• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Brabantse Pijl: April 17th, 2019

Who will win the Brabantse Pijl 2019?

  • Alberto Bettiol

    Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Ben Hermans

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daryl Impey

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Julian Alaphilippe

    Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Mathieu van der Poel

    Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Michael Matthews

    Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Petr Vakoč

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sonny Colbrelli

    Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Tim Wellens

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

    Votes: 1 2.2%

  • Total voters
    46
  • Poll closed .
After the cobblestones come the hilly classics. A different kind of rider can shine here, although some all-rounders can handle both. The race was held for the first time in 1961. Edwig Van Hooydonck holds the record with four wins. The race ends with four local laps of 23.4 km, containing five short climbs. The top of the Schavei lies 200 m before the finish.



Climbs in the four local laps:
1. Hagaard (21 km)
2. Hertstraat (17 km)
3. Holstheide (10 km)
4. IJskelderlaan (4 km)
5. Schavei (0.2 km)

Recent winners:
2009 Anthony Gheslin
2010 Sébastien Rosseler
2011 Philippe Gilbert
2012 Thomas Voeckler
2013 Peter Sagan
2014 Philippe Gilbert
2015 Ben Hermans
2016 Petr Vakoč
2017 Sonny Colbrelli
2018 Tim Wellens
 
One of the finest semi-classics, with a strong line-up. VDP and Alaf have their uphill punch, but Matthews will be hard to get rid of. Wellens had a great win last year, but will face tougher competition.
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah a weirdly stacked field for the Brabantse Pijl. Before I knew the exact field I thought this was the one for MvdP, but now not so sure.
Yup. Same here. Last week i thought it would be a battle Wellens-Mathieu, which would obviously be in favor of Mathieu. But with Alaphilippe, Valgren, Bettiol... it won't be easy as i thought.
 
I know one rider who must be pretty bummed out over the amazing field.

I was listening to a podcast today with an interview with former Danish champion, Alexander Kamp. He is currently riding for Riwal but he really wants to go to the WorldTour. He has really sacrificed everything he possibly could this spring, even breaking up with his girlfriend to keep full focus on his cycling. And his biggest spring goal was the Brabantse Pijl which is the finest invitation they team has got. And he is suited to the race, but now it will be very difficult to go top 5, if not impossible.
 
Re:

tobydawq said:
I know one rider who must be pretty bummed out over the amazing field.

I was listening to a podcast today with an interview with former Danish champion, Alexander Kamp. He is currently riding for Riwal but he really wants to go to the WorldTour. He has really sacrificed everything he possibly could this spring, even breaking up with his girlfriend to keep full focus on his cycling. And his biggest spring goal was the Brabantse Pijl which is the finest invitation they team has got. And he is suited to the race, but now it will be very difficult to go top 5, if not impossible.
The right people will be watching the race. They’ll know to distinguish between a top 10 in this field, vs a podium against the field from last year or the year before.
 
Feb 20, 2019
122
2
335
I don't know about this one, so many contenders. It won't be easy for any of the (many) favorites to win imo. Mathieu is getting a lot of votes, which is understandable, but with Ala, Wellens, Bling, Bettiol it's gonna be a tall order. There isn't a clear-cut favorite as far as I'm concerned. I just hope for an exciting race :exclaim:
 
Re:

Mavic said:
I don't know about this one, so many contenders. It won't be easy for any of the (many) favorites to win imo. Mathieu is getting a lot of votes, which is understandable, but with Ala, Wellens, Bling, Bettiol it's gonna be a tall order. There isn't a clear-cut favorite as far as I'm concerned. I just hope for an exciting race :exclaim:
IMO:

van der Poel - Alaphilippe
Wellens - Bettiol - Colbrelli - Teuns
Matthews - Vanendert - Mohoric - Valgren - Lampaert

And after that, there are plenty of guys that are capable of taking the win as well.
 
Feb 20, 2019
122
2
335
Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Mavic said:
I don't know about this one, so many contenders. It won't be easy for any of the (many) favorites to win imo. Mathieu is getting a lot of votes, which is understandable, but with Ala, Wellens, Bling, Bettiol it's gonna be a tall order. There isn't a clear-cut favorite as far as I'm concerned. I just hope for an exciting race :exclaim:
IMO:

van der Poel - Alaphilippe
Wellens - Bettiol - Colbrelli - Teuns
Matthews - Vanendert - Mohoric - Valgren - Lampaert

And after that, there are plenty of guys that are capable of taking the win as well.
I pretty much agree with that list tbh, though I think Wellens might deserve a spot next to Ala and Mathieu. We all know what Ala and Wellens can do in these types of races, we'll see if Mathieu can live up to the big expectations, though I'd never bet against him in any race. I can't wait for Wednesday.
 
Jul 13, 2016
792
0
0
Re:

tobydawq said:
I know one rider who must be pretty bummed out over the amazing field.

I was listening to a podcast today with an interview with former Danish champion, Alexander Kamp. He is currently riding for Riwal but he really wants to go to the WorldTour. He has really sacrificed everything he possibly could this spring, even breaking up with his girlfriend to keep full focus on his cycling. And his biggest spring goal was the Brabantse Pijl which is the finest invitation they team has got. And he is suited to the race, but now it will be very difficult to go top 5, if not impossible.
If I were him I should try to follow VdP when he does an early attack. Ride yourself in the picture.
 
I don't know, it depends on the race, how it will be ridden. If Van Der Poel or Wellens open things early, then everything is possible, but if they wait till the very end, it will be hard to drop Matthews and Colbrelli, and I doubt even Alaphilippe can beat these two on that final straight.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts