• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brabantse Pijl: April 17th, 2019

Who will win the Brabantse Pijl 2019?

• Alberto Bettiol

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Ben Hermans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daryl Impey

• Julian Alaphilippe

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Mathieu van der Poel

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Michael Matthews

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Petr Vakoč

• Sonny Colbrelli

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Tim Wellens

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After the cobblestones come the hilly classics. A different kind of rider can shine here, although some all-rounders can handle both. The race was held for the first time in 1961. Edwig Van Hooydonck holds the record with four wins. The race ends with four local laps of 23.4 km, containing five short climbs. The top of the Schavei lies 200 m before the finish.

profiel.jpg

Climbs in the four local laps:
1. Hagaard (21 km)
2. Hertstraat (17 km)
3. Holstheide (10 km)
4. IJskelderlaan (4 km)
5. Schavei (0.2 km)

Recent winners:
2009 Anthony Gheslin
2010 Sébastien Rosseler
2011 Philippe Gilbert
2012 Thomas Voeckler
2013 Peter Sagan
2014 Philippe Gilbert
2015 Ben Hermans
2016 Petr Vakoč
2017 Sonny Colbrelli
2018 Tim Wellens

I know one rider who must be pretty bummed out over the amazing field.

I was listening to a podcast today with an interview with former Danish champion, Alexander Kamp. He is currently riding for Riwal but he really wants to go to the WorldTour. He has really sacrificed everything he possibly could this spring, even breaking up with his girlfriend to keep full focus on his cycling. And his biggest spring goal was the Brabantse Pijl which is the finest invitation they team has got. And he is suited to the race, but now it will be very difficult to go top 5, if not impossible.

Re:

tobydawq said:

I was listening to a podcast today with an interview with former Danish champion, Alexander Kamp. He is currently riding for Riwal but he really wants to go to the WorldTour. He has really sacrificed everything he possibly could this spring, even breaking up with his girlfriend to keep full focus on his cycling. And his biggest spring goal was the Brabantse Pijl which is the finest invitation they team has got. And he is suited to the race, but now it will be very difficult to go top 5, if not impossible.
The right people will be watching the race. They’ll know to distinguish between a top 10 in this field, vs a podium against the field from last year or the year before.

I don't know about this one, so many contenders. It won't be easy for any of the (many) favorites to win imo. Mathieu is getting a lot of votes, which is understandable, but with Ala, Wellens, Bling, Bettiol it's gonna be a tall order. There isn't a clear-cut favorite as far as I'm concerned. I just hope for an exciting race :exclaim:

Re:

Mavic said:
I don't know about this one, so many contenders. It won't be easy for any of the (many) favorites to win imo. Mathieu is getting a lot of votes, which is understandable, but with Ala, Wellens, Bling, Bettiol it's gonna be a tall order. There isn't a clear-cut favorite as far as I'm concerned. I just hope for an exciting race :exclaim:

IMO:

van der Poel - Alaphilippe
Wellens - Bettiol - Colbrelli - Teuns
Matthews - Vanendert - Mohoric - Valgren - Lampaert

And after that, there are plenty of guys that are capable of taking the win as well.

Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Mavic said:

IMO:

van der Poel - Alaphilippe
Wellens - Bettiol - Colbrelli - Teuns
Matthews - Vanendert - Mohoric - Valgren - Lampaert

And after that, there are plenty of guys that are capable of taking the win as well.

I pretty much agree with that list tbh, though I think Wellens might deserve a spot next to Ala and Mathieu. We all know what Ala and Wellens can do in these types of races, we'll see if Mathieu can live up to the big expectations, though I'd never bet against him in any race. I can't wait for Wednesday.

Re:

tobydawq said:

If I were him I should try to follow VdP when he does an early attack. Ride yourself in the picture.

I don't know, it depends on the race, how it will be ridden. If Van Der Poel or Wellens open things early, then everything is possible, but if they wait till the very end, it will be hard to drop Matthews and Colbrelli, and I doubt even Alaphilippe can beat these two on that final straight.

TRENDING THREADS