• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Boxing

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Is there a boxing thread already? I dont know.... But anyway Adamek v Vitali is coming up.... I am really looking forward to it. Full football stadium in poland and 2 tough guys, might be good, otherwise might be the usual klitschko fight :confused:.... I hope for a good one that Vitali wins

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I think this Polish man is not one of those who starts crying when the righthander is tested for the first time.
He can take a lot, but that means a lot of pain. :)

But I doubt that he can knock out Vitali. Had to be a very lucky punches.

btw, also busy with US Open and wondered why there is no US Open thread. Djoko strikes back now.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
I think this Polish man is not one of those who starts crying when the righthander is tested for the first time.
He can take a lot, but that means a lot of pain. :)

But I doubt that he can knock out Vitali. Had to be a very lucky punches.

btw, also busy with US Open and wondered why there is no US Open thread. Djoko strikes back now.
Is there a tennis thread or us open thread? I dont know, but I am sure if you make one then the poster will post :cool:

yes from what I have seen adamek is very tough but vitali is also very strong, it should be a very interesting fight and I hope it doesn't end on points.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
palmerq said:
Is there a tennis thread or us open thread? I dont know, but I am sure if you make one then the poster will post :cool:

yes from what I have seen adamek is very tough but vitali is also very strong, it should be a very interesting fight and I hope it doesn't end on points.
I think it's too late now. Only one and a half day left.
But I saw there is a Nadal-thread in the clinic. :D

I like it when the Ukrainian anthem is running together with the Klitschkos putting on their bad face then. :mad: :mad:
Always reminds me of Ivan Drago.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
I think it's too late now. Only one and a half day left.
But I saw there is a Nadal-thread in the clinic. :D

I like it when the Ukrainian anthem is running together with the Klitschkos putting on their bad face then. :mad: :mad:
Always reminds me of Ivan Drago.

national anthem of poland now... everyone is singing :S................

I hope vitali will play the german national anthem instead, it is where his money comes from :cool:

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Watching the fight now. The size difference is astounding. Hard to see how Klitschko can lose.

Susan
yes it is.. but adamek is a very tough man.. I have vitali winnng on the scorecard but tomasz is making a good fight.. he got a standing 8 count though... vitali is getting him now :cool:

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
it's over the ref stopped it in the 10th round, I think he's right, adamek was taking a beating, he was taking shots on the chin and he had no answer, hats off to him for not going down, but I think the ref did him a favour here for his future health...

Good work from 40 year old Vitali and good work from adamek everything was agaisnt him and he kept swining, I have a lot of respect for him, far more than haye anyway.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Thats it.

Vitali is nice man.
I think heavyweight-class is too much for Adamek.

Yes he is small, but he was impressive is some ways, 10 or 15 kgs less than vitali and he didnt get knocked down, the ref had to stop it, I think it was a good decision by the ref.. Adamek did good though He can beat a lot of people at heavyweight I think. He looked very tough today and always wanted to fight for the win, hats off to him

Susan Westemeyer said:
Watching the fight now. The size difference is astounding. Hard to see how Klitschko can lose.
It's not necessarily size, though that usually helps. It's going to take someone with very fast hands and great defense, or a pressure fighter with a hard chin to take out the Klitschkos. They need to move forward, get inside, and keep the pace high. Whenever someone has tried to get inside, the Klitschkos tend to just hold or wrestle them around and stall (strangely, hardly anyone complains about the holding). Problem is, the HW division is completely devoid of talent right now it seems.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
It's not necessarily size, though that usually helps. It's going to take someone with very fast hands and great defense, or a pressure fighter with a hard chin to take out the Klitschkos. They need to move forward, get inside, and keep the pace high. Whenever someone has tried to get inside, the Klitschkos tend to just hold or wrestle them around and stall (strangely, hardly anyone complains about the holding). Problem is, the HW division is completely devoid of talent right now it seems.

This is why i dont watch HW fight, its so boring.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:

Susan
Alpe d'Huez said:
It's not necessarily size, though that usually helps. <snip>.

indeed.

lets illustrate the point with an example…

vitali is 202 cm high. tomasz is 187 cm high. the difference = 15 cm

...yet, in another heavyweight world championship fight ( 2009), the ‘small’ englishman david haye (191 cm) beat the russian giant nikolai valuev (213 cm). the difference in height was even more pronounced - 22 cm.

i was perplexed watching the slow giant..

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I know Adamek probably got his *** handed to him but i am hoping not to see any spoilers until I see the fight so unfortunately i can not take part in this thread.
Yes he did....... :S But he at least tried to fight and didnt stand on the a table at a press conference to show everyone his small toe... Good work from adamek he was just too small, amazing that he didnt get knocked down properly though. Good choice from the ref to stop it....

I dont think the heavyweight division is that bad, it isnt a golden age but there have been some good guys in it. Their problem is people only see them when they come up agaisnt the klitschkos and so far they have been making fools out of most of them because wlad and vitali are very good and very big.. Haye adamek and solis are all very good contenders , shame solis tore his knee though he was looking pretty good agaisnt vitali I think he is a very good boxer. Eddie chambers is pretty handy aswell but he is even smaller than adamek, sam peter used to be not bad in his own way untill vitali got a hold of him...There is this helenius fellow coming through aswell, he is very tall and pretty good... I think the klitschko make the heavyweights look worse than they are. Lennox Lewis and tyson hardly had great competition either.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
btw, on german RTL there came Rocky IV afterwards. Nice. :D

I agree that it is not really about size, but more about weight and the perfect ratio. That Polish man could take a lot, but it was obvious that each hit (not even talking about full hits) had huge impact on his whole body.
I also think that Vitali played nice all the time, and could have knocked this guy out in the first round after his righthander hit a little bit, or 2nd round at latest.
He wanted to deliver a good and long show for the people, and tried to hurt him as less as possible.

About Haye, I was positively surprised. He didn't just have a big mouth, but also delivered a very good fight. Strong guy.

Valuev, well, saw about 10 fights. It was like watching a man who was unfrozen after 5000 years and was then forced to box.
Anyway, this guy is really too nice to be a fighter and surely he did his best, and earned good money. I wouldn't call that boxing what he did.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I didn't want to say that, but, well, let me just put it this way: It's not 1970, that's for sure!

We are not Dude, and this is maybe answer why today HW are boring IMHO.
Once we had that reds amateur domination at Olympics, just to mention maybe even greater than Ali, Felix Savon or Teofilo Stevenson. But they were not allowed turn pro.
Ex. SSSR which Kličko, Valujev came from had great methods of recruiting and training boxers, it was free for them. Everything was payed.
Now independent countries continue sucha methods of recruiting.
So maybe this is answer why ex USSR fighters rules.

In other hand (maybe I am wrong) US black fighters has so many other options than living from boxing, and they era of making money from boxing is over, there is lot of other ways for doing it (football, NBA etc).

Do not get me wrong but I think boxing has something to do with poverty, black Dudes maybe lives better now, and there is no much to do with racism as before.
Off course great boxers come from all colours, and people who is running boxing are mainly responsible for today situation.
There is for sure some excellent black fighters from US, UK.

No one culd tell me that Kličko Bros are so great and dominating HW boxing for 10 years now, even Ali or Fraiser had some strugle to keep belt, and here Kličkos are fighting with some really mediocracy fighters.

I am just saying;)

P.S. We need big K.O., and not some points won fight, or technical K.O.

python said:
David Haye (191 cm) beat the russian giant nikolai valuev (213 cm). The difference in height was even more pronounced - 22 cm. I was perplexed watching the slow giant..

The advantage the Klitschkos have is that their hands are fairly quick, much faster than Valuev. No, they are not Ali or Larry Holmes, but they are as quick as almost everyone else today, which is good enough.

Between 1940 (Joe Louis) and the early 1980's (Holmes, Hagler, Leonard, Duran, Hearns, etc.) boxing was the 2nd or 3rd largest sport on the planet. Between the years of the Ali-Frazier and Hagler-Leonard fights boxing was just huge. Plus you watch fighters from that era and it's amazing how much everyone just went for it, all the time. Guys fought until they had nothing left, nothing. No one really fights like that anymore. And there are no pressure fighters. Well, Manny Pacquio often fights like that. Shane Mosley and Bernard Hopkins sort of used to. But not many other fighters. The sport's corruption and splintering, and damage it's done to many fighters had reduced it's stature, and with it great athletes, a great deal.

This isn't the Klitschko's fault though. They can only fight who is put in against them. While I don't think they're that great and mostly use their size and decent speed to win, it's still good enough to be champ and that's all that they can do. Props also to Wald for showing class when David Haye was a total jackass and total embarrassment to the sport before, during, and after their fight.

python said:
indeed.

lets illustrate the point with an example…

vitali is 202 cm high. tomasz is 187 cm high. the difference = 15 cm

...yet, in another heavyweight world championship fight ( 2009), the ‘small’ englishman david haye (191 cm) beat the russian giant nikolai valuev (213 cm). the difference in height was even more pronounced - 22 cm.

i was perplexed watching the slow giant..

Valuev was not a boxer like Klitchko.

If you put Andre the Giant against Manny Paquiao in a boxing fight Pacman would probably win.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
gifs_06.gif

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That Mayweather tactic was cheap, given that he was leading on points and he could have won fair. Even the ref was looking Even the ref looks like he is checking Ortiz's corner about the head****. Should have been disqualified for that punch.

TRENDING THREADS