• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bottom Bracket Facing

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I've just bought an Ellsworth Epiphany frame and I'm trying to figure out if I need the bottom bracket shell faced or not. (I feel a bit awkward going to LBS for advice when I'm not buying any of the parts from them, but I'll get them to do the facing if required).
The outside of the BB shell is not raw metal - the coating covers it, however it's anodized rather than painted/powder coated and as far as I can tell with my eyes and digital caliper, the sides are very parellel.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

As I understand anodising makes the surface harder (potentially very hard) - I wonder if this prevents a problem with facing in any case?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Do the bearing cups fit all the way into the thread and is the BB axel square set if so why worry it should be OK.
also check with a flat bar and see if it lines up with the gear cable stops either side.

I am surprised that given the high quality of such a frame that it would be necessary to make any such alterations. I would like to ask out of interest what gave you the idea that you would need to do this work? The situations I have had to face bottom bracket shells before was in weird cases of wide q factors and bad chain lines, that would be the only situation I can see it being required, unless you have other thoughts?

david. said:
I've just bought an Ellsworth Epiphany frame and I'm trying to figure out if I need the bottom bracket shell faced or not. (I feel a bit awkward going to LBS for advice when I'm not buying any of the parts from them, but I'll get them to do the facing if required).
The outside of the BB shell is not raw metal - the coating covers it, however it's anodized rather than painted/powder coated and as far as I can tell with my eyes and digital caliper, the sides are very parellel.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

As I understand anodising makes the surface harder (potentially very hard) - I wonder if this prevents a problem with facing in any case?

Yes, get it faced. Almost all metal frames these days need it regardless of how much they may have cost. It will save you BBs in the future.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips so far. I got the idea it needed to be done from reading web forums basically, which seem to indicate that any paint on the outside of the shell can result in the BB cups being less than perfectly parallel when installed. My research seems to indicate this is particularly the case with external BB cups (which I should have mentioned I'm using - FSA MegaExo).

The replies so far seem to confirm that there are cases/opinions for and against, which is basically what I expected, but I thought perhaps the anodised surface may be decisive. Does anyone have any experience with Ellsworth frames in this regard?

I have emailed Ellsworth tech support - will report back if I hear from them.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Head wind into the valley said:
Why would facing save bbs in the future?

As I understand it (and it makes sense to me but I'm no expert), if the cups are not perfectly parallel then they won't rotate perfectly parallel when attached to the crank spindle, which leads to higher than usual wear.

TRENDING THREADS