple of years. and you think Tom Loon Boonen's actions are going to help this?

PULEASE!

Welcome to the board, Pat!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Why does a small group of cycling aficionados on this forum insist on calling the ex-WC and green jersey winner cyclist from Spain "Friere" as opposed to the more correct "Freire".

I would have assumed that his media exposure due to his exceptional performance would have instilled this relatively simple name, consisting of a mere 6 syllables, in the minds of anyone who has watched a race or two.

What's next: Sestra; Shleque; Monchev; Bonnen; Hoshuvd; Avens...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
Haha, that's gold. Sounds so posh. Franque Shleque :D

Gives his name a little more cachet, I think ;) Schleck sounds too much like 'slak', which isn't the best epithet for a cyclist.

He should consider a name change including his first name "Franque"

May 14, 2009
Visit site
davesemail29 said:
Nobody is full idiot.

The risk is not a guy who has a societal problem but the guys who ruin sport. The comeback of Lance is the biggest problem which has reopened the pandora box of less doping fight!

davesemail29 said:

PULEASE!

By the way Mr. Loon. I loved that cute little happy smiley face (it is darling), it really did put that finishing touch on your thoughts and makes your point so much more persuasive (I love smiley faces, they make me all giddy inside). Guess you are just one of the loons now, welcome. Maybe on your next post you could include some flowers-white, to go with Tom's wonderfully white cocaine. (love love love love love love that sweet smiley face. it made my day. heh, heh, heh. thanks.)

BroDeal, dude, just a little hint here (anti-loon tip so feel free to ignore it), maybe next time you can check the "disable smilies in text" box to protect your image and keep your manhood.

I suggest you run--don't walk--to the nearest pharmacy and have your prescriptions refilled. Life will be a lot easier without the visions and the voices.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Why does a small group of cycling aficionados on this forum insist on calling the ex-WC and green jersey winner cyclist from Spain "Friere" as opposed to the more correct "Freire".

I would have assumed that his media exposure due to his exceptional performance would have instilled this relatively simple name, consisting of a mere 6 syllables, in the minds of anyone who has watched a race or two.

What's next: Sestra; Shleque; Monchev; Bonnen; Hoshuvd; Avens...

Last time I checked, Freire has 2 syllables, not 6. but there are 6 letters.

record crowds at every single event Lance goes to opens up a pandora's box of less doping fight? Please elaborate.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I suggest you run--don't walk--to the nearest pharmacy and have your prescriptions refilled. Life will be a lot easier without the visions and the voices.

Why is it that your answer to everything is drugs?

Just ride - no drugs.

Quickstep can still appeal to another court

Quick Step should tell Johnny Maeschalk which court to appeal to -

Quick Step had asked the Tribunal de Grande Instance in Nanterre to decide over the affair.
Boonen’s lawyer, Johnny Maeschalk, could not comment on the cycling team’s next step in the case.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/french-judge-not-competent-in-boonen-affair
Has Boonen’s lawyer, Johnny Maeschalk, not read the UCI rulebook ?
However, in the case of the Tour de France, the dispute
shall be placed before the Chambre Arbitrale du Sport [Sports Arbitration
Chamber] (Maison du sport français, 1 avenue Pierre de Coubertin, 75640 Paris
Cédex 13).
http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTkzNg&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=34028&

latest - Quick Step said in a statement that it intends to initiate proceedings before the Comité National Olympique et Sportif Français (CNOSF)
http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves2009/20090630_145519_la-quick-step-devant-le-cnosf.html
which still does not seem to be the Chambre Arbitrale du Sport,
so I expect the same result – Judge isn’t competant to rule..

anyway as Sinkewitz: is saying “Systematisch dopinggebruik bij Quick-Step”
http://www.wielerupdate.nl/nieuws/2...tematisch-dopinggebruik-bij-quick-step_11789/
the ASO will probably exclude the whole team if a decision went in favour of Boonen

A

Anonymous

Nice side-step by the courts to derail Boonen's attempt to join the TdF... Kind of weak to avoid making a decision!

But I have mixed feelings on this. I want to see Boonen fight for the green jersey but out of competition or not, he used an illegal drug. And unfortuantely, the TdF Organizers have their own rules and Boonen and others need to follow them.

This reminds me of Adam "PacMan" Jones or Plaxico Burris who had "out of competition" problems and were suspended for their actions because it violated league conduct policies and hurt the image of the NFL (If that can actually happen...), or something like that.

This is the same thing with Boonen. He didn't learn from last year so it's his own fault. Sorry to say but he let down his team and his fans, not the ASO.

See you at the Vuelta Boonen.

Who cares what he does with his spare time and spare cash? It's not like he is getting a performance advantage.

Anyway, I think everyone in the peleton probably has used some sort of banned performance enhancing drug at one time or another. People need to get off their high horses.:rolleyes:

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Ive been thinking and there may be a deliberate change of attitude by cycling authorities.

It seems to me that it has become common knowledge that you can do a few "recreational drugs" out of season. The pressure has been lifted. The dutch approach of "you have a drug problem its a sickness, let me help you" rather than the old "youre a disgrace to the sport, you cost us sponsors and little johnny wants to have a bong while BMXing, youre career is over" as we have downunder with our elite sports people.

Could end up being a case of giving people enough rope to hang themselves too.

There have been some surprising decisions lately. Its hard to believe the TDF can continue to be a law unto itself.

A

Anonymous

Boonen all coked up...

Hell, if I had won P/R yet again I damn well know I would indulge in a few lines...keep it up Tom...

TRENDING THREADS